"The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 10, 2012.

?

How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?

1. Excellent

147 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Good

61 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Fair

26 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Poor

12 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Terrible

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

???:confused:

So let's assume for the sake of argument that the American people were VERY upset with what happened to Gotham.

So what?

Somehow is Daggett.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^Robin/Blake confronts Wayne at one point about the funding for the orphanage. He also took them gasoline for an evacuation and, sure enough, tried to get the orphanage bus out first. We know the orphans and priest who (singlehandedly?) runs it are important to him. We find that it is because he was an orphan himself. Suppose they had never bothered to explain that? Blake is a male character so most movies would consider him more important to flesh out, whereas Selina Kyle is not so much a character as a wet dream, but still: Everything Robin/Blake does with the orphans is pretty much irrelevant except for his personal relationship. These scenes are a waste otherwise.

Selina Kyle's sister/girlfriend/mini-me is also on-screen and her importance lies in her undisclosed relationship to Kyle. My guess is that is what deliberately left ambiguous to allow lesbian chic/ fellow prostitute rolling the johns interpretations. Whozis' scenes dramatically are a waste otherwise.

3. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But from the beginning Chris Nolan was trying to remake Batman as realistic as possible without sacrificing too much of the fantastic edge that Batman has.

Batman Begins painstakingly did this. The Dark Knight slipped a bit. Dark Knight Rises forgot it was supposed to be realistic and just said "Fuck it, all it takes is the desire and you can get out of bed with a broken back and busted knee".

No. Fucking. Way. At least not the way it was shown in the movie.

What *I* would have liked to see, is have Bruce Wayne find a team of trustworthy doctors (perhaps with the help of Lucius?) that could have used the latest in medical technology to fix his back and his knee.

I actually thought they were going to go this route at that scene with the doctor that told him he couldn't go skiing anymore.

That's all it would have taken to make this a great movie IMO. It's too late now though.

4. Set Harth

The guy from Reno 911?

5. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

The rule was, “At the first sign of interference from the outside world, [the trigger man] will trigger the bomb.” At the time, Bruce was in the outside world. Why didn’t Talia push the trigger as soon as he returned?

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Because the whole point was for Bruce to watch Gotham be destroyed, to see his failure. It doesn't torture his soul if just randomly explodes.

7. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bane was working with Daggett who owned a construction company. Bane stated he used Daggett's resources before he killed him

Wayne Enterprise was in the defense industry. That was established in "Batman Begins". The advance prototypes had to be stored somewhere and once you know something exists, it's just a matter of time to find it.

So what?! People get upset about a lot of things but what you fail to realize is that people's attention span is pretty short. People would get angry for a week or two and then the news cycle moves on.

You asked if government could be totally apathetic. I gave you a real world example.

Gotham didn't appear to be functioning for 6 months, your point.

Your analysis doesn't hold up to scrutiny. You could complain that it was too simplistic but there is no logical flaws. Bane's plan was to make Gotham suffer as long as possible and then kill it.

8. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uhm. Batman has a flying vehicle that is aerodynamically impossible and Bane stole a FUSION REACTOR the size of a small car and you're complaining about Bruce Wayne's bum knee and "broken" back. How come you are not complaining that Selina Kyle is running around and fighting in high heel boots.

9. Set Harth

One nod to this is that we do see the city's lights flickering out in places, but only in the aerial shot preceding a conversation between Gordon & Blake and then immediately following that conversation.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

I couldn't help but think of that when Batman was trying to get rid of the bomb in this movie. I went "SERIOUSLY?!"
    :lol:

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'll be honest; this movie is my favorite of the trilogy. I know that it is riddled with plot holes, and half the stuff in it doesn't make any sense, but I just really like it. I love Bane. I love Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. I love John Blake. I have already rewatched it twice since buying the Blu-Ray, which is more times than I've bothered to watch either of the other two movies.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not a scientist and know nothing about aerodynamics or fusion reactors, but I know very well what a broken back and a busted knee is. That is what makes the difference in the amount of suspension of disbelief.

13. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

:)

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I thought the same thing. :lol:

15. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing random about it. He has been told the bomb will be triggered if he interferes. If he lives long enough to realize it has detonated, he dies knowing that he set it off.

16. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The true question is - if you were 11 when Batman Begins came out in 2005, then could you claim that Nolan raped your childhood in 2012 with Rises? :lol:

17. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The movie had several problems which it was not able to surpass.
    I'm not a fan of "The Bat" either, simply because I also know enough about engineering to know that thing would never be able to truly fly. I'm also not a fan of the whole overblown "fusion reactor" stuff.

However, this is all stuff that has to do with technology that Bruce Wayne has access to because he's filthy stinkin' rich! The whole point of the Batman films is that he can fight crime with the highest technology money can afford. So it's easier to suspend disbelief at a Fusion Reactor, simply because, with enough money, research can be payed for an breakthroughs like that are possible.

Even a similar vehicle to the bat might be possible with some engineering changes.

I had my complaints about Catwoman also, like how she is a "good hearted" criminal, and how easy it was to have her help Bruce/Batman. The whole "wipe your identity" program was silliness as well.

I could live with those issues. I cannot believe in any way shape or form, that the Bruce we saw at the beginning of the movie (whom was so easily defeated by Catwoman simply by having his cane kicked off his hand) would possible be able to make that jump out of that pit (Remember his knee has zero cartilage left, and you cannot just "snap" a spinal disc back into place! Fuck fuck that's not the way the back works!! If you crush something like a vertebrae or a spinal disc, YOU NEED FUCKING SURGERY! End of story!)

This is why the movie lost me by that point.

For your average action flick where the hero never gets hit with bullets, and can walk perfectly with shards of metal shoved into his leg muscles (Eraser, I'm looking in your direction!) this is perfectly acceptable silliness, because most people already KNOW that's what they're going to see.

For TDKR, it gave up its original premise to try to keep everything realistic, and turned into a straight up cornball action flick at the end, even with the cliche "Must toss the bomb away from the city" and the "fake death"

Personally I just couldn't believe Bruce Wayne was in any shape to get up and beat Bane in a fist fight. The story failed to make me believe that.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

People falling or being thrown great distances and they get up without effort has immediately crossed into the fantastic. After that it's nitpicking to belabour other elements asking for suspension of disbelief.

19. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, but most action movies where heroes survive totally un-survivable beatings have the good sense not to have scenes in which doctors tell them how wrecked they are. Tony Stark takes far worse hits than Nolan's Batman, but you'll never see a doctor tell him he'll barely be able to walk again.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Pretty much it. You can't have it both ways, you can't in one scene tell me that Bruce Wayne has no cartilage in his knee rendering him crippled for good and then, later show him using a crazy leg brace to kick rock walls apart (which still wouldn't overcome the pain and problems in his knee) and then even later show him doing push-ups and other calisthenics withgout the crazy knee brace and THEN show him fighting and holding his own.

Because those things do not flow. It's an increasing series of contradictions. We were told in the beginning of the movie that Bruce Wayne for all intents and purposes was crippled but he just somehow "overcame it." So either Billionaire Bruce Wayne went to a REALLY shitty orthopedic doctor or the movie has a plot hole in it.

It also renders that whole plot point sort of useless if it's just shrugged off.