New Ms. Marvel

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by A beaker full of death, Nov 8, 2013.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ninja'd by Nerys Myk, but I'm not gonna just dump this.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms.#Historical_development_and_revival_of_the_term:

Historical development and revival of the term

"Ms." (or at least the pronunciation associated with this spelling) began to be used as early as the 17th century, along with "Miss" and "Mrs.", as a title derived from the then formal "Mistress", which, like Mister, did not originally indicate marital status.[5][6] "Ms." in whatever form, however, fell into disuse in favor of the other two titles and was not revived until the 20th century.[7][8]

The earliest known proposal for the modern revival of "Ms." as a title appeared in The Republican of Springfield, Massachusetts on November 10, 1901:

There is a void in the English language which, with some diffidence, we undertake to fill. Every one has been put in an embarrassing position by ignorance of the status of some woman. To call a maiden Mrs is only a shade worse than to insult a matron with the inferior title Miss. Yet it is not always easy to know the facts...

Now, clearly, what is needed is a more comprehensive term which does homage to the sex without expressing any views as to their domestic situation, and what could be simpler or more logical than the retention of what the two doubtful terms have in common. The abbreviation "Ms" is simple, it is easy to write, and the person concerned can translate it properly according to circumstances. For oral use it might be rendered as "Mizz," which would be a close parallel to the practice long universal in many bucolic regions, where a slurred Mis' does duty for Miss and Mrs alike.[4]​

The term was again suggested as a convenience to writers of business letters by such publications as the Bulletin of the American Business Writing Association (1951) and The Simplified Letter, issued by the National Office Management Association (1952).[9]

In 1961, Sheila Michaels attempted to put the term into use when she saw what she thought was a typographical error on the address label of a copy of News & Letters sent to her roommate.[10][11] Michaels "was looking for a title for a woman who did not 'belong' to a man."[12] She knew the separation of the now common terms Miss and Mrs. had derived from "Mistress", but one could not suggest that women use the original title with its now louche connotations. Her efforts to promote use of a new honorific were at first ignored.[13] Around 1971, in a lull during a WBAI-radio interview with The Feminists group, Michaels suggested the use of Ms. A friend of Gloria Steinem heard the interview and suggested it as a title for her new magazine. Ms. magazine's popularity finally allowed the term to enjoy widespread usage.[14] In February 1972, the US Government Printing Office approved using "Ms." in official government documents.[15]

[...]

4. ^ a b Zimmer, Ben (2009-06-23). "Hunting the Elusive First 'Ms.'". Word Routes. The Visual Thesaurus. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
    5. ^ Spender, Dale (1981). Man Made Language. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul. ISBN 978-0-7100-0675-2.
    6. ^ Stannard, Una (1977). Mrs Man. San Francisco: Germainbooks. ISBN 978-0-914142-02-7.
    7. ^ [1][dead link]
    8. ^ Martin, Judith. Miss Manners' Guide for the Turn of the Millennium, p.10. Simon & Schuster, New York, New York. ISBN 0-671-72228-X.
    9. ^ "Ms.". The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. Houghton Mifflin Company. 2009.
    10. ^ Jeffs, Angela (November 5, 2000). "Missing piece of puzzle in story of 'Ms.'". The Japan Times Online.
    11. ^ Michaels, Sheila (March–April 2008). "Forty Years of Defying the Odds". Solidarity Webzine. Solidarity. Retrieved November 9, 2009.
    12. ^ Kay, Eve (28 June 2007). "Call Me Ms". The Guardian (accessed August 20, 2007)
    13. ^ Fishko, Sara (June 28, 2012). "Fishko Files: Ms.". WNYC. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
    14. ^ Zimmer, Ben (2009-10-25). "On Language: Ms.". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-11-16.
    15. ^ Frum, David (2000). How We Got Here: The '70s. New York, New York: Basic Books. p. 246. ISBN 0-465-04195-7.
    16. ^ Safire, William. "On Language: Goodbye Sex, Hello Gender", The New York Times, August 5, 1984, Section 6 p. 8.​

I'm not an expert on this, so I'm not claiming that this text is either factual or complete. However, it at least appears to be fairly well-referenced, and it doesn't seem implausible.

I won't go the extra mile to sort this all out, but I will go an extra foot. According to Merriam-Webster:

Merriam-Webster has the reputation of being an expert on American English, and what it says there is perfectly consistent with the Wikipedia article. Surely, if anyone wishes to deny the veracity of the Wikipedia article with the force of an opinion backed by evidence, they could provide references of their own.

That said, it looks like Ms. was indeed indeed revolutionary in the 1950's, whereas of course it isn't so much today. Additionally, it looks like Ms. was at least as much of an idea whose time had come as it was something disseminated from New York to the rest of the precious Heartland.

I don't know what else to make of this, except that it seems that the iguana has spoken truth.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The ignorant lecturing others about ignorance always makes me LOL.

ETA: This post is directed at Beaker, not CorporalCaptain.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would have dated it to the 70s because of Ms.Magazine.

Which is a question of relevance more so than date of origin, because I remember a character used Ms. in Grease II which was set in the 50s.

Oh my.

My brain works so slowly.

Inhuman society is more so strictly about arranged marriages than modern Muslims (My flatmate who I live with and her husband explained it as a series(literally, not a metaphor) of exclusive password locked chatrooms on an internet site, where the men and women are each given about 10 or so preapproved choices to pick from and then they figure out who they get along with best. She wasn't allowed to meet him in person for a year because they both had to prove that they were a good match before tens of thousands of dollars was spent on the wedding (it's a 3 day event. Soooo much food.). Of course this happened because they were both too socially awkward to find a partner in the western fashion, shy very shy, and their 30th birthdays were approaching, which no one was telling them that they were not allowed to do.) so after Kamala has spent her childhood trying to assert her rights as a modern woman to make her own choices, or agreed to a traditional application of her families needs to find a "suitable" parter, fricking space men from the moon are going to come down and supersede whatever marriage track she was on up to that point, even if there was none, the Attillian fricking Genetic Council are going to insist who it is that she is going to have children with and will probably get quite dramatic if she has an opposing view point on her own life contra to their own.

I'm getting ahead of myself, this is probably going to be in the third annual.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Given her powers "Ms. Fantastic" might be more appropriate, I've read very little Ms. Marvel but I don't see much connection beyond the moniker. My reservations are that instead of a superhero that happens to be Muslim it sounds like this might be a Muslim that happens to be a superhero. Then again, I guess that might make for good story fodder in its own right but nothing that has me hankering to go back to the local comic shop.

5. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I guess I could give you shit for this, but I am simply going to quote the following post, because really, what else could I add to it?

I think we are done here. Next time you are "terrified" of someone's ignorance, beaker, be sure you are not looking at a mirror.

6. Guy Gardener

Captain Marvel 17.

Came out two weeks ago.

The first word in the comic?

"Ms."

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

It wasn't "Good thing I'm invulnerable while I'm blastin"?

8. Guy Gardener

Dating Smasher now, you have to wonder if like the myth of Superman, that her power might be tied into her sexuality... That Sam has to be blasting while frakking to avoid being smashed.

9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

The recent issue of Captain Marvel teased the new Ms. Marvel. Apparently she's a fan of Carol's. So even if her powers aren't the same she's at least taking the name out of tribute to Carol.