Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by RoJoHen, Feb 9, 2013.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Pretty much this. Firefly does not have a complicated premise.

It's exactly the same premise of Farscape.

Hell, Arrested Development's premise is spelled out for us in the opening credits: "This is the story of a wealthy family who lost everything and the one son who had no choice but to keep them all together."

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That's a pretty good comparison, although, of course, FARSCAPE also contained a hefty dose of BUCK ROGERS and A PRINCESS OF MARS, with a modern-day Earthman unexpectedly transported to an exotic space opera setting, full of colorful aliens and adventures.

I do think that the overtly "Western" trappings on FIREFLY initially confused and/or turned off some people. I know that, among my own circle of friends, it caused some head-scratching and took a little getting used to.

"Is it supposed to look like a cowboy movie?"

"I think that's kinda the idea, yes."

"Oh. Not sure what I think about that."

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, the show's original title was "Underachieving Space Hipsters"... :p

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I would totally watch that show, too.

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would have liked to have seen Twin Peaks either cancelled sooner or later.

Sooner, as in at the end of the "Laura Palmer" arc and before they started the "Annie" arc.

Later, as in if they had been allowed to give the show a proper conclusion.

6. Greg Cox

Firefly: Okay, how about: "It's a space western about this Han Solo-type character and his crew."

Dollhouse: To be honest, I've only seen a handful of Dollhouse eps, but let me give it a shot.

"A dark, sexy, and provocative scifi series about a woman employed by a mysterious company that programs her with a new personality and memories every week. Echo can be anyone the client wants--but who is she, really?"

Or, more casually: "It's this sexy, kind of disturbing scifi series about a woman who gets a different personality and identity every week. Weird, huh?"

Or: "Think Le Femme Nikita--but with a scifi twist."

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

So far I haven't come across any tv shows which were almost impossible to figure out eventually. (Not even movies, for that matter).

More often, I come across almost "mindwreck" impossible type stuff, when I attempt to read some wikipedia pages on topics in advanced mathematics. A lot harder to figure out, than a tv show like Dollhouse.

8. Greg Cox

Yeah, you don't need to tell every viewer everything at once. Note that the opening spiel of STAR TREK ("These are the voyages," etc.) doesn't say anything about the United Federation of Planets, Starfleet, Vulcans, Klingons, the Prime Directive, warp drives, and so on.

If people are interested in the basic premise, they'll catch on to the rest in time. If not, force-feeding them all those details probably don't matter.

In the beginning, you just need to sketch things in broad strokes: "An enigmatic druid warrior teams up with a sexy cyborg to find an unearthly treasure beyond imagining!"

9. jayceee

Sometimes these things are easily guessable and predictable, from such buzzlines and genre descriptions. (Or the back cover description of a novel).

This is especially the case if one reads web sites like tvtropes.org all the time. :)

10. Greg Cox

There's also the time-honored "X meets Y" formulation.

"It's BUFFY meets DEADWOOD."

"It's GOSSIP GIRL with elves and fairies!"

"It's THE SOPRANOS--in space!"

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well there was the Alliance. I'm sure Mal and crew would have been happy to overthrow it. But the Alliance wasn't so much 'evil empire' as 'bloated bureaucracy'.

12. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Journeyman would have been a good ride for at least one more season.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Firefly: It's Stagecoach meets Star Wars!

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Firefly - Western in Space, that's what went around and why Firefly was dismissed by so many initially. I really wish the internet archive had a TrekBBS snapsot when Firefly premiered. A lot of people didn't give it a chance based on that.

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Sabrina Lloyd was on the much bigger cult hit Sports Night, which she would have never been on if she was still doing Sliders.

However Numbers was one 10 years after Sliders, and it doesn't seem she stayed with that show anyways.

The good old days. :lol:

And Arrested Development is getting a movie anyways, the Netflix new season is like "ACT 1" for the movie. If it's popular we will get more seasons / movies.

16. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Imagine what could've been if they had given Earth: Final Conflict a second season instead turning it into some worthless piece of crap that only kept some minor details?

As for Firefly, I actually liked it exactly because it filled the void left by childhood memories of shows like Saber Rider, Galaxy Rangers and Bravestarr.

17. jayceee

Awhile ago I was watching season 5 of Earth: Final Conflict. It seemed like a completely different tv show, than the previous seasons. No taelons.

(Besides the first and fifth seasons, I haven't really watched the other seasons, other than some random episodes).

18. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They basically made it worse with every season because they tried to "fix" what didn't need fixing.

At the end of season 4 the showrunners merged the Taelons with a competing alien race to get those space vampires (failed attempt to merge two offshoots of an ancestral race back together). That's when they flushed even the last reasons to be still watching that train wreck down the drain.
    Guess after the terrible seasons 2-4 they wanted to create something so bad, it actually made the previous ones seem almost bearable.

19. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Bosom Buddies had stayed on the air, would Tom Hanks be one of those guys like Michael J Fox or Ted danson with a few hit movies but a big TV career?

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ If that show had lasted longer, Hanks would have probably left. His film career was already starting to take off, amirite? Famous actors like him rarely do TV for long.