The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Hey, whatever makes you guys happy! If you've got 'em, use 'em and flaunt 'em! Sounds like your display is pretty fun to look at. It's always fun to put at least some of your toys and collectibles on display to look at and enjoy.

2. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

When my daughter got into Who a few years ago and we bought a couple of action figures for her (us) to play with, my wife suggested we subtly decorate the house with random Doctors. We're still in the moving-in process of our new house, but it has come to pass. "Find the Doctors" might just be a new party game!

We do think, however, that we've solved the theological mystery of the Wise Men to visit Jesus. It was Doctors 1, 2, and 3... and the Star of Bethlehem was simply their TARDIS.

3. cooleddie74

I'd use Tom Baker in a Nativity display just because the swaddling clothes could then be the Fourth Doctor's scarf. ;)

4. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

My wife found it at Wegman's, our supermarket. She said there were several there. May want to look at places like this around you.

5. cooleddie74

I might check our Walgreens stores. They sometimes get the toy items that the big-box retail chains have either long sold out of or never bothered to stock in the first place. Sometimes you find interesting product at a Walgreens.

6. Tom Hendricks

Here are my Christmas gifts to my wife, the 17" deluxe limited edition Elsa and Anna dolls. These things are f-ing gorgeous. You can't see it to well but the beading on Elsa's dress is simply amazing, there are little sparkly beads around her neck line. I had to get them on Ebay because they were sold out everywhere but they were totally worth it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. cooleddie74

Nice and cool Disney dolls. I'm always impressed with the level of detail they put into their premium-quality merchandise and even some of the cheaper, simpler stuff. If Disney ever did buy out Hasbro the quality of the company's figures and other merchandise would undoubtedly stay the same or even rise after such an acquisition.

In other news, Target stores seem to be clearancing their 3.75" Black Series and older Vintage Collection figures (both lines - unfortunately - share the same troublesome DPCI number thanks to Hasbro and Target not taking the time to assign a new one to the Black Series product when it debuted) so if the move works it should finally clear the peg walls in their stores of those unsold, lingering 3.75" characters that have been keeping newer and more interesting wave assortments from being stocked in the numbers they should be. It's something that should have already happened along with a change in the shared DPCI so the stores can differentiate between the two different figure lines and know which one to continue stocking, but better late than never.

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I finally saw Black Series Wave 2 at retail. It was just pegs full of Greedos and Leias, though, Looks like all the Fetts and Solos got picked clean before I got there. The search continues!

9. cooleddie74

Good luck, man. Greedo's the only Wave 2 figure in the 6" line that I'm still missing and I haven't seen him yet, but Han and Boba are out there. I found mine just two days before Christmas during the insane last-minute retail rush at one of my local malls (our biggest), so anything's possible.

They're worth it. Excellent figures, right down to Boba's most minute armor and weaponry details and Han's/Harrison Ford's chin scar.

10. Tom Hendricks

11. cooleddie74

Just breaking on the official Star Wars Facebook page.

The first glimpse at the very first action figure from next year's Rebels television series - the Inquisitor, one of the show's main villains.

[​IMG]

Looks like five points of articulation might be the standard for the new animated figure line, so I imagine this confirmation won't sit well with a whole lot of longtime collectors, but it's not as if Hasbro and others hadn't hinted at or directly said something about reduced articulation in recent months. Still, throwback articulation aside, the character himself looks kinda interesting. Sort of an Asajj Ventress thing going on with this new guy....maybe his species is the same as hers or he has some connection to the Clone Wars-era Separatists. With the double-bladed weapon and facial markings the creators look like they were going for a bit of a Darth Maul vibe, too.

12. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Happy New Year from Clint and Tasha!

[​IMG]

13. cooleddie74

How much did they have to drink last night? I saw the picture of Clint and the champagne glass.

14. Kira's Mom

Nothing! I wouldn't share. The champagne was free, but the waiters were stingy. :p

15. cooleddie74

It's often hard to get good service on New Year's Eve, isn't it? :)

16. Kira's Mom

I've done New Year's Eve at this place before...they usually leave the bottle on the table. Guess they had too few bottles this year.

17. cooleddie74

Looks like some Target stores may or may not be restocking the 3.75" Black Series action figures with the upcoming reset, the first one for the new year. Some individual stores (along with a lot of smaller Walmarts) have already stopped altogether or stock just a handful of new or newer figures so this may not be news for some of us here, but there's a discussion going on right now on one of the main collecting sites about whether retaining the old Vintage Collection DPCI in their computer and inventory systems means that more Black Series will show up or this is an indication that more backlogged Vintage case assortments from the past year or two will now begin shipping to some Targets.

For the record, Target and Hasbro never bothered to create a brand new DPCI for the new 3.75" Black Series line and just assigned it the same one that's been used for the Vintage Collection going back to the vastly overshipped Episode I figure wave assortments almost two years ago. This has meant that a random check of stock at any given stores only shows that either Vintage or Black Series could be in the back room, it doesn't specify which figure line. This has already caused some problems when leftover, lingering, unwanted Vintage figures (usually Episode I characters) remain in large enough numbers to prevent the store from restocking the pegs with newer product.

18. OdoWanKenobi

Noticed Amazon was having quite a sale, so I picked up the last figure for me from Batman Unlimited. I'm passing on the Arkham Origins and Beware the Batman stuff. They're next to impossible to find anyways. Here's Vampire Batman from the Red Rain storyline:
    [​IMG]

19. cooleddie74

According to Jedi Temple Archives' latest update, Wave 2 of Saga Legends (the one containing the sought-after $5.99 Stormtrooper with the amazing helmet sculpt) has just surfaced at American retail. This is the wave with the Stormtrooper and a new Boba Fett, Captain Rex and Commander Cody. Unfortunately, eight of the twelve figures in the case assortment are carry forwards from Wave 1 (do they ever learn?) which means that these four new characters will go fast, at least at first.

Personally, I've have made the new assortment six or seven of the new figures and carry forward only the more interesting figures from Wave 1 (Yoda, R4-P17, the white Clone Trooper) and doubled up on the Boba and Stormtrooper. Fans and collectors would handle the case ratios much better than Hasbro usually does.

20. OdoWanKenobi

I feel a disturbance in the Force. As if millions of wallets suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something awesome is happening:
    [​IMG]