Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah, I've never read any of his. Apparently the birthing house is supposed to be one of his better ones.

2. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, they leaked a cover story that they'd got four episodes back, but they were just slightly better condition prints of An Unearthly Child.

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I, too, will be a double dipper. Something I almost never do, especially buying the different formats so close to each other. But, it's a great way to celebrate the 50th!

I've already downloaded Enemy and will watch it this weekend. I have to finish War Games first, which I thought was going to be my last Troughton until Moonbase comes out. So, I'm pleasantly surprised!

This has puzzled me as well. Clearly, they waited to announce anything until it was all set. Ordinarily, that wouldn't be a big deal to me as I'm not an urgent consumer of media.

However, this time, it fostered the omnirumor and the rampant up and downs of a rollercoaster ride! It was not a fun ride for fans leading to excitement and dissappointment. A definitive announcement could've settled it. "This is what we've found, but it's not ready to release. Enemy and Web will be released on iTunes before the anniversary."

Also, we STILL don't know the true number of finds. As far as I know, the BBC hasn't definitely said this was all, just that was all they're announcing at this time. Still not sure if I should believe the rumors or not! So, it goes on thanks to the BBC's deceptiveness!

It just fits with my dim view of how the BBC is managed.

All in all, it has a great ending even if it's "just" Enemy and Web, two top notch stories that I've wanted to see for decades! I just wish we had a definitive answer about whether we should expect more, or not!

Mr Awe

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I bought Enemy, but, Episode 4 crapped out on me during the download? What do you do about iTunes messing up like that? Episode 4 is in a separate folder "downloading", where as the rest of them the episodes are in a folder called "TV Shows"

Also, not really happy with the Streaming on iTunes, the synch is off between video and audio and it doesn't appear to be playing at the proper speed either. And, it doesn't appear I can burn them to DVD, so, it seems I pretty much wasted my $9.99 since I can't watch them from iTunes at the proper speed and can't burn them so I can watch them on my DVD Player :(

Over the weekend, I'll try shutting down some processes, to see if that improves my performance, but, episode 4 really chaps my hide. So, if anyone can tell me how I reaquire that from iTunes, it would be much appreciated (I've never used iTunes before this, I do all my audios through Big Finish and Audible.com or Amazon)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I had the same problem. I closed iTunes, reopened it, went back to the web page and click download again. iTunes continued the download from where it left off. Annoying, but it works (at least for me).

6. Sindatur

Ah, OK, I'll try that tonight, thanks. No additional charge, right? It will just automatically know you paid already, and will already be ready for download, just like if something is in your library at Audible or Big Finish?

7. The Nth Doctor

It theoretically should recognize that you've already paid. I have an Apple ID account. How did you pay?

8. Sindatur

I created an account, hooked up to my ATM Card, and the money has already been debited on my checking account this morning.

9. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is why I am not getting them. It's far too restrictive on how you can watch what you buy.

10. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Beeb have clarified the information on the provisional covers is wrong and we're looking at single disc (and presumably extra light if not extraless) releases.

11. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

There are no television series availabe on iTunes here, so I'll watch these stories on DVD, I guess.

12. Sindatur

Oh, and is there a way to get statistics on how many iTunes downloads have been bought for these, so we can get an idea how well they're doing (not that number alone will mean a whole lot, without knowing how much they paid for the episodes, but, it would at least give a general idea of the popularity after maybe a week of availability)

13. The Nth Doctor

You should be fine. I looked at my bank account earlier and I've only been charged once for each serial.

14. inflatabledalek

Three episodes into Enemy...Gotta love how, after inititally joking joking about how it being in black and white meant we'd be at least spared Letts poor CSO usage, he still managed to sneak in the monochrome equivalent with a poorly back projected garden. But bloody hell, Patrick Troughton really is brilliant and elevates the whole thing beyond how it comes across in audio/recons. As good as what Loose Cannon do is, nothing can actually equal him running along the beach in his long johns clicking his heels together with joy. Nor his priceless face of glee when he's told by Astrid what a brilliant man he is and how it falls into a grump after she says he'll probably die.
    Nice to have the long standing vagueness over when the story is set firmly solved by a big close up of a sign with the year on it as well (2018 rather than the more often guessed 2017).

15. Mr Awe

^ Probably best to put comments like these in the review grading threads. That way we can all watch unspoiled. Not that your post contained huge spoilers but, IMO, it would be nice to keep all of these comments there.

16. inflatabledalek

Cool, hadn't seen the threads. Though anyone really keen to skip spoilers should also avoid The Enemy of the World trailer, which amongst other things includes:

Giles Kent acting like an obvious villain, the fact the "Doctor" who boards the Tardis isn't really him and the resolution to the whole story with him being sucked off into space.

I was actually a bit surprised by that, especially as the Web one is much more plot protective.

17. Mr Awe

^ No worries, but Candlelight was nice enough to set those up!

18. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

No hard numbers yet (possibly there'll be some later), but they hit number one (Web) and number two (Enemy) on the UK iTunes bestseller lists for TV seasons, and are currently number two (Enemy) and number four (Web) on the same list in the US. Which is pretty impressive for decades-old black-and-white material.

19. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was surprised, and annoyed, about that, too.

20. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Neil Gaiman and John Leve were on Radio 4's Saturday Live chat show this morning, discussing The Web of Fear. Listen Again and download both available, subject to country restrictions.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03ccvtp