Abrams Directing Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kamdan, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

"Good God, man!" :lol:

Almost made me think, "DeForest, who?" Almost.

My notoriously non-Trek fan wife who dutifully accompanies me to the Trek movies so I don't have to fulfill any stereotype by being a middle aged man going alone -- hey, and she's dragged me to Barry Manilow concerts, so she gets as good as she gives, better, actually -- laughed her ass off at that scene (for the RIGHT reasons).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, come on, gang. I was only being sarcastic. Didn't mean to cause harm.

3. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Well, you do talk to yourself.

4. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't we all, sometimes?

Yes.

5. panthers34343

panthers34343 Ensign Newbie

That's a really flawed way of looking at things. Why don't you count the people who watched Star Trek on television? It's like saying the NFL is more successful than MLB because more people watch on average the NFL games than the MLB games, leaving out the fact that MLB has vastly more games a season (162 vs 16).

I mean yes the NFL does make more money than MLB but the point is you framed it in a way that made it more one-sided than it is.

I'm sure Star Wars has made more money if you count everything (toys, tickets, books, etc) than Star Trek but doing a pure movie vs movie comparison is ridiculous.

Star Wars is primarily a movie franchise, Star Trek is more television.

6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could. And also with those who did find them funny.

7. Franklin

Legion: Can someone get butthurt from penis envy? ;) I didn't necessarily know so many Trek fans felt that way. Indeed, if it weren't for SW in 1977, we all may have gotten "Star Trek Phase II: The Entire Series", Special Edition, on Blu-Ray for Christmas. Oh, why can't we all just get along?

As far as the popularity of the NFL over MLB goes, panthers34343, poll after poll says NFL football is by far the favorite sport of Americans. College football is second. Major League Baseball is a distant third, down there with the NBA. The freaking joke called the NFL Pro Bowl draws more TV viewers than World Series games and the NBA Finals do.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

Uh, because I'm talking about movies and said so, dude. :rolleyes:

Some people are upset about Star Trek movies always being treated like they're second to Star Wars movies. The reason that's so is because Star Trek is second to Star Wars in terms of box office. You got that?

Jesus.

9. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Wars has generated $22 billion over the past 30 years when you add all of the shit in together. Whereas Trek has made $4 billion. It's not even close.

Edited to add: Which begs the question why would Lucas sell the franchise to Disney for 18% of their generated profits over 30 years?

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Four billion is still good coin, but Star Wars is in another league.

11. DarthTom

Yea, I love this quote from the same article. Where Star Wars cleans up and Trek not so much is with the toys, DVD's and other shit. Lets face it, more people want a Han Solo action toy than a Captain Kirk one.

12. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I prefer Star Trek quite a bit to Star Wars (still enjoy the latter, just not as much as the former) but on the toy front, there are way more cool ships in Star Wars than in Trek to catch the eye of my seven year old son, for instance (he's never seen Star Wars and only one episode of TOS, but he's scarily knowledgeable about Star Wars ships--way more than his old man).

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Star Trek has nothing to be ashamed of. It's a successful, popular series that's been going strong for nearly fifty years now, and inspired a passionate fan following. That's nothing to sneeze at. Most series would be thrilled to be half as popular as Star Trek is. I'm proud to have been a Trekkie my entire life.

But, when it comes to mass popularity, Star Wars is on a whole other level and always has been, especially where young kids are concerned. That's not a value judgement; it's just a matter of fact. You can buy Yoda bedsheets and lunchboxes at Wal-Mart. He's like Mickey Mouse.

14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Just look at most of the Star Trek toy lines over the decades. With the exception of the Mego action figures with fabric clothing that were released before Star Wars first hit theaters the Trek lines have paled and suffered in comparison to the toys and collectibles associated with the six live action SW films and their numerous spinoffs. The Playmates action figures of the nineties and 00's were a noble effort to mainstream Trek toys and lay claim to a chunk of the market, but for the most part they were unsold and unloved except by die-hard Trekkers who wanted plastic representations of their favorite characters.

Star Wars toys are bought in legions by kids who know nothing of the Saga other than Darth Vader, Ahsoka Tano and Jar Jar Binks...not necessarily in that order. The marketing by Lucasfilm outstrips Paramount's handling of Trek by light years.

15. DarthTom

Exactly. Star Wars unlike Trek has characters that appeal to younger children who are the primary consumers of action figures. I don't know any children who desired the Trek action figures even after the huge commercial success of the last film. Whereas as someone said up-thread children still want a Yoda lunch box.

And to paraphrase Mel Brooks in Space Balls - 'the real money is in the merchandizing.'

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Speaking of Star Wars toys (and if anyone's interested), here's the just-revealed line of 6" action figures that will start hitting stores later this year. I have to give Hasbro credit....this thing looks remarkably like Mark Hamill in Episode IV.

[​IMG]

Not too bad.

17. BillJ

I think variation in theme plays a big part as well as the fact that Star Wars is more akin to cowboys and indians. Much easier for kids to get into.

Back to variation of theme... we have basically four or five Picard figures that essentially all look alike (early TNG, late TNG, TNG jacket and First Contact). With just vague changes in the color scheme. Most of the ships are also just variation on a theme. Star Wars just destroys Trek on this front.

18. Franklin

I may be dichotomizing this too much, but compared to "Star Wars", what is there in "Star Trek" to attract kids? Kathryn Janeway coffee mugs? Spock sheets?
    Especially if a kid knows nothing of either franchise, is a six year-old more likely to be attracted to a Spock action figure in the toy aisle, or a C3PO one? What nine year-old is going to want a McCoy doll over a Wookie or R2D2? Which character looks more swash-buckling to a kid, Kirk in uniform holding a phaser, or Hans Solo dressed as a Jedi Knight wielding a light saber? Which would be cooler to a kid, being Darth Vader on Halloween or being a Klingon?

Comparatively, "Star Wars" is the strange, new world, with new life and new civilizations that "Star Trek" is always supposedly seeking out. "Star Trek" is us. Its world is familiar. It also has to make some sense. SW is totally alien, and doesn't want to be familiar to anyone (after all, it takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away), and it therefore has more weird and cool things that don't even have to make sense. The weirder and cooler the better.

19. BillJ

Agreed. I think Trek lost this when it became a "franchise".

20. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    if I collected, wouldn't mind this :)

[​IMG]