Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

I'll have to do some more research, but when it comes time for demos and such, you'll can be sure I'll try to add Oculus Rift support for you. Stay tuned...

Both. I'm actually building the console today. Does anyone know if this console appeared in any other episodes than the instances below?

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x18hd/thelightsofzetarhd1403.jpg

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x17hd/thatwhichsurviveshd0590.jpg

I swear I've seen it somewhere else (perhaps not on the Enterprise)..any ideas?

2. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Isn't that the same kind of keyboard piece from Gary Seven's computer console in "Assignment: Earth"?

Can't recall another console at the moment, maybe the Yonada control panel in "For the World Is Hollow..."?

Bob

3. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

I had a hunch and it proved to be correct: "Spock´s Brain", but with a few alterations. Here it´s part of the computer room, where Spock´s brain is being held:

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x01hd/spocksbrainhd1099.jpg

Mario

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  4. Donny

Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for.

5. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

Happy to help :)

And I´m very much looking forward to more of your amazing work here.

6. Donny

For various reasons, I'm still not able to get as much work done lately. However, I was able to finish up some select items on the laboratory work table:
    [​IMG]

7. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice! Still continues to look great.

8. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Yes, it's really cool to see the studio sets and props recreated in 3D and with viewing angles we didn't always get in the series. At least now we can see the sets as the directors and actors experienced these.

Has anybody ever come up with an explanation for the towering GNDN thingy on the left side? (first debuted on Mudd's planet IIRC).

Bob

9. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I endearingly call it the "bug zapper" ;), but I can't remember if anyone called it anything. It just seemed to "be there".

I commend whoever rigged it with the quasi "Jacob's ladder" effect. If it was an early sequential circuit for a "chasing" light effect, it was very fluid.

As I stated upthread earlier, this thing might have worked as a foreground miniature for, say, engineering. True, the "intermix tube" business didn't appear until the movies and there's nothing to suggest the "classic" Enterprise would have had anything like it, but had a director gotten an idea, well, who knows?

Sincerely,

Bill

10. Donny

All right! I can pretty much call sickbay complete for now! Sometime in the future, I will have to go back and finish the skulls and knick knacks around McCoy's office. There are also a few wall plant-ons in the laboratory that will have to wait (they'll be constructed when I get to Engineering).

Anyway, here's the last shot you'll see of sickbay for a while:
    [​IMG]

11. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just noticed that odd yellow strip to the right of the foreground console. It seems to be of the same type that turned in the re-vamped Transporter Room, some sort of moulded rubber maybe?

12. Donny

It seemed to be often used to fill the gaps between two wall panels that meet at acute angles. At least that's what I'm gathering.

13. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

So impressive. I can't wait to see Engineering.

14. ahkyahnan

ahkyahnan Captain Captain

So is this project on hiatus? Or does it pick up in another thread somewhere?

Mark

15. Donny

The project is on hiatus. Unfortunately it has taken a back seat to some real life dilemmas. I plan on doing more work in the future. Stay tuned.

16. blssdwlf

I hope things work out. Take care Donny :)

17. Donny

I'm back and better than ever!

The Unreal 4 engine was released a few months back, and after seeing some of it's advanced features, I decided to make the switch. I was anxious to see how some of my TOS stuff would look in a new-gen gaming engine, and I think the results speak for themselves. The most notable difference is the inclusion of real-time screen space reflections, so there is no more faked reflection or cheap diffuse specularity on surfaces. This is most evident in the reflection of the view-screens on the black consoles below them (check it out in the Unreal 4 vs Unreal 3 comparison shot below). There are a few other new enhancements, IMO offering a much more realistic real-time render.

However, making the transition to the Unreal 4 engine didn't simply consist of me porting everything over from Unreal 3. I completely reconstructed each of the models (except for the Burke chair) for two reasons. A) Unreal 4 uses a different unit scale than Unreal 3, and B) I wanted to apply methods of modelling I'd learned since I built the TOS Bridge in Unreal 3. You'll notice the models have much more surface detail and chamfered edges, giving a smoother, more detailed and realistic look.

I was, thankfully, able to quickly port over all the viewing screen graphics from my previous project, saving at least a week's time.

I plan on resuming work on this project full-speed ahead, however I will have to also reconstruct the areas I previously completed last year (corridors, transporter room, sickbay, briefing room) to get them up to snuff with the new engine. It'll be interesting to see how pretty Unreal 4 will make the rest of the Enterprise interiors appear.

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It isn't apparent in this still image, but the viewing screen is functional in-game. It is actually a 2D real-time render from a camera set else-where in the map pointed at a rotating planet mesh with a star backdrop that rotates as well, giving the illusion of the Enterprise orbiting the planet. (Forgive the jagged shadow at the top of the viewer...I'm struggling with lighting that area properly)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'm still trying to make the control buttons look more translucent and plastic than they currently do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kerock likes this.
  18. blssdwlf

Very nice. Yeah, the chamfered edges and shading look much better on the new engine. Glad to see you're back at it. :techman:

19. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

C'mon, admit it - you just snuck off to the Phase II set and took a few pics, didn't you? :rommie::techman:

20. kennysmith

kennysmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I my self can't get them to answer any of my emails I set them, I don't think they care about us.