Avengers: Age of Ultron- Grading & Discussion (spoilerific)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ethros, Apr 23, 2015.

?

Grade Avengers: Age of Ultron

1. A+

9.7%
  2. A

25.6%
  3. A-

20.5%
  4. B+

13.3%
  5. B

9.7%
  6. B-

9.7%
  7. C+

3.1%
  8. C

3.1%
  9. C-

1.0%
  10. D+

1.0%
  11. D

2.6%
  12. D-

0.5%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't know about that. I really liked AoU, and to be honest I think I like it better than The Avengers, but it wasn't perfect, and I think one of its biggest problems is the pacing was a little wonky and it could have used a little more room to breathe.

2. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I picked up my copy on Friday and watched it straight through, with occasional adjustments to sound. Overall, I think I enjoyed it better on the second viewing - obviously, I knew what to expect - but I still enjoy the first movie better. But AoU is still a good, fun movie, which likely will get viewed again very soon.

Haven't had time to watch the extra features yet; it's a shame they just didn't incorporate the deleted scenes and make the movie an Extended Edition.

The Honest Trailer thing was just too damn funny.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Age of Ultron gives the fans so much of what they want. Imagine an eight-year-old child going through his toy-box to find something he wants to play with, and instead Marvel comes in to help by lifting the toy-box off the floor and pouring all the toys over this kid’s head, showering him in metal and plastic and all the toys, along with all their accessories, are scattered everywhere. Thanks for helping!
    There’s just too much of everything. There’s too many special effects. There’s too much action. There’s way too many characters. There are way to many little Easter eggs, way too many little “this will be cool in future Marvel films but not this one” moments. There is too much sarcasm. Oh, did I mention there are too many mini-plots, seemingly one for each character, and since there are too many characters you’d have to try to hard to make sense of any of it. Every time a character does something cool, they are guaranteed to have a line to punctuate it. It gets old fast.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Even when the number of superhero films doubles...to 6 over consecutive years going forward in 2016 are we still going to mock "#1 superhero film" when 'x' film claims it?

It is what it is....#1 out of 6 is still not a lot so I feel this is shallow knock of a complaint against AoU. Not it's fault this was the fallow year before the harvest of SH films to come.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not hard to make sense of. But it is annoying that they took out part of Thor's arc.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Annoying until you watch the deleted version of the sequence and find out that it's worse than what they ultimately went with. ;)

7. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Looking forward to seeing this film for the first time- could not get to the theater for it and have been following this thread with interest.

8. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

C+, I didn't like it.
    In particular
    Stark's vision seemed too obviously similar to Hydra's, unbelievable that he and Banner wouldn't consider the downsides. He never seemed to learn from his mistakes until maybe the end when he abruptly quit.
    Like in the first film, it was so random how much control Banner did or didn't have over the Hulk. He and Natasha getting over their doubts, then him wanting to run away together, then him leaving without her also seemed forced.
    The idea that Cap had come to like/need war wasn't very believable and didn't go anywhere.
    Wanda and Pietro seemed too evil for the first half (although their plans also too different from Ultron's for them to work together) to be likable in the rest.

9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Your constant complaining? You got that right.

10. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I'm glad someone said it.

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, it's been said. A lot.

12. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

The guys from RedLetterMedia made a fun mash up video from Age of Ultron. It's pretty funny.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=101&v=Tf-_230SjbM[/yt]

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe he's a cad :p

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just saw it a fourth time (with commentary) and I still think it holds up as a great movie. Everyone is great but I'm always struck with the great job Chris Evans does as Cap. It's so easy for that character to be dopey or wooden, but in the movies he has always been a noble badass and a born leader.

15. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

+1!

I think the cast has been incredible with all of the characters but Chris Evans as Cap is damn near perfect.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Everybody seems to love Downey but IMO Evans embodies his character more perfectly than anyone else.

17. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not choosing between either, both have put their respected characters on the big screen in such a way that they have become Tony Stark and Steve Rogers.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Interesting thing from the Whedon commentary.

In the farmhouse Bruce/Natasha scene, he originally firmly rejected her and told her off. This led to her being suicidal in the South Korea sequence which was the emotional core of that scene, when it was removed Joss felt that entire fight scene became a hollow spectacle. This is also why Widow talks about not walking away from the fight at the ending.

19. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Evans as Cap is one of the best superhero portrayals on film; he translates every great element ever written for the character.

20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

That's actually worse than what we got. Good change on Marvel's behalf there.