Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kenbushway, Feb 4, 2013.

?

Are real men becoming extinct?

Poll closed Mar 6, 2013.
  1. Yes real men are becoming extinct

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. No real men aren't becoming extinct

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Yes and No

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. You're crazy, no one thinks about this.

14 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

:guffaw::lol:

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I sure hope real men as you define them are becoming extinct.

3. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ There's always a glamorous side to things, made possible by ignoring the sides that aren't as palatable. Some women find great appeal in the age-old "tough guy", the pinnacle of masculinity. Perhaps the antithesis of the bombshell hottie. And while the "cowboy" will be a brute at times, even a chauvinist, the hottie may follow along the stereotype of being a primping hussy full of herself and eager to indulge in the gold mine of her benefactor lover-daddy. Yeah... there's always an ugly underside if you care to look for it. ;)

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Nope, Electrical Engineer by trade. If I had to pick one of them that I'm not, it'd be athletic, but that wouldn't be entirely accurate. I did play high school football, I'm just terribly out of shape today, 12 years later. These days, I ride my cruiser rather than jog. I haven't hiked in a while, but I used to be a fairly frequent backpacker. Which reminds me, I need to get the Memorial Day camping trip for my friends planned.

Anyway, as other posters state, "real man" is subjective to the woman asking the question.

5. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Aren't you 18?

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^ :guffaw::guffaw:

NOW it all makes sense.

7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Apparently real men are so lacking in confidence and self-worth that they need to have vacuous conversations where they discuss what a real man is and how they're a dying breed instead of just doing what makes them and their family content and not worrying about their image.

Apparently real men need to create arbitrary self-serving definitions of masculinity based on their own personal jobs, preferences, and hobbies like auto repair and ditch digging in order to position themselves as better than others.

Apparently real men don't see the hypocrisy in arguing for better treatment of other men while dismissing countless numbers of them as "non-real men" for bizarre reasons like whether they shave their heads or not, work in office jobs, have good hygiene, or what generation they're born in.

Apparently real men have a victim complex absent of any demonstrable cause for feeling victimized, and irrationally fear being a minority or having anything upset their cozy white Christian male dominated society.

If all of that is what it takes to be a "real man," good riddance to them and their anachronistic, arrogant, Alpha Male machismo bullshit. The sooner they pass on and leave the "newer generations" to continue to carve out a less rape-filled, spousal abusing, violence glorifying, racist, sexist, homophobic, warlike, and respectful path the better we'll all be for it.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

9. Kenbushway

You make an assumption that I believe I am a man. A man to me isn't just appearance or hobbies. A man takes care of his loved ones whether it be spouse or parents or siblings, does right by job, does right by themselves, respectful towards everyone especially elders and woman. I have no real responsibility, I do help my parents out but by most of my standards including ones not listed. I do not consider myself a man just yet; I have some time to go. Do I think men should be worried about getting dirty, no. Do I think men should care about how they shake hands, yes. I am tired of this slap high five then twisting of the hands crap, whatever they do these days that is considered the new handshake. Do I think men should be able to fix simplest things, yes. Majority of what I believe to be a man has nothing to do with hobbies or personality. I watched my peers in high school, it was a shame. They don't treat woman with respect or elders. They don't take pride in their surroundings, they like trashing other people's property and things for a laugh. Your whole post was a real waste of time, you started out and continued with assumptions.

10. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Now you're just being silly.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Wait has the Y gene dissappeared?.

But no real men have not dissapeared, that's like saying real women have dissapeared. Both genders run the full gauntlet of types. Maybe Men of today are different than they where a generation(s) ago but society changes over time.

In terms of relationships some prefer someone who is more masculine, some prefer someone who is more feminie. But as with anything both genders can display either trait or in between depending on the context.

12. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

There is so much wrong with this post I am exhausted just thinking about where to begin.

13. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, just don't.

14. Kenbushway

You've never had a problem getting on me in the past, I doubt much could stop that now.

15. thestrangequark

What, you mean that one time in another thread when I pointed out that anecdote and evidence aren't the same thing, and you never responded? That wasn't getting on you, that was trying to explain what really is a genuinely counter intuitive and difficult truth. That had nothing to do with you personally -- you see, I wasn't attacking you, I was defending science!

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

SCIENCE!

(sorry, just had 80's flashback)

17. Kenbushway

I wasn't pointing to the last time, I said past that includes a long time ago. I should have been more detailed. I understood what you meant the last time; I didn't feel a need to respond, nor did I know you were expecting one. Getting on me doesn't mean attack it can mean correcting as well.

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What is all this crap about real men fixing things? Don't you think women should be able to fix things too?

You either learn to fix things or you learn to earn enough to pay someone else to fix them. Neither is right or wrong, they are just choices you make. And none of it has anything at all to do with gender.

19. Kenbushway

I haven't talked about woman, because I am not one. My post wasn't meant to insult gender.

20. thestrangequark

^The gender you're insulting is your own!
    If you see being corrected as the same as someone "getting on" you, you might want to analyze your reactions. You're not going to learn much or be very happy if you take it personally every time someone corrects an error you've made. As for the past, I honestly don't remember ever having a conflict with you before...are you sure it was me? Because that doesn't sound like me. I'll attack an argument, but rarely will I attack a person.

As for the problems with your argument, do you really want to hear them, or are you going to feel like I'm attacking you.