Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Bleeding Cool is reporting on the rumor that there are some discovered episodes soon to make a return.

This particular rumor has been floating around for about a year, since the "Galaxy 4" and "Underwater Menace" returns. Now it's picking up steam.

And "Evil of the Daleks" gets a mention.

I think the "full Hartnell," however, is unlikely, because we'll never, ever see "The Feast of Steven" again.

We shall see.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

Bleeding Cool reports that there have been rumors going around about a very special surprise for the anniversary: An announcement that a number of previously lost Doctor Who episodes have been recovered, including fan favorite Evil of the Daleks.

While this is all rumors and such, I certainly hope it's true. This isn't first time I've heard something along these lines, especially in regards to Evil of the Daleks, so hopefully there's some truth to it.

3. The Nth Doctor

Blast you, Allyn, you beat me to the punch!

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

If this is a hoax, it's a very cruel one. It would be awesome if true, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

5. Allyn Gibson

"Cruel" is, I think, a little strong. :)

6. Captain Dago

Captain Dago Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If even a quarter of this is true, it would be FANTASTIC!

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

This will be so cool if true. Even if only a few episodes are recovered of stories that already have something still existing, it may be enough to at least animate more stories

Can you imagine if you were a Warehouse worker (and knowledgable enough in the fandom to know what a find it was), and happened across a box filled with canisters of Doctor Who episodes while you clearing out an old section of the warehouse

So, is it a safe assumption, that this rumor has now become so strong, there almost has to be something to it? IE: There has to at the very least be 1 episode, even if the whispering of the story from person to person pumped it up to lots and lots. Or is it still likely it's a complete load of hogwassh?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  8. Allyn Gibson

One rumor that's circulating is that a large mass of material has been found/was recovered, and that this happened either with or close in time to "The Underwater Menace" and "Galaxy 4." When those episodes made their premiere at the British Film Institute, the rumor was that was just the tip of the iceberg; people in the know knew that there was more than just those two.

Then specific names started getting tossed around. "Marco Polo." "The Enemy of the World." Possibly "Evil of the Daleks." (And yes, I know how unlikely a recovery of "Evil" is.)

Rich Johnston of Bleeding Cool says that he's heard from his sources that sixty episodes have been recovered. I can't believe that. No, wait, I can. But I won't believe that. Because that's impossible.

9. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For those that believe this:

Congratulations! You are the 100th reader of this post and have won a million pounds. All I require are your bank account and PIN number, to be sent to my friend in Nigeria.

10. Sindatur

Yea, I remembering reading "There's more, they're holding out on us".

60? OMG, my wildest dreams didn't even dare fantasize about more than 10 episode in one shot. 10 Episodes would cause a total fangasm, IMHO.

Wow, just... wow, this will be like taking a bath in awesome sauce if there's any truth to it.

DalekJim, yea, it's pretty incredible, but, this is BleedingCool we're talking about, after holding back on it for over a year and half, it's a pretty low chance that there's isn't some kind of smoke for the fire. Sure 60 could very well be an exaggeration, but, hard to believe it's complete BS. They're not known for just blurting any old rumor with no substance, without stating there is absolutely no substance. This article sounds like the author is holding back on some of the wilder claims

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

They say "maybe full Hartnell" but wouldn't that be impossible? Isn't Feast of Steven completely lost and irretrievable?

12. Allyn Gibson

As I understand it, yes. That one was made to be transmitted once. It wasn't offered for sale abroad.

13. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It all strikes me as people going "It's the 50th Anniversary so wouldn't it be wonderful if lots of missing episodes were found."

14. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's hoping Tenth Planet and Celestial Toymaker are found! Tenth Planet because c'mon, first regeneration and first cybermen, yes please! Celestial Toymaker as I saw the surviving fourth episode and loved it. Probably my favourite Hartnel episode I've seen.

15. The Nth Doctor

Which is just as well because it was abysmal (based on what I've seen from the fan reconstruction). :p

16. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Eh...would the BBC really sit on these episodes with no announcement for that long? And be able to keep it a secret? The last time this happened, someone inside the BBC leaked The Underwater Menace.

That being said, I'd be really really excited if this is true because it would be absolutely fantastic. Just trying not to get my hopes up.

17. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Because nothing in Doctor Who fandom can happen without an overreaction from Gallifrey Base, the forum director posted this in the missing episodes thread there, with the first two lines in red:
    Which led someone to suggest that he knew something, which led him to post this:
    Which led as day leads to night to this, and a temporary thread closure:

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Exciting if true. So reading this it seams a station or related entity in Africa was retaining what they broadcast. Definitely plausible I suppose

19. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

The most obvious problem with the rumor is that "Evil of the Daleks" was never sold anywhere in Africa, so the odds of this eccentric engineer having had access to prints of it are pretty slim.

20. Sindatur

So, about negotiations...If indeed someone does have a large stash of episodes that were original copies intended for broadcast, and BBC doesn't want to meet their price, then what happens? The person/entity holding them can't do anything financially gainful with them right? Only the BBC can purchase them for profit making ventures, right? Unless some Millionaire/Billionaire was to grab them up for their Private Collection?