The Big Bang Theory Season 6 Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by trekkiebaggio, Oct 5, 2012.

1. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

That's not how it works in real life though. No one in the hard sciences like physics actually pays to go to grad school. The supposed tuition ends up getting covered by the department, and they end up paying you a stipend either for TAing, or for doing research (or both).

In any case, the show isn't trying to be realistic about their careers. According to The Staircase Implementation, they've all been at Caltech since ~5 years before the show started, for a total of something like 10 years now, even though they were in their mid/late 20s in Season 1? When did these people go to grad school? Why are they working in non-tenure jobs at the same university for 10 years?

That's not how academic jobs work. If you're on a research track, you go to grad school, get your PhD, spend ~5 years or so in two different postdoc jobs or so before getting a tenured faculty position somewhere (if you're lucky). You don't spend a full decade at one institution without tenure. Maybe that'll happen in the rare case, but it wouldn't happen for all four of these guys (well.....three, since Howard is in a different situation without a PhD). Why hasn't any of them moved on to another job, or applied for a faculty job by now? It's sort of like Riker on TNG, remaining first officer of the Enterprise for 15 years.

But it doesn't matter. Like I said, they're not trying to be realistic about this stuff, so just it's probably best just to ignore it.

2. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

They haven't moved on because, in case no one noticed, they are all emotionally stunted. It would be very hard for them to change work places (yet alone seating places for some).

3. Stiletto

Stiletto Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyone think it is time that Raj lost his quirk of not being able to talk to women? That is getting old.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Agreed. At this point, it's just getting in the way.

5. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

lately it seems like he's drunk all the time just so he gets some lines.

6. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

It's clearly psychological, considering simply taking a sip of a beverage is enough to get his courage up in several instances.

(Not that I'm saying it could be anything but psychological).

7. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

In one episode where they took a train ride (and met Summer Glau) he drank an alcohol free beer and talked to the female Terminator without realizing he wasn't buzzed at all.. when they pointed it out he immediately shut down again.

Agreed though.. that particular gag is played out but for some reason they don't want to let it go. Ah well.. sometimes it still makes for a funny scene.

8. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

^There have been a few instances where he's talked with Penny in the room and hasn't realised until someone points it out, then he promptly shuts up as well.

It does seem to be they just keep it around because it's an easy gag.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Next week, on a very special episode of the Big Bang Theory, "The Rajesh Intervention".

10. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

He's also able to whisper into Howard's ear to be able to convey his thoughts when there is a female present, as long as he believes the female can't hear what he's whispering. He's been overheard, and will shut up as well.

11. wissaboo

Leonard's mom needs to come and cure him. I love Leonard's mom. Ohh and then she could pick up her wierd connection with Sheldon and Amy could get all jelous.

they need to hire me to write this stuff.

12. trekkiebaggio

Sheldon playing Pictionary was hilarious, "It's not a present, it's the present." :guffaw:

13. Stiletto

Stiletto Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's been a while, but this was finally a show I was laughing the whole time during.

14. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved how even Amy was looking at Sheldon like he was crazy.

15. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Wow! Last night's episode had Penny REALLY warming up to Leonard. Marriage perhaps?

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I gotta admit: Leonard was actually likeable last night. It helped that he seemed genuinely enthusiastic about his experiments (and all the sex).

17. trekkiebaggio

Yeah it was nice, probably because in the lab he's in his element. I do like that Bernadette and Amy called out Penny's attitude.

I also liked Sheldon's list of couple costumes, and Bernadette made one hell of a Smurfette!

18. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah.. Leonard's speech about metaphysics was quite engaging and Penny's reaction understandable.. loved the scene.

Of course it was even more hilarious that they behaved like horny teenagers afterwards throughout the episode :lol:

Bernadette as Smurfette.. one of the hottest things i ever saw! :techman:

19. wissaboo

I've been starting to dislike Penny because of her attitude towards Leonard, I'm glad they turned that around.

and I was kinda hoping for Amy and Sheldon to show up in some amazing glamorous hollywood costume that would blow everybody away

20. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was...a LOT...of blue!

Amy sure has changed. I think it's that she never included in her calculations the possibility of finding someone compatible.