Firefly first-time/rewatch (NO SPOILERS, please)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by lurok, Nov 11, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Firefly first-time/rewatch

I think we need to restart this thread with "spoiler free" in the title and begin it with a review. It was intended as a first time thread primarily. It's pretty much fucked as far as that goes now.

2. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep.

3. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I agree. Starting with the review keeps people on track so there are no side discussions.

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea

OK. Who broke my thread?

5. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Let's see if we can restart THIS thread but with the caution of "No spoilers, please", since that's essentially the original intent. There is always the spoiler coding to mask revealing statements, if it absolutely has to be said. In the meantime, I will edit the title to add the "No spoiler" proviso.

6. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    EP1 - SERENITY
    Which is also the title of the post-series feature film. Confusing. In fact, a whole ball of confusion. We're thrown into the middle of a war. Why? Who? Where? Throw us a frakking bone, Whedon. Once that clears, it's Stars Wars/Western/Blade Runner pan-Asian mashup and tbh, there's not much of a plot. More like looong character setups. Can't say enamoured of any of them yet really, though Fillion has potential and Baldwin's character would be 100 times better if played by Ron Perlman.

But these two make me very happy. [​IMG]
    I suspect one or both of them has a secret.

Verdict: meh. OK. Curious how it develops. Better get funnier.

7. Spock/Uhura Fan

There actually isn't, at least not for me. And I frankly think it doesn't make any sense. Spoiler tags should be usable by anyone with an account here, regardless. This is because, as you and others have pointed out, they are not for the benefit of the person using them, but for everyone else.

So, why I have to be given the "privilege" of using them sometime down the line is beyond me because my use of them wouldn't actually benefit me. They are a kindness used for the benefit of others. I've wondered about this for some time, but I didn't want to say anything to rock the boat about how things are done here. I am sorry if I offend.

No matter, though. I just won't post anything spoilery or that would fit best under spoiler tags.

Thanks for helping with the title. :)

8. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I am a bit puzzled about what you're saying, because there is no "privilege" involved. The intent of the discussion in this thread is to avoid spoilers. However, if something a person would like to say is spoilery, there is always the spoiler tag feature that allows posting it without causing problems for others.

If there is anything else you'd like to talk about regarding how the matter, please feel free to PM me.

9. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I never expect a whole ton of backstory in a pilot. The point was to get the cast together, have a little adventure, and make way for the rest of the series. It probably could have been longer, but people have already "complained" in this thread about the length.

The shots of the war establish where Mal and Zoe were before the ship came along. We meet the others as they board the ship and prepare for their trip to (wherever it was).

I like Adam Baldwin. Ron Perlman, enh.

Fox programming folks thought the pilot moved too slow. Not enough action. So (on Thursday or Friday) they ordered a new script to be delivered the following Monday. Episode 2: The Train Job, first to be aired.

10. Spock/Uhura Fan

I'll PM you to explain because I wasn't saying that posting on the thread was a "privilege," I was specifically talking about having access to spoiler tags since you recommended using them. The last time I tried using the bb coding for spoiler tags they didn't work, and there is no option for spoiler tags in my menu.

Thanks.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

When you "go advanced" while creating a post, the spoiler option is the smiley with an x for a mouth on the far right of the row of tools above the text window.

12. Spock/Uhura Fan

^Thanks, but it doesn't work for me. I tried using it again today to see if there's any change, and nope. I've PM'd the mod about it, screencaps included. I believe he/she's working on it. And also, the plain old bb coding should just work for it anyway unless it's somehow disabled. I'm waiting for a response to see what's up. I just figured that using spoilers didn't work because I hadn't earned them yet, or whatever, but it's looking like maybe it's a glitch of sorts. :confused:

----

So as not to derail things. I thought the Pilot episode was okay. It has a somewhat disorienting start, but after that, it starts to move along nicely.

13. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Well....
    it seems to work fine for me.

And yes, I just type in the BBCode.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Have you tried a different computer or browser?

15. Spock/Uhura Fan

Well, since we're doing this in the thread and not via PM...

That could be because of your settings as a moderator. It doesn't work for me and I tried typing the code and using the smiley. Neither one works. I sent Neroon screencaps that show this.

I think it might be a settings issue because different groups have different settings. Is there any way for you to check?

Don't need to. I tried a different forum that uses vB software as well. Works just fine there as well as other vB forums. The only place it doesn't work is here. Again, I think it might be a settings issue.

16. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Type something in spoiler code, right here. I was to see what happens.

17. Spock/Uhura Fan

I'll do that, but I already did that with Neroon and sent him/her the pics, but if you want to see what I mean, then I'll post the pics here too and follow along with your request.

----

What I sent Neroon:

This Forum (using bbcode):

[​IMG]

Another Forum that uses vB software too (bbcode):

[​IMG]

This Forum Using The Yellow Smiley:

[​IMG]

----

And here's what happen's now if I try again using the bbcode:

Nothing happens. See.

18. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

when typing in spoiler code, it likes to have a small phrase describing the spoiler.

type in:
    [ spoiler=About this]
    text
    [ /spoiler]

Just take out the space between the bracket and the 's'. It has always worked for me, and I am not, nor have I ever been a mod.

19. Shawnster

OK, restating since we're starting over

I thought the Pilot did quite a bit to establish the necessary details of the series. Settlements on numerous worlds hosting colonists with literally nothing more than the clothes on their back (thus explaining the simplistic furniture), a defeated soldier turned smuggler, and the whole Simon/River story which is the real core of Firefly.

I don't know if I was confused by the whole Unification War opening segment. Upon rewatches it fits and makes sense. I don't remember what my initial reaction was, if I was lost or whatnot.

Spoiler about Book's reaction to the killing of the Fed at the end of the episode:

Another thought I had watching the first episode. The Reavers are supposed to be wacked-out crazies living on the edge of sanity. We'll see just how wacked-out pretty soon. The Reaver ship passes Serenity and keeps going wherever they are going. Serenity lands on the moon. Suddenly, the Reaver ship turns around and homes in on Serenity's (nearly) exact location! What are the odds and what kind of equipment would it take to do that? Talk about finding a needle in a haystack. And wacked-out lunatics were able to do it? Really seems one of those too-convenient/because the plot called for it moments.

I liked Patience as a villain or foil. Had the series continued, I'd have liked to revisit her again.

20. Shawnster

Spoiler coding does not work for me, either, apparently. I used the appropriate icon, the coding looked correct, but nothing showed up.