TNG Special: Chaos On The Bridge...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Warped9, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised I haven't seen anything posted about this here.

http://www.subspacecommunique.com/c...k-tng-documentary-chaos-bridge-debuts-tonight

William Shatner has written and produced a documentary special about the beginnings of TNG called Chaos On The Bridge. He interviews original cast members, writers and others in a candid look at the rough early days of development and production of TNG.

It was to air this evening on HBO Canada. Unfortunately I don't have HBO and I was wondering if anyone else here watched the special. I'm hoping to get to see it eventually somehow.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Sounds interesting. I enjoyed his documentary The Captains (especially the segments with Patrick Stewart and Avery Brooks). I hadn't heard anything about it airing here in the States, so I'll probably end up seeing it when it goes to DVD or Netflix streaming.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

4. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Sounds like an interesting documentary. (Here's an article on TrekMovie about it.) Unfortunately, I don't get HBO Canada, so I guess it will be a while before I am able to see it.

5. Jonesy

Jonesy Commodore Commodore

This is the doc that I have been waiting to be made. Some of this material was touched upon on Rod Roddenberry's documentary about his experience with Trek (DC Fontanta's part in particular), but it will be interesting to see just what is presented here.

This is really the part of TNG that...fandom and those involved in the show have shied away from.

6. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't help when they want you to pay $16 a month for the channel package HBO is included on that you'll never watch again.

7. CaptainBender

CaptainBender Ensign Newbie

I know what I'm watching when I get home tonight! It's a bit silly to lock it to HBO though...feel like they could have made more money elsewhere but what do I know?

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I don't have HBO so I hope it will become available some other way afterward.

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

"The Captains" came out on DVD (twice!) so I expect this one will too. Hope so, it'll probably be my only chance to see it.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Aaaaaand, who saw it?

11. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Captains? I saw it on Netflix.

12. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Think he was asking more about "Chaos on the Bridge" than the "Captains."

13. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Would be nice if someone put it on YouTube.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Would be intellectual property theft if someone put it on Youtube.

(That said, I completely agree :D ...although it might warrant a TV rip at some point though. Yarrrr!)

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

We had HBO Canada awhile ago, but we gave it up because it was part of a package we just weren't using enough and spending money for it that we felt was a waste.

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw this, it was pretty interesting

18. Spectral

Spectral Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I watched this, finally, earlier today. I've seen someone else mention it could have been twice as long, and I agree. Obviously, I've heard plenty about how difficult it was to work on this show in the early years, but I'm not nearly as familiar with a lot of the major players (specific writers, studio guys, production people) as many posters here. And, man, it truly did seem like complete chaos. It was pretty clear there was so much going on, they only had time to skim the surface of it in this documentary. Probably the documentary just didn't have the budget to do more. Not to mention, they totally had to edit a lot of opinions and stories because you could just tell there were some nasty and juicy details being said that there was no way they wanted to air. Even 25 years later.

Now I really can't believe the show went on and became as successful as it ultimately did. With that level of infighting, conflict and bad blood, the show seemed to be hanging on by its fingernails. In my opinion, it seems like one of the crucial points in its survival may have been the dumb luck of at least casting the show with actors who actually enjoyed each other, bonded and were able to create a fun environment for themselves in spite of the madness behind the scenes. I think that must comes though. Something cohesive had to. If a disgruntled cast with no chemistry or with their own infighting were in place along with everything else, the odds it would have crumbled fast might have been a sure thing. So, sheesh, kudos to everyone who fought to making TNG happen.

I also think Shatner presented it with professional detachment and a nice level of reservedness you can't always attribute to ol' Bill. There might not be much new information here for people who already have a good knowledge of the early production drama, but I found it interesting and worth a watch.

19. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

For those that missed the news item, the movie can be rented on Vimeo in the US for $8.

Er... seems a bit steep. Hoping it'll come to Amazon Prime or Netflix before long.