9X02 "The Witch's Familiar" Grading/Discussion)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 26, 2015.

?

Grade "The Witch’s Familiar"

Poll closed Oct 26, 2015.
  1. Kidneys!

38 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. Eyebrows!

37 vote(s)
    43.5%
  3. Lasagna

9 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. Pudding brains

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Exterminate!

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

2. TommyR01D

TommyR01D Captain Captain

First Reply!

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That was much better than the last episode (which was already better than last season). Watched as one, I'm sure "The Magician's Apprentice" will come off better (aside from the whole poor usage of UNIT).

The extended conversation between The Doctor and Davros was pretty griping, and while I had a hard time imagining Davros being portrayed as sympathetic, I did love the twist of Davros using The Doctor's compassion against him. Unfortunately, the second twist that The Doctor knew that he was up to no good comes off flat and takes away from the first one. Another case of Moffat trying to be a bit too clever. It mostly works but not as well as he might think it does.

What I really loved, however, was how Jenna Coleman essentially went full circle, back to "Asylum of the Daleks" and, at the same time, showed how cold-hearted and devious Missy can still be. The Doctor is Not Amused.

Of course, this is the end of the Daleks, Davros, Skaro, etc....until they're needed again. Eh.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  4. TommyR01D

In more elaborate detail:

1. The scene in the sewers with Clara pointing the stick at Missy reminded me of Lockhart with Ron's broken wand in The Chamber of Secrets.
    2. The Dalek mutants embedded in the walls reminded me of Urak-Hai being born from the mud in the pits of Isengard.
    3. Similarly, Davros with his own eyes open looked like an orc.
    4. The regeneration energy thing (like in The Angels Take Manhattan) was a stupid idea. I hate how the concept of regeneration in recent years has become so fuzzy and convoluted.
    5. I can't remember a time throughout the Moffat era when Doctor Who had a consistent broadcast time - next week it starts at 8:25!
    6. Clara randomly shooting when practising Dalek speech seemed like an analogy to premature ejaculation. I kept expecting to hear "Keep it in your gunbox!".
    7. I wish Missy had more time to interact with Davros (who never had a scene with the Master).
    8. The ending scene was entirely predictable.

5. The Nth Doctor

Forgot to mention:

"Admit it: You’ve all had this exact nightmare." Brilliant.

"The sewers are revolting!" Horrible.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  6. TommyR01D

9. Did the Daleks really drown in geriatric diarrhoea?
    10. How did the Doctor fit into Davros' chair if it's designed for a man with no legs - surely it's not bigger on the inside?!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  7. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

One in the eye (haha) for the anti-sonic crowd... Looks like we are losing it, but now replaced by the sonic specs (of pure sex).

The hijacking of the wheelchair scene was the highlight for me ("admit it, we've all had this nightmare") but very closely followed by the Doctor's plan with the sewers, naturally foreshadowed by Missy.

If we assume this "hybrid" is actually a foretaste of the series big bad, then presumably Moffatt is expecting us to guess River, Handy Ten or the DoctorDonna...

We've also HAD hybrid Time Lords and Daleks (plus human) in Evolution of the Daleks, so I think Davros was offbase here...

What if we do finally see a stable humanoid/TARDIS hybrid? That sort of thing might be a prophecy that would scare the Time Lords. But why would it drive the Doctor from Gallifrey?

8. The Nth Doctor

You make it sound it's Moffat's fault.

I can only hope.

But I'm sure the glasses will get old fast.

Besides, I would be surprised if the sonic screwdriver will be gone that long. BBC needs its merchandising!

That did bug me as well, but I figured I was just being pedantic.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  9. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Given the titles of the two episodes, I had expected Clara to play a larger role but alas it wasn't so. Still, Clara has been companion to two very different Timelords. I hope it plays part in this series' arc.

10. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The whole Clara thing took me out of the episode because I was trying to remember if Asylum otD, had actually resolved that puzzle. I remembered towards the end that it had been resolved but in a different Boy Smith episode (she was in all his time stream or some nonsense) but it was too late by then, I'd been taken out of this episode and confused as to the connection. Of which I think there was none?

So that was just a 'nod' back to the mad Dalek/Clara in Doctors time-stream stuff? It had no relevance here?

I'll have to watch it again to give it a fairer review as that totally took me out of what should have been a great morality tale. Agree with what someone said earlier - regeneration energy overused, good twist with Davros using the Doctor, not so good a twist with the Doctor using Davros. Totally saw the end coming.

11. The Nth Doctor

Yes, the only connection is thematically, which I thought was pretty neat.

12. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I bet there are going to be some fans that lose their shit over the glasses.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

They can merchandise the glasses! :)

I've heard that the reason the 12th Doctor's sonic screwdriver wasn't that different than the 11th's was because of merchandising and the autumn launch date last year. It was easier to modify the existing toy slightly and still make the Christmas market than it was to design something new and miss the Christmas sales.

14. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Remember the days when life imitated fiction, I'm thinking TNG inspiring MP3's, TOS inspiring mobile phone technology. Nowadays there is no such creativity and the Doctor ends up plugging Google Glass.

15. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Loved it, Series 9 is off to a great start!

16. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, Missy, you're malign,
    You're so malign you blown my mind!
    Hey, Missy! Hey, Missy!

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

How much regeneration energy has the Doctor loss? only just got some new ones and he is doling it out like candy :p

18. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, they've been trying since 1968 to make the Sonic Screwdriver take off. Now they've given up.

19. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just wondering, why didn't Clara try saying something like "Coal Hill" or something along those lines?

20. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Eyebrows. Bleach, Gomez and Capaldi were all terrific. Coleman was excellent (no surprise there), but the episode lacks one of those moments where she delivers an inspired line reading. I guess I'm spoilt.

The character moments between Bleach and Capaldi were a highlight. I was impressed by Davros's subterfuge. The Doctor's, on the other hand, doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. He was apparently prepared to sacrifice all of his remaining regenerations so that Davros and the sewer Daleks could live, not to mention giving the operational Daleks a shot in the arm. Nice. I guess he's the bad guy of the episode, then.

I'm thinking that the confession dial is a Chekov's Gun of some kind, like the fob watch in season three. Won't be surprised if he gets one from Missy later on in the season.

TARDIS still Dalek-proof - I approve. The police box exterior is now a "real-time envelope", which is interesting - as is the fact that the force field seems to be independent of it.