Star Wars saga on Blu-Ray announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Apr 19, 2010.

1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I'm surprised to hear they're working on a Blu-Ray for the original trilogy. I'd heard somewhere that the original trilogy would look like crap in HD because you can see all these flaws, like the 2 different shades of black paint used on Darth Vader's helmet.

Personally, if they plan on doing any more tinkering with the FX, I'd really like for them to redo the lightsaber blades for A New Hope & The Empire Strikes Back. They lack consistency in thickness & color from shot to shot, particularly compared to the prequels & Return of the Jedi.

They did change it slightly for the 2004 DVD release. Rather than Greedo plainly shooting first, it's now more of a quick-draw situation. It's still an unneccessary change from the original Han shooting first from 1977, however, I'm willing to settle for it because at least it looks a lot less stupid than the 1997 version.

Why? Currently, Arizona's 2 senators in the U.S. Senate are John McCain & Jon Kyl. And the 2004 Democrat Presidential ticket was John Kerry & John Edwards.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ And of course the entire workforce of Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems is named John. ;)

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

No, it still looks stupid since Han's head and upper body shifts and bends the very fabric of space to move to the side and he maintians the same, stolid, look on his face as if he's not moving the fabric of reality itself to dodge the moving at the speed of light laser blast!

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Well, that settles it. Han must be a Jedi, too. :shifty:

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

CANON VIOLATION!!!

6. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    That goes for any movie or TV show shot on actual film. You're going to see the flaws, but that's the tradeoff for the increased detail overall.

They're putting out old silent films on BluRay, warts and all, because the film still has more resolution than DVD or Bluray, and the intent is to show movies closer and closer to their original form. Seeing things like different shades of paint on your big screen TV via Bluray is really no different than seeing them on a 40' screen projected via film.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The real question here is will they remove those smudges on the Emperor in RotJ and replace the TMP Yoda puppet with the digital one?

8. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

And the low budget TV series known as "Star Trek" in the mid-1960s would probably look awful too, eh?

Season 1 Star Trek http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showpost.php?p=3230780&postcount=378

STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SEASON ONE on Blu-Ray review
    http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/feature008.html

Yes the resolution allows you to see this.
    The standard definition resolution on the 2004 season DVD sets is adequate to see the stories as they were created for television in NTSC in the mid-1960s.

High Definition video shows all that the 35mm film recorded on the day it was shot for better or worse... It may take away from some storytelling fantasy world.
    Some people care. Some don't.
    If you really want to see if it matters ask a 8-10 year old kid who is watching an episode in HD and if they have any issue with finding things 'looking fake'. I think if they don't then they won't have a problem with Star Wars in HD.

9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I am a big fan of the film, and so everytime people discuss "Han shooting first," I get extremeely confused.

Han did not shoot first.

Saying he did implies that someone else was shooting as well, and this was simply not the case.

Han fired a shot, and killed Greedo. Greedo did not fire at all!

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Adrian Dunbar, not Jimmy Smits, played Bail Organa/Antilles in scenes cut from The Phantom Menace. I believe this has something to do with it.

I suspect that some time late in the production of TPM, it was decided that Organa would have a more prominent role in Attack of the Clones and that an actor better known to American audiences would be more suitable. As such, they cut Dunbar's scenes and retconned all mention of him to call him "Antilles" instead.

I'm not sure why Antilles can't be a different person. Surely you don't have to be a member of Alderaan's royal family to represent them in the Senate. That's not very democratic, is it ?

11. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Personally, I'd be happier with the full version of the second Biggs scene, where Red Leader mentions that he flew with Anakin Skywalker in the Clone Wars and thought he was Cool As Shit.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

This is being needlessly pedantic (I know, shocker coming from you.)

Han shot first, that no one shot second is irrelevant.

Besides, it plays a better contrast in the meme to say "Han shot first vs. Greedo shot first" vs. "Han shot vs Geedo shoots first."

13. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I only hope Greedo shoots *everyone* first this time round. That guy didn't even get a chance in the original version.

14. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I don't know. I don't have an HDTV myself. (Although there are moments even on the standard DVD release where I can see the seam between Leonard Nimoy's real ear & the fake Vulcan ear. I don't look forward to seeing this exacerbated in HD.)

When I was speaking of Star Wars in HD, I was talking more about what I had heard was the official Lucas position, not my own views.

And that way there wouldn't be the continuity error where R2-D2 suddenly jumps 3 feet in the air.

I say it looks "less stupid" rather than "not stupid at all" because at least the 2004 version happens so fast that there's not a lot of time to dwell on it. The 1997 version totally disrupts the flow of the scene.