Female Captains poll

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by BrentMc, May 30, 2012.

?

Do you want to see more female captains in Star Trek Novels?

1. Yes. Beam me up!

27 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. No. I am a sexist pig

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. BrentMc

BrentMc Commander Red Shirt

It would be interesting to see Guinan take charge of a situation, but I never got the impression that she would want command.

I liked Robin Lefler, but I think she is in the S.C.E. books and I haven't read those yet, so I do not know what happens to her. I could see her as captain.

I don't want to tell the writers on here to go write a story with this person as captain. I think it is important that they let the creative juices flow and decide what to write.

2. BrentMc

While we are on the subject; who has any existing Star trek novels or short stories featuring female leads to recommend? Janeway and Voyager are a given as it is a huge series.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Aside from the gender issue, I think a lot of Trek fans are preoccupied with captaincy as if it were the sole and universal career goal of everyone in Starfleet (and, apparently, even civilians like Guinan and Leeta!). In reality, the number of captains in any fleet is going to be finite, and there are plenty of other career paths besides ship command. After all, a captain couldn't do anything without officers in other jobs. The majority of people in a real-life navy will go through their entire careers without commanding a ship, and the same would logically be true of Starfleet as well.

True, most Trek series are ship-based and so you'd expect captains to be the main characters, but we have seen exceptions in the literature. We've had a book whose main character was the Federation president, one where the main characters were a pair of temporal investigators, at least one centered on an intelligence agent, and so on. In Vanguard, the main character of the first few novels was a commodore, but for most of the series I don't think you could single anyone out as the main character, certainly not any of the starship captains.

4. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd recommend Articles of Federation. Its not about Starfleet, but about the current President of the Federation. Both the President and the chief of staff are women.

One of The Lost Era books focuses on Captain Rachel Garret and her time in command of the Enterprise C.

Of course most of the early DS9 relaunch books feature Kira as the lead character since Sisko is with the Prophets.

5. BrentMc

This is an interesting point. To add to it Sisko wasn't even a captain when DS9 began he was a commander.

I'm happy to read any short story or novel featuring a strong female character, such as a female in command of an away team etc. Many books are going to have some strong female characters and that is one of the things I like about Star Trek, but if anyone wants to recommend novels or short stories where a strong female character is in a center role it doesn't matter if she is captain or not.

I am of course happy to read more books with male captains.

6. Shon T'Hara

Shon T'Hara Commander Red Shirt

Even if we handwave the line away in-universe, it still reflects the mindset of the writers and producers of the third season (admittedly not Roddenberry). The episode on screen comes across as, "Yeah, a woman in command. That's a good one. She gets PMS and we're at war with the Klingons. Ho-ho-ho."

The Federation is supposed to be a post-sexist society, which means the population of captains should be representative of the Federation as a whole -- not through quotas, but just naturally. If that doesn't happen, it's indicative that the writers haven't been able to move beyond the sexist attitudes ingrained in them by society. (Again, I don't keep track of this with TrekLit, though from what I've seen the current crop of writers are doing a good job; however, the TV shows and movies are an entirely different matter.)

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, at least it reflects the mindset of Arthur H. Singer, who wrote the teleplay to "Turnabout Intruder" and was the third-season story consultant. TV shows back then weren't as staff-driven as they are today, so it's anachronistic to assume there was a whole legion of writer-producers shaping the entire season. And on ST's third season in particular, there wasn't much of a coherent creative vision guiding the whole thing.

But Roddenberry himself wrote the story outline for "Turnabout Intruder" -- it's one of the only two episodes he had a writing credit on in season 3 -- and his outline was pretty much the same as the final episode, and indeed had a tag that was even more sexist.

8. BrentMc

Nicely put and I would welcome a future show with a female captain.

9. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree with everything Christopher has said in this thread.

As for the poll's choices, if you want to create a meaningful discusion, provide thoughtful and insightful choices.

10. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Captain Demora Sulu would be cool for a 'Lost Era' novel.

(I voted 'Sexist pig' because I think your question is rubbish.)

11. BrentMc

The poll options were meant as a joke.

12. BrentMc

I agree!

13. BrentMc

Boy doesn't anyone have a sense of humor? I thought the poll options were so horrible that people would get that they were a joke.

14. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Star Trek fans notoriously lack senses of humor. We're like Vulcans that way.

15. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Is it possible to command a ship from the kitchen? *ducks frying pan* :D

16. Paulcpick

Paulcpick Commander Red Shirt

didnt someone mention Saavik in this thread already?

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got right away that it was a joke, but since I'm fan of strong female leads, I voted for more female captains.
    As for stories with a female lead, Sonya Gomez is one of the main characters in the SCE series. Kira takes over the leading role in the DS9 Relaunch. There are several really good female characters in Vanguard, although they aren't all Captains.

18. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

Let's split the difference and start recruiting hermaphrodite captains and hermaphrodite captains ONLY.

19. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i'm waiting for a transexual captain so i can feel accepted ;P

20. BrentMc

Some good tips thank you.