Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Exactly.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Sorry, no.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spectator+sport?s=t&path=/
    It's not subjectively defined by whether you, the speaker, are a spectator or a participant. It's objectively defined by the context in which the sport is performed.

3. Mr Awe

^ Ok, you're right, but not sure what your point is?

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No point beyond providing accurate information.

5. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

The sport is watching missing episodes get returned.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

For me, the sport is watching people argue about whether or not there are episodes to be returned -- people with nebulous sources who say yes, people who connections who say no (but then turn out to be lying), people who like parsing what the people with connections say, people who just want to stir things up. That's a spectator sport all of its own. :)

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

And then you throw Ian Levine into the mix.

8. Allyn Gibson

True, that!

The current rumor, by the way, is that there will be a massive 40-episode announcement around Easter, almost all Hartnell, with another Troughton announcement to cover the balance at the end of the year.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Watching Ian Levine is a sport all it's own, LOL.

Easter, WTF!!! Marco Polo's Anniversary is February 22, why are they waiting so long (Though, last ep was April 4) ;)

10. Candlelight

I don't know how people spreading those rumours can be believed; if you are deep enough down the rabbit hole to know how many episodes are coming then it stands to reason you'd know which ones they are!

I would love more to come and don't mind the waiting (if it's all true) but any rumours beforehand I just ignore.

The ONLY rumour I've taken notice of retrospectively is the MEW rumour, mainly because parts of it wee on the money but also two thirds of it has been proven correct! Still, we wait and we wonder.

11. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At two days into the Winter Olympics, I'm praying for an announcement as I need something worth watching!

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I see Ian Levine has broken the news of director Christopher Barry's death in the most spectacularly insensitive way possible, relating to Morris and supposed missing episode finds... "another person who'll never see what Phil Morris is holding back." What a fucking douchebag.

He deleted the Tweet later, of course...

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Ya, know, I can only hope Ian Levine has a drinking problem or a drug problem. I can't imagine some of the stuff that flies off his fingers isn't stopped by his decorum meter if he's not tanked up on something

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

No, that's Ian Levene for you and now you can undersatand why RTD told him to "Fuck off." at a press conference.

15. Allyn Gibson

Some people never develop a decorum meter. Levine seems to be one of those people.

Would that be when Levine had a secret memorandum to the effect that RTD, Gardner, and Tennant were all quitting at the same time with the intention of forcing the BBC to cancel the program? Which was later followed by Levine gloating that he had singlehandedly saved the program because he had embarrassed the BBC into not cancelling it?

16. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

No, it was at a Torchwood press conference in 2006.

17. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Yet another reason RTD doesn't get enough credit! :lol:

18. Flibble

Flibble Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Back in the good old/bad old days of the 80's, it was often rumoured that Ian levine (and others) had in their collection some of the missing episodes.

Also the BBC are running out of stories to put on DVD to sell. If anything new is to be released would the BBC not want to publicise this fact so we can all save some of our hard earned money to spend on them?

19. Mr Awe

^ It would seem that if (big if) there are more recovered episodes, the BBC doesn't have them, but Phil Morris who is the hold up.

Mr Awe

20. Candlelight

Ian came into contact with a collector who had seven episodes, including The Abominable Snowmen 2 (which he returned almost immediately) and Invasion of the Dinosaurs 1 (which he retained for 12 months as bargaining material should anything else turn up). He also had two unedited episodes of The Time Meddler, which he didn't return straight away as they weren't his property. Given Ian's ego play a large part in his motivations it's highly unlikely he would retain anything for his own means; he likes the glory. :)

Depends on the reasons; if the "Phil Morris" has them is the reason then it's fairly weak. He has no reason to retain them as he doesn't sound like the kind of person who would retain episodes for money. Asking the BBC to grant him access to other parts of the world might be a better reason.

If the iTunes distribution met with success then that would also be a new factor; retain the announcement until the episodes are ready for immediate release then do it all at once.