Ender's Game (2013 Film)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    Director: Gavin Hood
    Screenplay: Gavin Hood
    Stars: Asa Butterfield, Abigail Breslin, Harrison Ford
    IMDB
    Wikipedia

Really excited about this film. I loved the movie as a kid, and they've assembled quite a cast. The film will take scenes from Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. Orson Scott Card has voiced his approval of the film so far.

Some initial stills from the film: 1,2

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still a bit uneasy about this film. There's just something that seems "off." I can't really put my finger on it. Maybe I'm still in shock it's actually a reality.

I do have to say the one thing I'm looking most forward to is Breslin as Val. Talk about perfect.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I am very nervous about how this movie is going to compare to the book, but I'm still looking forward to it.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Produced by Orci and Kurtzman. There goes my interest. At least they aren't credited as writers, so I might give this a chance on free TV after all.

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a book that has been on my shelf for a long, long time but I have never read.

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

you should really give it a look. Ender's Game is great. that whole series of books is good actually.

7. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that's a six-year-old kid right there.

Hate.

8. theenglish

That's common in cinema, though. None of the kids in Game of Thrones are the age they should be, except maybe Arya.

Is the Ender series all self-contained stories or do you have to read through the entire series?

9. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't care if it's common. Making Ender 15 or whatever makes the whole thing pointless.

Ender's Game is entirely self-contained. The other Ender books form their own story. Ender's Shadow is a nice companion to Ender's Game, and the other Shadow books likewise are form their own story. Beware though that some of the later books suffer due to Orson Scott Card's utter insanity.

10. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I was in the same situation as you long ago, and I read it due to the hype surrounding it, but personally I didn't think it was that great, for various reasons. It never really clicked with me.

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought EG was overrated. I stopped after the first three books (in publication order); they got progressively unsatisfying.

I'm not ruling out seeing it, though, but that will depend on what else is showing at the time and what else I'm up to.

12. CorporalClegg

You do have a point. It's like making a Lord of the Flies film with teenagers.

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm looking forward to this but I'm uneasy by Gavin Hood's track record. Once we see a trailer, I think we'll have a better feel for it.

14. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

15. CorporalClegg

Uncle Orson is a douche. Welcome to 1986.

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Harrison Ford going to wear a fat suit? If you've read the book, you know why I'm asking.

17. theenglish

I am very much against Card's opinions on this, but what does this have to do with his ability to write a good Superman story? Just like a gay writer does not have to write stories about gay issues (eg. Lincoln), an anti-gay writer does not have to write pro-hetero/anti-gay stories.

We really need to get some societal perspective.

18. CorporalClegg

I have concerns he can't write a good Superman story because he can no longer write. Uncle Orson was a two-hit wonder.

19. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Read EG and enjoyed it. Never followed up with the others because the end end of EG got a little too weird for me. And I was told the rest of the books followed those paths as well.

I'll check out the movie, hopefully it'll be decent. But I agree with what others posters say about the author...a bit of a wacko.

20. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

trailer debuts

First Trailer For “Ender's Game” Debuts At CinemaCon

source

next month we'll see the trailer May 17.
    source