teacake does Stargate: punch it

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by teacake, Oct 7, 2012.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    [​IMG]

"Libidinous"

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

She mentions having an ex-husband in Hathor. Though I suppose the fact that he's an ex might actually support the gay theory.

3. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

@ Cold Lazarus: one of my favourite episodes in season 1. But I agree about showing Charlie to Sara. On the other hand, I thought the emotions of this episode rang very true - and I'd have loved to see Sara return at some point because it's not for a lack of love that they separated.

@ Fire and Water: I especially loved the scenes where the team dealt with Daniel's "death".

@ Hathor: Actually, I hate that episode. Daniel's basically raped in this episode, and no one addresses that.

In general: I keep coming back to SG-1 because the team is quite perfectly balanced. They just work as a team (although I by far prefer Jack and Daniel to Teal'c and Sam). There's lots of humour, but lots of drama and understatement as well. SG-A tried to copy that later, and had basically an O'Neill-ripoff with Sheppard... and a copy's almost never as good as the original.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol: No I'm not laughing at Daniel's rape, I'm laughing because last night I went to bed after posting about Hathor which I'd just watched and I thought.. now if that was the VOY forum there would be a 20 page thread about how Daniel was raped. Anyone who hangs out over there will know what I mean.

But SG-A has Rodney, the hottest man evah.

And yes it is very well balanced, humourous (nicely dry) just great chemistry. I am really happy knowing there are 10 seasons ahead of me!

5. Claudia

*g* Good point. But actually, I meant that no one in the series addresses that, not Carter, not Fraiser, not Jack... and Daniel isn't traumatized etc.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Not much reaction tyically from the fans in Farscape either, when Miss "Breast Sweat" comes along. Though, at least the show doesn't forget it.

7. teacake

Singularity: I was all ready, TWICE during this episode to declare it brave and wonderful and stepping outside the box. But they managed to take two excellent story options and shove them so far back in the box they had to give it a puppy in the end.

First time I honestly thought they were going to let that little girl blow up in the nuke safe bunker. Yes the SG top brass made that decision but I stupidly, hopefully thought it would actually happen. That this would be a horrible tragic story that made me sick to the stomach because it was so much more graphic and in your face than nameless distant Goa'uld deaths. And then Carter decided to stay with her so I knew of course she would not die.

BUT! There was still a chance for greatness. Carter was that close to being my all time greatest hero ever in this because she was going to sacrifice her own life so the terrified child wouldn't be left alone, sealed in with her countdown to exploding. I was in awe of Carter making this decision, it was such a visceral choice. It reminded me of the 9/11 story where a man stayed with his wheelchair bound friend till the end rather than save himself and leave his friend to die alone. And then, FUCK YOU STARGATE they revealed that Carter had made her decision because she suddenly realized that the kid woke up because she was not near the stargate and that she was not going to explode!!

CASSANDRA: Are we going to die?
    CARTER: No, we are not going to die.

--

O'NEILL: How did you know, Captain.
    CARTER: It occurred to me that she first slipped into the coma when we brought her close to the Stargate. As soon as we got her far enough away from the Stargate, she woke up, and I knew.

Damn it all to heck. And then they gave it a puppy.

btw this is a very cute dog, I'm wondering if it's a particular breed? Anyone know? Also check out the dog hair covering O'Neill's shirt :lol:

[​IMG]

8. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

You might have the "final cut" version. Brad Wright pulled a 'George Lucas' on it not so long ago.

[​IMG]

9. teacake

Cor-ai: God I hate trial eps. And this one was trite and dull and predictable. It did have one funny exchange though.

HAMMOND: Colonel, the United States is not in the business of interfering in other people's affairs.

O'NEILL: Since when, sir?

:guffaw:

10. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    The balance/chemistry is the one thing that keeps me going through the duff episodes. I never got that with SG:A and only managed season 1 (I think) before I gave up. But if we get to a SG:A rewatch thread down the line, I might endure this time.

11. teacake

Oh I'm sure I'll be rewatching SG:A, it had that VOY cheese element which is a lot of fun as well as developing some nice chemistry as it went along. Plus.. Bob Picardo! So I might join you on that rewatch if someone starts one up.. after I finish these 10 seasons, LOL

Enigma:
    An excellent story, with the bad guy turning out to be a bit of a prick in personality only, in the end we find out he had the best interests of everyone in mind. Omoc was very well acted, reserved and bored and just a bit pissy. Great presence.

Carter's suitor was most unsuitable, quite a stiff fellow. Perhaps the cat will improve him.

12. teacake

Solitudes: Enjoyable two people stranded ep with a nice twist. I bet the shippers went mad on this one :lol:

I'll be taking a few days off my rewatch as I'll be offworld for a bit.

13. Claudia

@ Singularity: This is again an first episode dealing with children (with Cold Lazarus which of course had quite a different impact on O'Neill), and even though Jack isn't the focus here, it really shows how well he deals with them. He's not always just the dumb jokster, and the certain softness adds to his character. Granted, Sam knowing nothing would happen cheapens the moment in the bunker, though.

@ Cor-Ai: I think that was the first episode where I really started to appreciate Teal'c, and also Daniel's relationship with him. This is the person who selected Sha're and Daniel fights to exonerate him (even though Teal'c himself didn't want him to).

@ Enigma: I enjoyed the glimpse of other military branches, an advanced race having some kind of Prime Directive (brought on by experience), and the return of the Nox. I'd have prefered if there wasn't some kind love story going on... especially since that theme carries on later.

@ Solitudes: I absolutely love that episode especially because of the twist that the SGC searches for Jack and Sam on another planet when they're right under their noses. Loved especially Daniel and Hammond here. Oh yes, that's absolutely a shipper-episode. *g* (Sam: Uh... sir? Jack: It's my sidearm, I swear.) But is it just my impression that they packed quite a bit of MacGyver's background in here as well? Weren't both stranded in Iraq at one time? BTW, there's an absolutely brilliant blooper on youtube if anyone hasn't seen it already. *g*

14. Sindatur

MacGyver ran from 1985 to 1992. Gulf War I (Western Allies force Iraq out of Kuwait) Lasted from August 1990 to February 1991, so, if it involved the US being in an armed conflict, it certainly wasn't Iraq for MacGyver's backstory, if anything it would be a S6 or S7 episode

15. Claudia

I know that it can't be Desert Storm with MacGyver. But I think it was mentioned that he was on some kind of a mission in Iraq during the Iran/Iraq-war. I know that there's at least one episode where he was in Afghanistan, but as I said, I remember something about Iraq in his background as well...

It wasn't in an armed conflict the US were overtly in - I never got the impression that MacGyver was a soldier. But it could have been a reconaissance mission or a mission to retrieve something.

16. Sindatur

Ah, OK, my bad:alienblush:

I only ever watched a couple episodes of it. I thought he was an ex-Vet turned Spy, and you were referring to his Military Service:alienblush:

So, yea, the time of the Series would be about right for him to have been involved in a covert Operation in the Region as a Spy before or during the Series

17. gturner

gturner Admiral

RDA's experience on MacGyver gave us the format of SG-1. The idea was pitched to him and he watched and rewatched the movie, and said he'd do the TV show as long as it was an ensemble cast. He said that in MacGyver he was in just about every frame, which was grueling, and as a result he had no life during the show's run.

If you go back and look at the movie, there are really only two main actors, Kurt Russell and James Spader, and if you translated that into a series it would be a show about Jack O'Neill (90%), and his archeologist sidekick who occassionally shows up to solve a puzzle.

18. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I wouldn't go that far, Daniel was the main protagonist much more than Jack was.

19. teacake

No. No. NOOOO...
    That was another one of those great "this aint Star Trek" moments. 5 series and you'd never get an funny little exchange like that.

Also I have never seen Macgyver.

20. gturner

gturner Admiral

Yes, he was, in framing the back story, figuring out how the gate works and then how to get the team back home, but having already solved those problems in the movie, he wasn't really necessary for the TV series since it was an action/adventure show. The Daniel character could've been just a supporting role, something like General Hammond or Dr. Frasier, with the main focus being on O'Neill and his team of "this week's redshirts." :devil:

I'm glad they didn't go that route, but if RDA had been a camera hog it probably could've turned out that way.