Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I've been Netflix-streaming Alias lately and noticed a couple of TOS faces, namely Joseph Ruskin in a recurring role and Janet MacLachlan as a one-shot. Plus TNG guest Terry O'Quinn in an ongoing role in season 2.

2. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Evil Brownie!!

[​IMG]

3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Oh my, Korob is in KAOS too!

[​IMG]

But Subcommander Tal is a good guy!

[​IMG]

(Both from Get Smart, "On the Orient Express")

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I'm starting to picture actors skipping back and forth between the Trek and Get Smart studios! Karen Steele and Tanya Lemani in the same episode. Karen doing an Abbot & Costello routine with Max, and Tanya doing what Tanya did best!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Just yesterday, after all these years, I found out that David Soul (from 'The Apple' and "Starsky and Hutch") sung "Don't Give Up on Me Baby" from the 1970s; a pretty popular song which I'm sure still plays on those 'easy listening' stations.

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

He was multi-talented!

Well... he TRIED to be multi-talented.

:vulcan:

7. Christopher

I have a vague impression from my '70s childhood of thinking of David Soul as a singer as much as an actor. Although I might well be confusing him with Shaun Cassidy, since they were both the blond pretty-boy members of TV duos with dark-haired partners (Starsky and Hutch for Soul and The Hardy Boys for Cassidy).

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And he also starred in the first TV version of Salem's Lot.

9. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

He paved the way for David Hasselhoff.

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

David McCallum had them both beat...he was making albums in the 60s. A friend's mom had one of them.

11. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found out David Soul's real name was Solbird because one of my dad's cousins saw him in a Starsky and Hutch episode and recognized him from college and told us what he went by back then.

12. MGagen

MGagen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This may be stretching it a bit, but I just saw Hotel Transylvania last night and was surprised to see a guest appearance by the Mugato from "A Private Little War."

At least it was a white, furry, gorrilla-type creature with a single sharp curved horn on the top of his head.

Seems likely someone working on that show was a classic Trek fan...

M.

13. The Old Mixer

Right now COZI is playing a 1965 episode of The Virginian with Michael Ansara as the town marshall and Leonard Nimoy as his deputy!

Another guest star is Peter Whitney, whom I've seen on The Rifleman a lot....I think he would have made a great TOS Klingon.

14. The Old Mixer

Meanwhile on Me-TV...there's Marianna Hill on a 1970 episode of Daniel Boone...playing Abraham Lincoln's future mom!

15. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought David Soul's real name was Solberg! His family being descended from German Lutherans, or so I've read!
    JB

16. FormerLurker

If true, I would blame the agents on Ellis Island. They were notorious for just making up names for the immigrants if they didn't have a strong command of English. There was a scene in the Ellis Island miniseries from the late '80s/early '90s of an agent giving a German immigrant the name Ike Ferguson because the German was so nervous he forgot his English and said so: "Ich vergessen."

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Kind of like the Alien Nation TV series, where some of the Newcomers wound up with names like May O'Naize just because the INS workers were so bored and overworked...

(David Soul, however, was born in America, as IIRC his father also was. Only reason he changed his name was because of his acting career.)

18. Christopher

Yeah... but it always kind of bugged me that they established that the real name of George Francisco -- who'd been named Sam Francisco by the INS and nicknamed George by his partner -- was Stangya Soren'tzaah. With a name like that, you'd think they would've called him Stanley Sorenson.

Some Alien Nation writers did come up with pretty clever joke names for Newcomers. I recall that the comics had characters with names like Gloria Mundy and Amanda Reckonwith.

19. FormerLurker

There's a story behind 'George Francisco'. It seems when the film was in production the script had been written with the character named 'George Jetson', and most of the film had been shot when they received word that Hanna-Barbera Productions would not release the character name for them to use. They scrambled to come up with another name and came up with Sam Francisco, and had his human partner complain about it, insisting he instead call him George. This way they didn't have to reshoot any critical scenes where the character was already addressed as George.

Then the series had everyone call him George.:wtf:

20. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A two-fer in a 1959 episode of the old syndicated series State Trooper: DeForest Kelley and Ian Wolfe, but unfortunately they weren't in a scene together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]