Enterprise Pic

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by bdb, Jan 17, 2008.

1. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

There's a difference between creating a backstory designed to sustain for an indefinite number of episodes and creating a backstory for a single feature film (admittedly designed to spawn others) that is supposed to make the general public want to see Trek. Figuring out that warp engines need to made in a gravity well sounds awfully damned specific for a detail that would only otherwise be in a writer's bible (something you don't create for a feature anyway.)

Also, while the original GR bible for Trek has plenty of good stuff in it, I by no means think that is the crucial ingredient for making the show work; that lies with the execution, specifically by Coon, though Black and Lucas and Justman and Fontana contributed massively as well. GR could have spent five years writing the most interesting bible, and if the captain/science officer dynamic had been with Jeffrey Hunter and Leonard Nimoy, there would be no trek cult or bbs or probably even fifteen episodes playing on TVland.

I don't think your criticism is invalid, given the variety of complaints and complainers; just that it isn't applicable to my comment.

2. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    ^^That's no different than Roddenberry inventing transporters solely because they made the production decision early that it would cost too much to show the ship landing.

Fan: "Why doesn't the ship land?"

Roddenberry: "There's no need to land silly fanboy; we have Transporters!"

3. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Transporters were a key device on the series, a key to the storytelling.

Knowing that warp engines have to be made in a gravity well is a pretty tiny little detail, one that would be about 8 millionth on the list for storytelling (if that high), UNLESS it was a particular story point (or thought up to deflect criticism.)

4. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Only problem I have with the welding is you should be wearing a full face-mask and you don't touch the rod like that. I can see arc-welding being done on some structural joints with a followup technobabble to seal and anneal the joint.

*shurg* Arc welding is an old old process by now, it's a very stable controllable process now, a skilled welder can weld anything to anything and make a nice smooth joint doing it.

While stick-weld is one of the most dramatic in terms of sparks second only to oxyfuel cutting I would have been running a TIG or MIG welder. Better joint better control.

*shrug* Overall it's a minor MINOR quibble. I enjoyed the trailer for what it is.

5. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    I'm still bit baffled that people are getting so hung up on welders in the trailer. Talk about not being able to see the forest for the trees...

6. Jackson_Roykirk

The point is that Orci made that statement because he is just trying to prove to the hardcore fans that they are putting at least a little thought into what they are putting on paper and on film. I can't criticize him for that, but I do criticize him for trying too hard to reach out to the hardcore fans by explaining the minutiae of his thought process.

He probably better off just doing what he thinks is best and shutting up about it. This episode proves that.

7. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of trees... The trees that I was able to make out in the background in the trailer were not at all the kind of trees that are indigenous to areas where a shipyard of any kind would be located. Now, I suppose that, since this is in the future, maybe there is some way that genetic alterations or artificial environments could be generated in such a way to allow those trees to thrive so close to an industrial area, but without further explanation from Bob Orci (and I mean a good explanation), I may have to pass on this film. Sloppy, really.

8. Jackson_Roykirk

I agree -- on another thread I noted that the trailer for 'First Contact' included a Borg ship that was in the shape of a Starfleet Emblem.

Obviously this was done just for dramatic effect, and one could argue that the welder is only shown for dramatic effect.

9. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love the idea people still hold (or should that be delusion) that this Enterprise will come before the Cage so it fits in with 'canon'

With the entire TOS crew being cast in this movie how can there be any doubt that some part (if not alot/most/all) of this film be set on Kirks Enterprise with Kirk in command, Sulu at the helm ect and this new ship will be THE ship.

For me if this happens I will deal with it as from the start Ive been able to comprehend a reality where TOS and Star Trek can coexist but not have to fit together. If this comes to pass though I feel sorry for those of you who have break downs over it...after all its a TV show (or in this case movie)

I just wanna see more and dont care how it fits into canon or if it does at all (the story will explain how where and why) I just want to see more of a new version of my favourite ship...a new version of THE ship not some prettender with an A, B, C, D or E! :D

10. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Now, after seeing the HD-teaser, do you still say this looks like an animatic?

11. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

Honestly, I thought it looked more fake in the HD teaser, speaking as an amateur CGI artist (though hoping to change that eventually) who thought that the still of the Enterprise was gorgeous.

12. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Then we obviously didn't see the same teaser...

13. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

I've often noticed that CGI which looks photoreal and beautiful in stills looks fake in animations. Screencaps from an animation that looks terrible can look pretty damned good.

Though it definitely looks better in 1080p! :D

14. Thomas Riker

Thomas Riker Commander Red Shirt

Guys I have seen the HD version of this teaser and there is some major welding going on.

I have smelled the 23rd Century and it smells like acetylene, get used to it. ;)

15. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Before Teaser: "I want them to think! :mad: :scream: :censored:"

After Teaser: "I don't want them to think!"

:guffaw:

Before Teaser: "No CGI! Use Physical Models! :mad: :scream: :censored:"

After Teaser: "CGI looks better in still images than animated! :mad: :scream: :censored:"

:guffaw:

16. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

This is Pike's ship. Maybe by the time it gets to kirk it'll change to fiberglass. I just hope the neck is sleek and the sets and technology are aesthetically pleasing. It must still appeal as GR said to aunt Maude in Peoria as well as the 'kiddies'. Sorry ST fans but expect a cotton candy script (soft sci-fi a la fantasy).

17. shipfisher

shipfisher Commander Red Shirt

Just a few thoughts concerning the teaser trailer and previous rumors:

1701 built on the ground - takes off on a big track mounted rocket sled up the side of a mountain (think Fireball XL5)

Rotating nacelle rumor - teaser "nacelles" actually take-off jets with big turbines

1701 with wings - well, you need something to fly with once off the launch ramp.

different upper saucer profile - aero-cladding that is jettisoned above atmosphere with the jets and wings (think Lost in Space remake) - as this happens, a bridge shot shows the crew removing launch jump-suits to reveal "The Cage" style pyjama top uniforms in all their ill-fitting glory as all the bridge stations fold and invert out of launch mode into familiar plywood and plastic 60's iconic styles.

What remains is the good ol' pilot style 1701 with it's big arse bridge dome, minus the nacelles, which are waiting in spacedock with great big spikes on the bussard domes.

Everyone happy now? If so, my work here is done. :rolleyes:

18. Galactic Alignment

Galactic Alignment Captain Captain

Is this really the full-sized Trek 11 Enterprise?

I like it.

19. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kind of like that.

-Chris

20. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^
    That's Gabe's ship, btw.