Ant-Man Movie

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Captain Nebula, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

Anyone have an interest in the Ant-Man movie scheduled to not show up until 2015? I was a little disappointed that they weren't in the Avengers, since they were original members in the comics. I'm curious about who they'll get to play Hank and Janet.

Any ideas?

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Do we even know Janet will be in it?

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

As a non comic book reader, I have to admit Ant-Man is the worst name ever :lol: Will he catch on with the majorty of the cinema audience which are casual movie goers? or will he become like the HULK? unable to stand alone on a movie.

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It is silly. In fact, it is exactly as silly as "Spider-Man".

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Hulk's inability to stand alone I think has more to do with limitations of the character himself. His origin story works well enough, but once you turn the focus away from Banner and start focusing on Hulk by himself, it gets harder to really explore his world in a 90 minute movie.

I had no real exposure to Ant-Man until I watched the cartoon "Earth's Mightiest Heroes," and I have to say that I think he will work just fine in the greater Marvel movie universe that they're creating. I mean, if they can make a Thor movie work, I think they can make Ant-Man work as well.

6. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

The knowledge that it's an Edgar Wright project makes me happy. So very, very happy.

7. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Except, for some, Hulk was perfectly able to carry off a stand alone movie on his own. In fact, I felt the Ang Lee entry was an ambitious, extremely well made, brilliantly directed and highly entertaining film. I certainly didn't feel any limitations in the character at all, quite the opposite in actuality. Lee created a perfect balance in the movie, between Banner's angst and straight out comic book action.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Right, but again, that was an origin story. I actually liked that movie as well.

I just think, going forward, a standalone Hulk sequel would be very difficult to pull off, and I don't know how many people actually care enough the character to want to see it. Hulk as a part of an ensemble worked great in The Avengers, and that's how I would personally prefer to see the character.

I just don't know how you would do a standalone Hulk sequel that isn't just a rehash of the original story. Banner's angst is only so interesting.

9. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

It's ironic that people would think "Ant-Man" is a dumb name, but not "Spider-Man" but I think Mirrorball Man has a point. I'm also one of those non comic book readers who has to wonder whether the general movie-going public will give a hero with that name a chance. Perhaps the difference is that spiders are thought of as a little mysterious and even scary, while ants are usually just thought of as small, annoying, and easily stepped on.

However, I am frequently surprised by what is and is not popular, so perhaps the movie-going public will go for it.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ However Batman is not silly at all because it has no hyphen.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think it's the simple fact that Batman and Spider-Man are well-known. I hear the name Spider-Man, and I don't even blink because it's a name that I've grown up with. I think a lot of people are in the same boat. Ant-Man just sounds silly because it's a name that a lot of us have never heard before. It doesn't really make sense, but it is what it is.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

To be fair, spiders are generally seen as more dangerous and sinister and, yes, even sexier than ants. You've got black widows and tarantulas and spooky webs and so on. There was the old pulp hero The Spider, "Kiss of the Spider Woman," "Spider Baby," etc. Heck, even Captain Janeway posed as "Arachnia, Queen of the Spider People."

Ants, on the other hand, are not generally seen as sexy or scary. Ants are not employed as Halloween decorations. Wednesday Addams did not have a pet ant. Nobody talks about getting entangled in "a treacherous ant-hill of intrigue." Frodo did not fight a giant ant in Mordor. Ants are conscientious worker drones, not spooky, sexy symbols of danger. Spiders are to ants as cobras are to garter snakes.

(Okay, there was "Them," but that's the exception to the rule!)

Ditto for bats, of course.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Ants are terrifying if there's lots of them. Ant-Man should be rebooted as Ant-Army.

14. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i hope the villain is Stilt-Man

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Dare I admit I thought Stilt-Man was seriously cool as a kid? I wanted those super-stilts!

16. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Not only is there interest there is a thread where discussion is on going when new info arises on the topic. It's also in the right forum.

We should start to expect more details later now that IM3 is done, Thor2 is in Post, Cap2 just began filming and GotG is rounding out it's casting.

19. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

That's true. Just ask Charlton Heston.

Seriously, I'm not familiar with the character Ant-Man. Does he have any ant-like powers? Can he lift a hundred times his own weight or something?

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Human strength while he is antsize.

He also has the full strength of a human male while hitting women almost half his size.

And he can order ants to do things.

And he's one of the 8th smartest mad scientists in the Marvel Universe.

Thing I don't get about Pym... His major protagonist, well the one he should be most worried about is a AI housed in an adamantium combat chassis in tent on the annihilation of humanity but he feels comfortable lolling about at Antman or Giantman powerlevels?

He has to have doomsday powers (Apart from founding and sheperding the Avengers... "I don't need extinction level superpowers, I just have to provide free room and board for Thor whenever he's in Manhatten.") in reserve for just in case there's ever some sort of Ultron Apocalypse?