The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Agreed. Pretty damn impressive. :eek:

2. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I'm the only one who thinks the likeness is off.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

You're not, although I do think it's very dang close.

4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

It's not Hot Toys's very best sculpt ever. (Loki may be that.) It is however instantly recognizable as Scarlett Johannsen as Black Widow. I've shown the closeup of the face to a few people while covering up the text and they all knew it was Black Widow immediately. Then they were shocked when they found out it was a picture of an action figure. It's still a hell of a lot better than their Thor. That one really needs some work before release.

My wallet dreads when Hot Toys starts revealing their Dark Knight Rises stuff.

5. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Loki and Hawkeye figures are so like the actors that they're almost scary!

I'm still waiting for my Diamond Select Hawkeye figure to arrive, but today I picked up the cute little Mini Muggs version of him:
    [​IMG]

A little Hawk in his nest! :lol:

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The soon-to-be released STAR WARS Movie Heroes and Clone Wars ships and vehicles. They're all repaints and reissues to save money, but have enough differences from previous releases to drive completionists and variant hunters mad.

These were originally supposed to be in stores this past spring but delays ensued that have kept them off of retail shelves until at least July or August. The Naboo Starfighter is particularly anticipated within the collecting community since there hasn't been one of these in stores since the original Episode I product glut of 1999-2000.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Shazam!

The Naboo fighter is more than a re-issue / re-paint. It has a bunch of new features such as a sliding canopy and astromech area. It's pretty much been redone from the ground up.

Grabbed a bargain on eBay: VOTC MOC IG-88 for a fiver.

8. cooleddie74

Ah! You're right...I was momentarily confused and, yes, the Naboo Fighter is more or less new with new features and detailing. Thanks for correcting me.

The other two are definitely repaints, though.

Given Hasbro's recent tendency to cut costs at every corner it's only understandable for a lot of us to confuse every new ship and vehicle with a previous release. So much recent product outside of the Vintage Collection has been shameless repacks of older(often crappy)stuff that it's become the knee-jerk, default reaction within the collecting community. :)

Congrats on the clamshell/Vintage-packaged IG-88!

9. Shazam!

I know! I had to stop a friend of mine from purchasing one of the Movie Heroes battle packs with decade old Chewie and Han figures.

10. cooleddie74

Yes, the "Rebel Heroes" Battle Pack. The set with the C-3PO so poorly made that his neck joint is loose enough for the head to pop clean off. That mold has been reused so many times it's a wonder that the Threepio figure isn't just a pile of random pieces. That entire Battle Pack is an insult. A 1999 Han, 2002 Chewie and a 2006 Threepio so poorly made that if you so much as look at him he'll fall apart.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that Naboo Starfighter is tempting. and i haven't bought any SW toys since 2008.

12. cooleddie74

There are precious few photos of the 2012 Naboo Starfighter outside of its box, but here's what's probably the best of them from, I believe, the 2011 New York City Comic Con. The fighter has been delayed, I think, twice for whatever reasons and should have come out in January or February to coincide with Episode I 3-D being in theaters, but in its infinite marketing wisdom Hasbro decided to put off the shelf date for this and the two repackaged and repainted vehicles above until sometime this summer.

This picture clearly shows the all-new sliding cockpit canopy as well as the improved surface detailing on the craft, which includes screen-accurate Naboo Futhork writing.

[​IMG]

13. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Jesus, that thing looks great. I had the original back when TMP came out in '99, but I sold it years ago. I might have to reconsider on this one. Does it come with the R2 unit?

Apparently, it's out in the Philippines already, so hopefully it'll be hitting stateside soon. This guy has a couple photos showing how the top opens to fit the astromech in.

14. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Sigh. I'm looking through my collection and I know that before I move I'm gonna have to sell some stuff. I really, really don't want to, though. My toys and statues are my babies. Some of this stuff has appreciated in value ridiculously, though. Such a though decision. My Hot Toys, DC Universe, Marvel Legends, and all of my statues are staying for damn sure.

15. cooleddie74

No, unfortunately the Fighter doesn't come with an Astromech droid. At least the original 1999 ship had a molded R2 droid dome that served as a button or something. Doesn't seem like including a figure with a vehicle is Hasbro's strong suit anymore unless we're talking about the upcoming MTT Troop Transport(which comes with a whopping 21 figures...although to be frank sixteen of them are little more than pre-posed little statues that can hold blaster rifles and one other is pretty ancient and nothing more than a cheap and gratuitous throw-in, so really there are only four that are modern and of any great quality).

All that said, the new Fighter looks incredible and I hope the recent horrible distribution issues on Hasbro's part don't affect Class II Vehicles like this. I'd like to get at least one, maybe two of them. It's been over a decade since a 3-3/4" scale Naboo Fighter has even been on the market.

16. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh. Well that sucks.

17. cooleddie74

Yeah. It does, but we're talking Hasbro in 2012 here. Those guys would blatantly cost-cut on the new Fighter itself if they thought no one would notice and they could get away with it.

18. cooleddie74

JUST ANNOUNCED!

The Toys 'R' Us STAR WARS Exclusives for this coming Fall!

TRU tends to get their exclusives in decent to excellent numbers, so finding these should be little or no trouble for most U.S. customers. :cool:

Oh, and here's the newly-released first packaged photo of the next in the continuing line of Target-exclusive Vintage multipacks based on the "Special Action Figure Sets" carried by some department stores in the early eighties. This is the tenth multipack in the series and the seventh one sold individually(the first three sets were bundled together in a big three-pack).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  19. cooleddie74

Sorry for the triple post in my own thread, but since several people here expressed a lot of interest in the brand-new 2012 Naboo Starfighter from Hasbro here's a brief but pretty good video review of the vehicle from online SW collecting luminary Adam Pawlus.

Enjoy! This fighter looks like it's gonna be amazing! :cool: :)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcU1d4Yfen8[/yt]

20. Shazam!

That R5-D4 doesn't look like BAD mold.