Peter Capaldi continues to show how awesome he is

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Nth Doctor, Aug 21, 2014.

1. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Why would it he end of Doctor Who, do you really believe that people en masse would stop watching the show? And if you see the Doctor regenerate into a female how would she have stolen his name?

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

It would be the people in charge stealing the name for a different person. Also, is it that hard to believe that fans of a show don't want massive changes? I do think a female Timelord calling herself The Doctor would lose viewers. Its just a totally different show at that point. I'm all for female leads, but they need to be their own characters, not rule 63 versions of popular people. To use superheroesas an example , Batwoman is cool because she's her own great character, they didn't give Bruce a gender swap to bring in female readers. I'd actually really like to see a female Timelord on the show, the closest we've had (in nuWho) was River Song and I really liked her. It just needs to be in addition to The Doctor, not replacing the main character with a female character and slapping his name on her.

3. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Starbuck in BSG is actually an excellent example. I far prefer her!

I still would prefer a male doctor because of my own selfish wants. However I am not at all against the concept of having a female doctor. It actually shouldn't be this big of a deal.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Especially since the Doctor is so many different people over time. If you don't like what's done with one Doctor, just wait three or so years. It's not the end of the world, and why should one person's preferences about the Doctor be binding on everyone else?

The people who want the Doctor to be male have had their way for fifty-plus years now. It's petty to be so grudging about letting other fans be satisfied for a change.

5. kirk55555

I can't really compare Starbucks, since I've barely seen the original. In NuBSG she was ok, but not great. She could be irritating, and she was part of the show jumping the shark at the end. I really don't get why so many people seem to really like her. I just think she's ok, but I could see the original being better, I'd just need to see more of him.

Well then, by that logic I can't wait until the next Titan book has an alien force permanently gender swap Riker and Troi. They've been male/female since the late eighties, its definitely time for a change ;) Actually, some aliens should just gender swap everyone in the Star Trek universe. Elderly french women don't have enough representation in Star Trek, so Jeanne-Luc Picard is far overdue :rolleyes: Or, better yet, get rid of all male characters all together. Then, there will be a whole universe of only female characters, maybe then the PC police will be happy.

Seriously, why do people hate pre-established characters? Why can't people just enjoy characters the way they are? If you want different types of characters, by all means make them. But, don't take away other people's ability to enjoy new stories with the characters they enjoy in the process.

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-...doctor-one-day

"Could there ever be a female Doctor? Well, the man who could ultimately decide – BBC director of television Danny Cohen – has revealed that he is up for the idea.

Asked at today’s Edinburgh International Television Festival whether there would ever be a woman Time Lord, Cohen said: “I hope so”."

Or TvOvermind:-

"Reporting from the annual Edinburgh TV Festival, The Hollywood Reporter gathered some quotes from the BBC’s TV chief, Danny Cohen, and one of the most interesting soundbites that he offered was his opinion about the possibility of a female actress landing the leading role on Doctor Who.

“I hope so,” Cohen said, expressing his desire to see a female time lord.

Unfortunately, Cohen didn’t express just how soon we could possibly see a female Doctor and provided no real specifics on a time table for when this could happen on the cult sci-fi series, which returns for a new season this weekend with actor Peter Capaldi now in the titular role."

http://www.tvovermind.com/doctor-who...someday-238710

7. kirk55555

Well, a noncommittal "I hope so" from a guy who might not even still be around by the time it might be considered in the future by whoever the showrunner is definitely shows how likely it is to happen. Heck, its practically a guarantee :rommie:

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

the whole stealing a name thing makes no sense. And it really matters only to the viewers of the show not the fans on the internet, who for the most part don't seem to care. And as always if you don't like the present Doctor there's always another one. The show went though a masive change when Troughton came along and again when Eccleston became the Doctor, somehow I think fandom can survive a female Doctor.

9. kirk55555

You really don't think average TV viewers would care if The Doctor randomly became a woman? They'd probably be more confused than big fans, since I doubt non nerds remember gender swapping being established in one line of dialog in one episode a few years ago. Also, I'm pretty sure a TV audience being resistant to change isn't just a nerd thing. You seem to think it would go off without a hitch, and that's just ridiculous.

Also, the show may survive a female Doctor, but only because its gotten so big its probably impossible for one unpopular series to kill it. She'd be gone after one series. The PC police would be happy she's there, but the average TV viewer would be confused and want to know where The Doctor went, and a good deal of hardcore fans would be complaining. I'm pretty confident it won't be happening anytime soon. Capaldi will probably be around for a few series, and I'm sure the show will just keep going the way it always has. A female Doctor is really a non issue right now, regardless of how much the PC brigade want it.

In the end, I'd watch a female Doctor. I'd probably hate her more than I hate the 7th Doctor (well, actually since she wouldn't be the real Doctor I suppose the 7th would still be my most disliked), but its Doctor Who. At this point they'd have to turn The Doctor into a serial killer or a literal circus clown to get me to stay away. But, I'd rather the show not jump the shark and rule 63 the Doctor. He's a guy, he's always been a guy, and I doubt he'll ever not be a guy, regardless of how much the PC police demand that every character be changed and diversified so that they can feel smug and laugh at people who liked the real character.

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Why wouldn't she be the real Doctor, just because you say so?

11. kirk55555

The real Doctor is a male Timelord from Galifrey. Just because PC police don't want that to be true, it is. A woman can call herself The Doctor, but it doesn't make her The Doctor. For me, the gender a character is created with is the gender of the character. If something as essential as the gender is changed, its no longer the same character, regardless of the official line. Its a rebooted character who has taken the original characters name, purely for name recognition. I'm a fan of the show about the Timelord who travels through space and time and helps people. ts what's been the situation for 50 years, and its about as established as you can get. Anything else isn't the real character, its just PC people ruining something so they can feel good about how "diverse" they are, at the expense of the character.

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I'm going in everyone, wish me luck!

People did freak out. Before an single episode was aired. And then... it was all quiet. (except for the truly crazy.) Most everyone I know, loves the nuStarbuck (with the exception of some episodes in season four... "WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAAAAA!")

But, basically, people freaked at the idea, and then saw the execution... and there was silence.

That's my point.

Sure, some characters are meant to be guys. Some are meant to be women.

Appeal to tradition all you want, but, it's a pretty weak argument, especially with a character that changes shape.

You keep saying this. Give me a percentage, how much of the Doctor's character is his gender? Because the Doctor has a lot of different personalities, characteristics, that keeps getting thrown out... So...?

Why do you have such a hostility towards diversity? I'm serious.

Sigh. Again, you're just lashing out. The Doctor is certainly a unique character, in that he/she LITERALLY changes his body.

Now, there was a storyline where Thor was a frog. Would you freak out? He's no longer an alien from another planet, but a frog. Is that throwing the character out?

He has been cast as a white male actor, yes, for 50 years. I wonder if times have changed since the 1960s.... hm....

Again, an appeal to tradition.

What about a black man, could a black man play the Doctor? He's always been white.... wouldn't THAT be throwing out the character by your logic?

Sure. That would be great. What if Terrance Howard played Bruce Wayne? For 75 years he's been a white guy. Would that be throwing out the character? In this day and age, there are plenty of very wealthy African Americans, no reason why they couldn't be gunned down and have their son avenge their deaths.

Just because it hasn't happened before, it can't happen now?

Why? Take a moment, serious, ask yourself, why do you hate the idea of diversity. And for those on the other side of it, its not "for it's own sake."

Even one that changes like every 3 to 4 years?

Skin color and gender are the major characteristics of those characters?

To be frank, I'm not suggesting that suddenly Clark Kent should be black. I'm challenging you on your logic and ideas of what character is and can be.

Why not? Why is Tom Baker the same as McCoy the same as Smith, but not Maggie Smith? Why?

Why not? Be specific.

Isn't that true of any male actor?

You keep repeating, but you don't say why. And really, having a shape changing alien change into a woman is extreme?

I brought it up...and, forgive me, I thought it was pretty obvious, because there was a tremendous outcry from his casting. "That character has always been white, how could he be played by a black actor!" It's your argument. Not in gender, but, in race. But, it's your argument. Why is race different than gender? Why is changing the race of a character ok, but not the gender?

Why is race changing ok, but not gender? Again, for a shape changing alien, whose race can change gender and not even be humanoid?

So, it's not how a character behaves, the actions they takes, the desires they might have, the fears, it's what they look like? That's the core of a character? Really? That's the core of a character?

Bully for you!

:rolleyes: Nice try. But, clearly, the Doctor isn't hated. You were the one presenting the idea that one of the core reasons he's popular is that he's male. I'm challenging you on that silly notion.

There's a riot going on!? Cool. Oh. There's not. Hyperbole. I know you're scared of change, but, it's not bad. It really isn't. And, yeah, maybe girls should get someone to look up to who isn't just the Doctor's companion.

I'm sorry, I don't know where you live, but, there aren't PC Police. They aren't a real thing. I am, again, try to challenge you on your position. That maybe you should reexamine why you are so concerned and frightened, yep, I said it, of a little diversity. That maybe it's time to grow up and share your toys.

And again, you keep saying, you like the characters they way they are... THE DOCTOR CHANGES EVERY FEW... eh, fuck it...

How about this for a reason: A woman auditions and she's fucking fantastic. She's great. Isn't that a good reason? But, she wouldn't have the chance to play a shape changing alien because some fans are stuck in the 1960s.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Boomer wants to know why Starbuck gets all the comparisons. Boomer not only changed from Male to female, she also changed from Black to Asian, as well as from Human to Skin Job :klingon:

Slight diversion to on topic: 5 more hours, until I get to see how awesome Capaldi is. I'm very glad I have remained mostly Spoiler Free, looking forward to this greatly.

OK, sorry for the on-topic interruption, carry on where you were

14. Professor Zoom

Another fine example. You want to know why I forgot to include her? I couldn't remember her name. :lol: And I was to lazy to look it up.

15. kirk55555

I have hostility toward unneeded change. When I like a character, I want to keep getting stories with them, and the version that I am a fan of.

Well, I want all the characters I like to stay like they are in the versions I like, so I would want Bruce Wayne to stay as he's been for 70 freaking years. So, no, I wouldn't want Terrance Howard to play him. Just like I don't want Elijah Wood to play Black Panther or Angelina Jolee to play Storm.

Why can't I just enjoy the characters I've been reading/watching/hearing stories about for years? I will always, ALWAYS side with the well established character traits, unless the character is not well established or there is a very good character reason. The Doctor has no reason to switch gender, in fact basically no character does.

I love a lot of diverse characters. To use the superhero example again, I'd say at least half of my favorite heroes are female heroes, and I like a lot of different characters. Heck, for a specific example I like Cassandra Cain (Batgirl/Black Bat) more than I like Batman. I just don't support changing characters I enjoy because someone wants the name recognition on a new character.

Yes.

Its simple, if a character I like is black, or white, or a guy, or a woman, etc., I never support changing them. I became a fan of them because of what they are, and I have no desire to see them changed.

Because Tom baker wouldn't have been allowed to play Professor McGonagal. Because the character of The Doctor was intended to be a guy long before NuWho established gender swapping Timelords (and don't give me any c%&p about it being the sixties, the 9th Doctor was also a guy in 2005, so obviously they decided a guy fit the role even when they could have cast a woman without the admittedly prejudiced attitudes of the old days).

How is it in any way similar? Male and female characters are different characters. Wonder Woman and Superman have differences connected to their gender. same with, say, Storm and Cyclops. Pretending that every character is gender neutral is stupid.

Because the color of The Doctor's skin doesn't matter. He's regenerated into many different people, who while all white were very different physically.

Well, I don't recall them saying a Timelord can be a nonhumanoid, and I imagine that regeneration has to have some limits. I doubt that a Timelord could become a nonhumanoid, they probably have to stay at least somewhat similar to the stock Timelord form, especially since they always keep timelord biology on the inside. We've already established that a Timelord can change gender, but for the Doctor it would change the character completely.

A character is everything. The things you mentioned are important, and I consider their gender to be as important. Like I keep saying, I like characters because of the way they were when I connected with them. The Doctor has many faces, but is a male character, that's how he's been and that's the character I like. Same with superheroes. If they change from the form I connected with, either physically or personality/history wise, they aren't the characters I like anymore, they're random people with the same names. In that case, I have no reason to like them, they are new characters who should have had new identities, but don't because the creators wanted to use the name to bring people in.

And they can't get that without removing the Doctor's penis because?

That's idiotic and ignores what I've said. A guy wouldn't go audition for Wonder Woman, because its not a male role. A guy would not audition for the Invisible Woman, because its a female role. Roles can be separated by gender and not be some kind of plot to keep any gender down.

16. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Though it would be a good way to test the waters, and see how viable/acceptable the idea would be.

17. Christopher

Why not one incarnation instead of one episode, though? Like I said, any actor is only going to be the Doctor for a few years at most. And if, by chance, a given performer were unpopular as the Doctor, they could be let go after a season. (Although that's never actually happened -- Colin Baker was the only Doctor ever fired from the role, and that was because he was unpopular with the head guy at the BBC rather than with audiences.) Doing it for just an episode would be a gimmick, and far too tentative to be really worthwhile.

18. Professor Zoom

Believe me, I'm not ignoring anything that you say.

When Wonder Woman or the Invisible Woman are shape changing aliens, who can change their gender, you might be onto something.

Until then: all I see is an appeal to tradition. And that's not a great argument.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Bad examples, the Panther and Storm are from Africa and their origins tie into being Black Africans. The Panther more so than Storm. Bruce Wayne's origin doesn't really have a racial component.

20. Christopher

Well, arguably it does, because Bruce is supposed to come from old money, and the first African-American billionaires have only come along in the past few decades. So a nonwhite Batman would need some aspects of his backstory changed, say, have Thomas Wayne be a self-made business success rather than the inheritor of a generations-old fortune.

Then again, the idea that the Waynes are old money is itself something that's accreted on over time; I don't think it was originally the case. So if it was changed before, it could be changed again.

And just to clarify, I'm someone who's always been okay with the notion of a black Batman. Back in the '90s, when I fantasized about creating a new Batman TV series, I couldn't think of a more ideal candidate for Batman than Michael Dorn.