2013 Star Trek HOT WHEELS - Excelsior, Kelvin, Vengeance, BoP

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Tribble puncher, Feb 15, 2013.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Anyone seen them in stores recently?

2. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't seen any of the Star Trek merchandise in the stores. Even my local comic / collector stores don't have them

-Chris

3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

No luck here. Then too I don't know what good luck looks like :)
    Nice avatar BTW

4. Kotowboy

Kotowboy Ensign Red Shirt

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I did finally get Vengeance (villain ship) as part of the Wal Mart exclusive DVD blu-ray everything set.

The ship came on a card, and the plastic bubble which wrapped the ship might be different than the Hot Wheel box version. I wouldn't consider it re-casting to pour resin or plaster into a disposable plastic clam shell--but if you were to do that, you would get a solid saucer with no cut outs.

The flat flank of the secondary hull might be a good place to put nacelle supports for a larger ship, with a tube recessed into the boxy lower hul to approximate a more standard seconary hull.

The Vengeance actualy has the best 3/4 views of any ship--it is actually more graceful than it looks at first. Or maybe Hot Wheels just had the nacelles up higher.

6. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

I just got back from a local flea market here in Lexington, KY. Surprisingly, I found the entire 2013 wave of hot wheels trek ships there. for, get this 3.99 a piece! they all had crushed packaging...the kelvin was so bad that the upper hull was bent, (I passed on that one) I got the BOP, which I didn't have, the excelsior, to replace the first one I got that had a slightly bent unfixable warp engine, and another vengeance, just because I couldn't leave it there for 4 bucks.

On an off topic, has anyone figured out how to dig the ball socket out of these ships when the stands break? I just had my original series 1701 stand break off, and I don't know how to get that thing out without damaging the ship itself...I considered drilling...

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Sounds like that flea market got its hands on some damaged lots (product that someone sent back to the manufacturer because it had arrived to them in non-mint or poor condition; the manufacturer sold them off to someone else in "buy as-is" lots to try to get something out of them).

8. Tribble puncher

I figure it was something like that, or that the guy who owned the booth had bought a few cases and one of them was damaged, and he just threw them out there because it was less hassle then returning...I'm sure the undamaged ones were on ebay or amazon if thats what the deal was...

9. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that's a toughie. I'm not sure it would even drill out very easy. Maybe a tiny bit could get in there enough to pull out. :/

I'm hoping that since the stopped using the transparent plastic that kind of think won't happen with the 2013 releases. I've noticed that transparent plastic isn't very robust, the few 2009 HW ships I have the stands have warped and the ships are all droopy (but at least mine haven't broken yet).

10. Tribble puncher

I think I'm going to use a small drill bit, drill a little hole, and then use a a 4 x 1/2 wood screw...(its what I have availible) screw it in a little bit, and then try to pull the screw while still attached to the ball joint out with pliers, hopefully that will work.

11. Tribble puncher

FYI...the above method worked...I was able to get the broken balls joints out of all 3 ships. no damage to any of them.

12. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

That's good - I'm pretty sure the stand on my TMP-refit Enterprise will be giving up the ghost before too much longer.

13. BlueMetroid

BlueMetroid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Anyone notice the nacelle being "loose" on the Kelvin? Causing a slight tilt when the ship is on the stand?

14. Tribble puncher

Yeah, the "glue" holding the nacelle to the saucer came loose rather quickly on mine, my Kelvin's nacelle wiggles slightly now, it's not a huge deal to me, the nacelles still on good. but it looks crooked on the stand unless you adjust it after positioning it.

15. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

With the Kelvin Nacele loose, you have kitbash fodder

17. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It was pure luck that I got one of the 2013 version by walking into a Target at the right time on the right day--and haven't seen one again anywhere in the several months since. I doubt that the improved 2014 version will be any easier to find.

19. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I have never seen the little Enterprise in stores, I finally said "eff it" and bought a couple from an eBay scalper.

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Hot Wheels has Colonial Viper toys as well.