TRUE BLOOD Season 2--just watched, my thoughts/review....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dorian Thompson, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I don't have HBO, so I had to wait a whole year for the season two DVDs to appear, which they did this week.

My impressions--

Love the show as much as ever. It's still addictive as hell, but season two's pacing was terrible. It felt like two half seasons that didn't fit well together. Season one built toward a natural climax with the reveal of Rene as the killer. Season two felt as if Godric's death should have been the climax. All of a sudden he was there, then he was gone. Who was this fascinating 2000 year old vampire who had lived so long that he finally desired peace, didn't need to hunt and feed, and who could admit that vampires were brutal and that humans had reason to fear them? Godric was evolved. Godric had endless potential--as did Eric's sorrow at his death. Eric's deception of Sookie into drinking his blood should have been a continuing thread during the season. The stuff with Maryanne went on for too long. The writers should have chosen one storyline or the other and fleshed out its choice--Eric/Sookie/Godric or the Maryanne story. I thought Michelle Forbes did an incredible job as Maryanne and I could have enjoyed more of the history of the maenads, but she remained a frustrating mystery.

The final episode was way, waaaaaay too convoluted. Like Lettie Mae was really going to shoot them; why the hell would they let Tara get out of the house? I'm sorry, no. Just--no. Jason and Andy Bellefleur becoming the odd couple was a welcome twist. Eggs dying...... :( That poor bastard. Hell of a good set up to make Tara go off the deep end next season, though. Bellefleur covering for Jason was most unexpected. :bolian: Speaking of, I actually began to like Jason a bit. He's still stupid, but all of a sudden he didn't feel quite so superfluous as he did last year. His character actually experienced growth; and I finally believed that he gave a damn about Sookie, a development of which I approve.

What the hell? Sam drank Bill's blood and we didn't get to see it? That would have been homoerotic in a most delightful way. :devil: What a gyp. Vampire queen (a ridiculous character addition, IMO) was right about one thing....it is hot to watch two men. Liked her line about not sleeping with a man since the Eisenhower administration but what the hell is she doing there all of a sudden? :wtf: They're all worried about sheriffs and magistrars but they have a queen? Is she queen of all vampires or just queen of Louisiana? Is she in charge of all the sheriffs?

Sam's still adorable. You just want to hug and kiss him and tell him everything's going to be okay. I was glad when Daphne got stabbed. Bitch. :scream: He is a one eyed man amongst the blind. My remaining estrogen went into overdrive watching him take care of Arlene's kids. Little teacup humans. :lol: Okay, okay, I finally get what the big deal is about Eric.

Jessica and Hoyt are the most adorable Romeo and Juliet ever. Her hymen grows back? That SUCKS. And Hoyt suggested they could have other kinds of sex. He's a real man no matter what that contemptible mother of his said. Their dysfunction was seriously painful to watch as someone who had a bipolar mother herself. Now Jessica's off on a tangent out of control while he brings flowers. :( She's a teenager when all is said and done. If she were human and 17 I'd be appalled they dated, but when you're a vamp the rules change, I guess. Can't wait to see what happens--in another year when I can get the DVDs. I hate not being able to afford HBO. Why don't they air eps on their website? Anybody out there who can PM me about "other means" of watching?

Bill and Sookie. I think I like them together. Sookie didn't piss me off nearly as much as she did last season. Finally she grasped how difficult things have been for Bill and quit blaming him. She really stepped up to the plate about the responsibility of raising Jessica and didn't judge Bill for creating her. Bill's violent past disturbed me; Lorena can burn up in the sun at any time, thank you. How did Bill ever fall under her spell? I'm certain she's Bill's kidnapper. Does that bode for more divergent storylines next season rather than one umbrella arc storyline? I hope not. We don't need more storylines split between Bon Temps and Dallas. Sam's quest for his family sounds promising, but let's build to one semi arc at least, please.

Sam and Bill need to be friends. Both of them are in desperate need of a best friend. Anybody agree? I hear Sam may be having an interesting dream to start off the season. :lol: I hope they have the guts to talk about that more than once. What else?

Okay, so what is Sookie that she has electrical charges? Was she adopted? Jason doesn't have supernatural abilities or Maryanne couldn't have taken him.

Overall grade for season, a strong B. The horrible pacing of the last two episode brings the season's grade down. A confrontation in the fellowship of the son church resulting in Godric offing himself should have been the endgame. Was Luke the suicide bomber the ill fated engaged football player from 'We Are Marshall'?

2. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I actually just finished this DVD set a few hours ago. My biggest gripe: Why did they kill off Godric? He was my favorite character, and he opened up so many opportunities regarding vampire politics. His death was such a waste...and Sookie didn't even try to talk him out of it...? Really...? Did she not recognize the opportunity he represented? Note to writers: Bill isn't enough to keep the audience not wanting to kill all the vampires as the "well, duh" reaction. You need some higher-up political drama to show vampire efforts to be more civilized.

By the way, it's been a while since I've seen the first season. What did Bill drink before TrueBlood and after leaving his maker? Did he drink pig blood or steal real blood from hospitals?

Edit:

Also, I found it strange that Maryann never mentioned considering Sookie as a sacrifice. Bill didn't even seem to have much of a reaction to the Louisiana vampire queen mentioning that any non-vampire straddling two worlds would be a potential sacrifice. That should have screamed "Sookie's in trouble" to Bill.

3. Dorian Thompson

I assume Bill still fed on humans for sustenance. Remember, they don't have to actually kill humans to feed on them for a little while. If you don't drain them dry and put them in the ground and spend the night in the dirt with them, they don't die and become vampires. It takes experience and maturity to control the impulse to kill. That's why Bill's so neurotic about Jessica. Her impulses are on high. Still, Bill was 30 and a war vet when he was turned instead of a sheltered 17 year old girl. It's difficult to buy that he fell into killing innocents when he was initially so distraught at losing his family and his humanity. Bill's very noble (a vampire version of Sam). That's why he and Sam should get along and be friends, imo. Hard to believe he did what he did. Perhaps the depression overwhelmed him.

Glad to see someone agrees about Godric. Losing his character was a waste. It's only 12 eps a season for an actor to commit to doing, and he wouldn't have to appear in all 12. Not too time consuming. Godric is a window into Eric's past, and it is refreshing to see a truly good vampire besides Bill. Godric coming out to the world would have turned the political situation on its ear; he could have solved the Israel/Palestinian problem with his wisdom. ;) Godric was suffering from depression because the guilt of two millenia weighed him down. Eric was right. He shouldn't have killed himself. Seeing Eric cry for his maker made my jaw drop.

Me, too. :techman:

4. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Well, we've seen vampires, shapeshifters, and witches. We haven't seen any of the fey folk or changelings, however. Or have we? <cue the suspense music>

Jason has to possess some kind of glamour or something. There's no way that boy would be getting laid that often without divine help. He may look all right, but he's too stupid to be a Casanova. Why Maryanne was able to affect him but not Sookie is anyone's guess.

5. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I assume it wasn't a quick transition. His maker had years to turn him into her idea of the perfect companion.

I think they also missed the boat on the Eric/Godric relationship. Godric could have started a movement and gradually turned Eric into a political successor. They could have still had that awesome death scene, but the death didn't need to happen so soon. Give Godric a chance to start the movement, and then have Eric take over when the time is right (if you can't secure the Godric character and/or you just have to have that death).

I agree with you that it will be a pain to wait for season three to come out on DVD. Does this show get posted on itunes as the episodes air on HBO, or do they wait until the DVDs are released?

6. Dorian Thompson

I thought of that. Men are overwhelmingly attracted to Sookie. Maybe that's why Jason gets laid constantly. :lol: Maryanne taking him may end up being a plothole. Ryan Kwanten is funny as hell, but IMO he's the least attractive of the male leads. Hides his Australian accent pretty well, I must admit. Maybe it's how stupid Jason is that puts me off. Much prefer Sam, Bill, Eric, and Terry as attractive male leads.

This. Yes. Me like.

7. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

The fact that Sookie's zap power was all rainbow britey speaks volumes, too. The vampire queen seems really interested in her, too, indicating that she knows a lot more than she's letting on. Her vapid primadona vibe is totally an act. I wouldn't be surprised if she actually manipulated events to get Bill and Sookie connected for whatever reason.

8. Dorian Thompson

Ooooohhhhh, me likey that idea, too, Checkmate. It would give her a purpose in the storyline.

9. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Wasn't one of the queen's vassals Sookie's cousin, too? That's an awfully convenient coincidence...

10. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Because he was killed off in the books, and is such a minor character that he didn't need to be kept around. Though, other characters' fates have changed, so they could have changed his, too. Just because he's dead doesn't mean we won't see more of him, though. Alan Ball (creator/executive producer) has said he has plans to bring back the actress who played Gran for flashback scenes. And they brought her in for at least a little bit in season two, for flashback photos and stuff of Tara and Sookie as little girls.

That's something I am not sure I agree with.
    Some of the later books get VERY political, including one that is almost entirely about vampire politics with the vampire hierarchy.
    Depending on just how closely the series is going to continue following the books, we'll soon find out why Bill wouldn't - or couldn't - leave the bitch queen's side.

Ok, I'm going to come out and say it. The "actress" who plays the queen is terrible. The queen of the books is one of my favorites, right up there with Bubba. The queen of the tv series is about as far away from the character as you can get. She needs to be recast immediately.

11. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Eh, I don't think it's the actress' fault so much as the way she was written. I mean, I seriously doubt the writers and directors were all "do whatever you want." I also picked up the distinct impression that the persona she projected was completely phony, just an act she uses to force people to underestimate her. She clearly has some scheme in play, and she's certainly feared enough to be the queen of Louisiana.

12. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure if it's the actress so much as the fact that they've completely changed the Queen's character from the books.

It's going to be interesting to see what they come up with for the Bon Temps folks next season, as iirc the next book is set almost completely elsewhere.

And I think it's time they finally bring in Bubba.

13. Dorian Thompson

Exactly. Jessica doesn't even exist in the books. Why not keep Godric around a little longer? I'm not talking about him being a permanent character, but he was fascinating and then he was so abruptly suicidal. His death and immediate aftermath should have been the culmination of the television story arc, IMO. That would have felt much more satisfying from a point of view of the storyline flowing well and a build up of emotional intensity. Maryanne's defeat felt like the story was going backwards in terms of intensity. It felt like it should have come first and Godric's death later. His death should have been more of an "event" I suppose is what I'm trying to say. I hope we see him in flashbacks. He's such a window into Eric's character. Maryanne didn't feel like the same window into Sam's character, which is why I'm glad he'll be searching for his birth family next season.

14. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I enjoyed the second season quite a bit and agree with most of what's been said already.

I will say that I felt the pacing of the Maryann storyline really dragged in the final 1/3 of the season, though. It was cool that they had multiple storylines going and all, but there was the impression of wheel-spinning for a good part of the Maryann story.

Also, Evan Rachel Wood is a good actress. I have no idea why her character is so stiff and phony unless it's intentional.

15. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yes I just love Sam. I couldnt believe it when Daphne's true intentions were revealed. Come on, the poor guy needs a break, poor thing! :(

I love the way his relationship with Bill is turning out, they seem to be developing a mutual respect for each other & I hope it grows closer(no not that type of closer, though Ive read the rumors & hey I wouldnt mind if Ball takes it that direction, but I doubt it will happen). :cool:

I cant stop seeing him as a very young George W Bush. Its eerie. :wtf:

I liked the Maryann plot mostly b/c it involved Sam & b/c I liked the greek mythology aspect of it, but yeah it did kinda drag. But I loved how Sam & Bill worked together & used their individual powers to defeat her.
    and I agree Godric was a character that deserved more screen time. We really need to see more good vampires on this show b/c otherwise the "vampres are people too & deseve rights" aspect of the show makes no sense...

oh btw Im just as frustrated as you are that I have to wait for the dvds to watch the 3rd season, so not fair!:klingon: I found a couple places that supposedly stream the season for free but I dont know, they look very iffy & you have to sign up to the sites. Eh not sure I wanna do that.

16. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The second season was extremely pedestrian. The church storyline with Jason was a real bore to sit through and felt like filler until it tied into Godric but even then it was pretty limp. The caricatures of the married preacher and his wife were just too over-the-top and annoying. I also couldn't stand the cheap cliffhanger of whether the horny preacher's wife killed him--how that was ultimately resolved was d-u-m-b.

The series also had a bad habit of not developing storylines effectively and just randomly throwing in things as quick plot points to launch into another scene such as the hotel employee with Sookie's ability.

Tara and her Desperate Housewives' refugee boyfriend were grating to watch. He sucked as an actor and a character. Tara became a useless cypher--gone was the strong woman with a sassy mouth on her. Michelle Forbes was great but the make everyone behave sinfully got old after a while and the way it was resolved in the season finale was anti-climatic. Sam was wasted in my opinion. His history with Michelle's character was not very interesting.

Hoyt and Jessica I was pretty neutral about. Eric came into his own and personally I think he and Sookie smolder more than she and Bill.

Godric was a cheap plot device. The suicide bomber was a little too on the nose and was yet again treated as nothing more than a fleeting plot point.

I decided after this season to just give up on it. This season was a C-.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  17. Dorian Thompson

I can't agree about Godric.

18. startrekwatcher

Fine but in my opinion he was brought in and used as a means to an end--1) effect Eric and 2) give that beautilful scene of him dying with Sookie. Other than he was a prop.

19. Dorian Thompson

But that was my point. He shouldn't have been used as a prop. The potential for much more was there. He should have been used for a few more eps at least. Hopefully they'll use him in flashbacks, but I'm not holding my breath. At least Sam's new storyline has great potential.

20. startrekwatcher

I have noticed an increased propensity by tv shows these days to give short shrift to characters or plotlines because they are determined to cram as much as they possibly can into an episode and move at a dizzying pace--the side effect is a lot of characters in the olden days that would have gotten more development are treated like plot devices.

I would really like to see shows get back to basics--slow down the pacing, have more modest ensembles, more depth to scenes, more depth to plotlines. It seems ADHD has infiltrated tv shows and films to the point where it is just a blur.