The Big Bang Theory Season 6 Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by trekkiebaggio, Oct 5, 2012.

1. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

So we're a couple of episodes into the new series, it's been pretty good so far.

I like how they've paired up Raj with Stewart. His whining about being the only single one was getting tiresome and it seemed like the writers didn't really know what to do with the character.

Sheldon seems to be becoming a bit more sympathetic to other people's feelings. I really liked the moment in the last episode when he told Penny "please don't hurt my friend."

Penny, Penny, Penny...seems like she and Leonard are going to be 'off' again soon. I kinda hope it stays 'off' permanently. It seems like she's never going to truly love him.

2. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yes.. that "Please don't hurt my friend" was the most touching and human moment Sheldon has ever shown and Jim Parsons delivered it perfectly.. a little awww escaped from me (good thing i was watching alone ;)).

As to Penny.. really getting fed up with her a bit. Luckily i read an interview with Chuck Lorre who basically said it follows a plan they're having namely that a big thing this season is the bad timing of Penny and Leonard and that Penny has a little bit of growing up to do.

For once i'd like to have Leonard dump her when (and if) he finds out.. he needs to man up a bit which coincidentally is maybe what Penny needs.. someone to stand up to her bullshit because honestly.. she'll most likely not find a guy this good amongst the usual idiots she favored previously.

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Was it me, or did she put on some weight?

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The character works in the A Cheese Cake Factory, and should be a lot heavier than than the actress.

More to love?

Or is it that she's just heavier than she was on Charmed?

5. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Anyone thinks that Leonard is going to put a bun in Penny's oven?

6. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That would certainly mix things up a bit.
    I really like how amid his many quirks, Sheldon is having little moments of genuine emotional growth and expression. His moment with Penny, "Don't hurt my friend," was touching and shows how much he's grown as a person.

The countdown to Soft Kitty is on.

7. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

It was the most ..... human thing Sheldon has ever said
    "Penny, please don't hurt my friend". Maybe Amy has a chance after all.

8. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The scene where Bernadette and Amy express romantic infatuation/irrepressible lust for Howard and Sheldon pretty much says that there will be no Penny and Leonard, except tacked on arbitrarily in the last episode, maybe. It's true that you could see Howard/Bernadette and Sheldon/Amy both as tragicomic mesalliance.

Instead, Penny's foolishness about men makes Leonard look like a good catch. Especially since Leonard is the King of Foreplay. Except that women are not supposed to just want sex for pleasure, they only consummate a grand passion when the Power of True Love has melted all barriers, leaving them free to be carried away by an irresistible tide that has nothing, nothing, to do with lust.

It is unlikely that Chuck Lorre is aiming, consciously or not, at such reality based comedy, he's into farce. Except maybe Raj/Stewart, another pathetic error born of desperation (on both parts.. I'd guess he's distanced enough from homosexuality to take a more dispassionate look.)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  9. trekkiebaggio

If they do introduce a baby, I hope it's Amy and Sheldon's. I think Sheldon could be convinced that it would be beneficial to the human race to pass his genes on. It would have to be a test tube baby or something like that because Sheldon wouldn't have sex, but I think that'd be more original (and funnier) than Leonard and Penny having a baby.

10. Guy Gardener

What about drunk Sheldon or sleeping Sheldon?

Penny is on the pill, or sensible enough to have abortions or the morning after pill.

Unless Sheldon is exaggerating about the thousands of men she's slept with.

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

No, it's you who've put on some weight.

;)

12. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone else think that after Amy's comment, the plan for the series is for it to last four more seasons and end with Amy and Sheldon's wedding?

The best two moments of the season so far have been Sheldon's line this week and his quoting Peter Parker to Amy. I actually bought it for a second.

13. trekkiebaggio

^I didn't buy that because I recognised the line.

Well four more years would be season 10 which seems to be a common time for successful sitcoms to end. Still a long time until then though!

14. FPAlpha

I'd rather not see 10 seasons.

Most shows i know peak around season 3 or 4 and by the time you are watching season 7 it's usually more out of habit rather than quality.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I suspect that was just a throwaway gag and not any sort of foreshadowing . . . . .

It's possible to read too much into a funny line of dialogue.

16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The show will continue as long as they can keep a handful of the regulars on board. It's the #1 scripted show among 18-54 year olds right now. This show is very similar to NCIS in that it's constantly gaining viewers somehow. I was extremely resistant to change when they started pairing everyone off into relationships, but I'm enjoying the growth the show has shown now.

17. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I think the whole point of the show (from the pilot on) is Leonard's pursuit of Penny. So he will get her in the end, but that doesn't mean they will not put him through Hell first. I can see them torturing Leonard with another guy who gets Penny's motor running, and even a proposal and marriage. Of course the marriage will fall through at the last second for some reason.

18. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

No, the last episode will be Sheldon's mother writing a book and telling us that unlike the book, in real life, Leonard married Bernadette, Sheldon married Penny, Raj married Leslie (Winkler) and Howard died of a heart attack trying to pick his mother up off the floor.

19. FPAlpha

They have to be very careful though not to overdo it.. Penny's and Leonard's relationship might not be the central theme of the show but it's a sizeable part and an endless will they/won't they can only hurt the show.

It's ok for a short while if you can get something out of it.. case in point was recently Sheldon's "Please don't hurt my friend" which i consider one of the most heartfelt and emotional scenes in the entire show (especially because it comes from Sheldon) but if it's done for artifical drama it will quickly lose appeal.

20. Guy Gardener

Really? I thought that the point was that he's happier without her, but can't recognize it.