Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Two years ago I completed my goal to run a full marathon. I haven't done a damn thing since. My wife and I had our second baby and I was just too tired to do anything after work. Now that she is two and a little more self sufficient I decided to train for the Outer Banks Marathon in November. The training has been kicking my ass and I'm finding it hard and frustrating that my body isn't responding the way it did two years ago.

The hardest thing is reteaching myself the mental toughness I had when I trained for the first marathon. Back then I refused to walk during my training runs. Now, I feel that it is no big deal to walk for a few minutes to catch my breath. I will say that the cooler weather has helped. I went for a ten miler last monday and finally caught that elusive "runners high." It did wonders for my confidence though I am a little intimidated by the looming 12 mile run I have this weekend.

2. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Last Tuesday, I began riding my recumbent bike after living in fear of it for a while. It seems that whenever I try certain exercises, I end up at the chiropractor after a couple of weeks because my back and legs get seriously unhappy. You see, I have something in my legs that is best described as a birth defect. We didn't find out until I was almost 29 that my legs are too straight and that my muscles have overcorrected for every injury I ever had. So when I've tried to exercise ever since said birth defect kicked in when I was 27, the results have not been good.
    All of that said, I am pleased to announce that last Tuesday, I moved the recumbent stationary bike into the computer alcove in my house. I turned on an episode of Star Trek The Animated Series and began riding. In the past week, I've ridden 18 miles!
    ETA: Today's ride was almost 6 miles!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  3. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gratz, I ran the Columbus full last years. The hardest thing i think i've ever done. I did the half the year before. It was almost child's play compared to the full.

4. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's pretty much how I get my primary calorie burner out of the way for an hour every day, six days a week - I installed my old laptop on a shelf in front of my treadmill! In this way, I catch up on whatever series, movies, anime, etc. I've been missing out on or can't find the time to watch due to real life. I find it almost completely removes any focus I'd otherwise place on actually running.

It's weird to say, but I've caught up and watched SO much more stuff by spending time on the treadmill. :)

Mark

5. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

So far, so good.

Picked back up the pace and broke out of that slump. So far I'm down 28 pounds. However, most of that loss was accelerated by avoiding and completely cutting out dairy.

6. Peach Wookiee

:) I don't think it's weird. Heck, I checked out some anime at my local library and put it on. And yesterday morning I noticed my yoga pants were looser!

7. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Monday, Wednesday & Friday are my workout days.
    Mainly, I concentrate on pushups and sit-ups. I used
    to have free weights in my house, but it requires so
    much time and committment, I scaled back until I
    finally got rid of them, altogether. Push-ups and sit-ups
    seem to suffice. I can always commit to weights, again ...

8. Peach Wookiee

I'm trying to ride almost every day, if I can, at least until my body really starts to drop the weight. Today I'm adding in diet shakes to drop my calories.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Hmm what sort of diet shakes, and are they supplemental or replacements for meals?

RAMA

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I would have to assume they're meal replacements if they're intended to decrease caloric intake?

11. Peach Wookiee

Yeah, meal replacement shakes. Unfortunately I got hit with a nasty bug and had to halt the regime. Going back to it ASAP.

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Ideally I like to have three running days and three lifting days per week. Last week or two I've taken a little break but I want to hit it hard the next two weeks because I've got a Spartan Race coming up.

For running I like to do one speed run, one long run, and one hill run per week. For exercise I like to mix it up. A lot of focus on push ups and pull ups because my biggest weakness at obstacle course races are monkey bars and rope climbs (And the burpees when you fail an obstacle). But also a variety of core stuff, some dumbbell stuff, etc.

Had to cut today's workout short because of some acid reflux. Don't know why that seems to happen at home a lot, because when I go to a gym and pay for a workout it never happens. (Maybe because in that case it's early morning and all I've eaten is cereal?)

Over the summer I loved working out to American Ninja Warrior. Such great motivation. Don't know what I can use for that in the winter.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  13. Peach Wookiee

Back on the bike! And I rode 10.2 miles.

14. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome. :)

My earlier goal was to make it to 159 pounds before leaving on vacation to Japan for two weeks. Did that, went there, got a T-shirt (and a ton of anime stuff). Came back six pounds heavier, but the point was to enjoy as much of the food there as I could.

Lost the weight through treadmill and regular diet (I've gotten quite used to counting calories), now sitting at 157 as we head into the November trials, meaning seasonal meals, parties, and a bunch of improv gigs where I perform at varied corporate events and their catered, super-high calorie dinners. The ultimate goal is still to settle at 150 - maybe not this year as a result of the above trials, but I'll get there. :)

Mark

15. Peach Wookiee

Great, Mark!

Today, I made it to 10.5 miles thanks to the nasal spray and prednisone.

16. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

So... Some of you may recall that way back in 2006/2007 I embarked on a diet journey that, in a year's time, had me losing 115 pounds and putting me back at my high school weight of 185... I was in the best shape of my life..

I kept it off for several years, but over the last two, it has crept back on to the tune of almost 70 pounds... Lots of emotional eating, stress and lack of meaningful exercise.

BUT... I have recommitted myself to losing it and getting back into shape.. My doctor has me on some medication that is helping with the cravings and I'm back to exercising twice a day (lunch/after dinner)...

Since I started for real two weeks ago, I have lost 11 pounds and am losing inches on my waist (my pants rejoice!!)...

This time there are no costly plans or funky shakes... Just me, natural, non-processed foods eaten in moderation and some damn determination to lose 50 pounds by March...

Here's hoping!!!

17. Peach Wookiee

My exercise has hit a snag. I hurt myself on Wednesday while caring for my mother. What can you do when your back hates you?

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Lay down until it feels better.

I tweaked something in my neck two weeks ago, and I haven't been right ever since. I've barely been able to move, let alone work out.

19. Peach Wookiee

It's ended up being in the back, neck and shoulders as well as aggravating a groin pull (Not even sure how I got that one!), and I'm so mad! It hurts too much right now to devote what I was devoting! Heck, even being on the laptop wasn't too fun for a couple of days!

20. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I need to figure out how to continue my running through the winter.

It's one thing to learn to deal with the cold, but around where I live most of the sidewalks don't get shoveled.

Do I join a gym and just treadmill it? I heard that if you set the incline to 1.5 it gives you the same resistance of running outside, but I don't know how to deal with the boredom factor. Also when you're near the end of the run outside and you feel like quitting, there's the extra motivation that if you quit you have to walk that distance home.

What's some watchable daytime TV? Maybe I can find something entertaining enough to fight the boredom factor on a treadmill.