Grimm (NBC) Season 1 Discussion *Spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, that was a good episode! I'm warming up more to Nick as the lead now, and his partner got in some good quips and didn't seem like so much of a waste of time. Also, Nick's fiance demonstrated a personality. This is the kind of writing the show needs more of.

Nana Visitor as Queen Bee was genius casting. :D I'm very happy to see that the episodes won't be limited solely to fairy tales. I'd like to see the writers just invent their own mythical characters, some of which are good and others evil and yet others just trying to stay out of trouble.

Very much liked Nick being forced to choose between his roles as cop and as Grimm. He's in a serious bind, since there's no way he could explain why he didn't shoot Melissa under those circumstances without being carted off to the looney bin.

None that I know of, which is a good thing.

"Melissa" means "honeybee" and the name is derived from a legend where a nymph named Melissa took care of the infant Zeus by feeding him honey. Which raises the slight possibility that the story was derived from Greek mythology, but the story here really doesn't relate to the myth much at all.

2. Temis the Vorta

Ratings news: Grimm continues to tic downwards.

But the combo of general failure for NBC's fall season plus lowered expectations for Fridays (even mighty CBS is doing only a tad better than Grimm) means that it's not time to panic yet.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

It would be cool if they cast Brandon Routh as some long lost brother/cousin for an episode.

4. Temis the Vorta

An evil doppleganger Grimm who is on the side of the bad critters!

5. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watching the bee episode from dvr. I'm liking the show. The lead is relaxing into the role. His partner is great and the unofficial partner is perfect--underplayed and scene-stealing doing it. And I like that they're keeping the Asian uniform cop. A nice recurring role like it should be--there's not an unlimited number of uniform cops.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Hmm. Interesting that they would create a series derived from the Grimm Fairy Tales and then deviate from it in the third episode. Not a real big deal, but there are a ton of tales to find inspiration from, not just the half dozen or so that are popularly known.

7. Temis the Vorta

Maybe they have grandiose notions about how many seasons they'll get? ;)

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, why run it into the ground in the first season. better to spread out the adaptations of known tales.

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Countdown to a producer or writer giving a remark that they have at least four seasons planned out...

Last time I heard that was "The Event" and we all know where that show is now

10. Santeria

Santeria Lieutenant Commander

You mean like this one?

11. Temis the Vorta

Interesting, but not very similar to what we saw in the episode. Might as well have just been an original story.

This show is already much better than that. It was obvious almost immediately that The Event was a huge mess.

12. Santeria

Santeria Lieutenant Commander

None of the stories so far have been that similar to the actual story except on the most shallow of surfaces.

Regardless, the point is that they are looking at the other Brothers Grimm stories despite the criticism that they weren't. Maybe, just maybe, they're more familiar with the subject material than you or RJDiogenes are.

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, that's why I asked; I figured there had to be a bee story in there somewhere. :rommie:

14. Temis the Vorta

Where'd you get the idea that was criticism? I made it perfectly clear that I'm hoping they'll do that. I don't see any reason why they need to consider themselves limited by the traditional stories, since they're changing elements all over the place anyway. The only way this show is going to improve from its currently rather mediocre level is through greater creative freedom and daring.

And that bee story you linked to has virtually nothing in common with the story we saw. It's perfectly possible that the writers didn't know or care about it as source material, since they ignored it. The other stories have had more from the source material than that. The three bears had the "momma, poppa and baby bear" element plus the idea of Goldilocks raiding the fridge and trying out the beds. The Big Bad Wolf story had the red-hoodie element.

No kidding. It could very well just be a coincidence. Anyway, given that it wasn't actually used for the show, it's surpassingly trivial.

Grimm is on the midseason schedule. Not a huge surprise, given the overall dire state of NBC's schedule.

15. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I am hoping Grimm can keep on Trekkin'! I mean truckin'! :p

16. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I forgot to post a description for "Lonelyhearts"

Episode 4 “Lonelyhearts”
    I am watching it now since I missed it last night.

17. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

last night's episode was great. so let me get this right the captin is secret bad guy in this series?

18. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks that way, but see this:

If Renard is the boss/big-bad (which I may be wrong about), then why is he protecting our hero?

19. js

js Captain Captain

Gah! How did I miss that?! I'm watching the show for Sasha Roiz and never noticed his character's name?!

Well, now we at least know what he is!

(Though obviously even before Grimm, Sasha was clearly a fox! LOL)

So nice to see him going really bad with that reaper last night! When Sasha is good, he's really good, but when he's bad, he's better! :D Sigh - I miss Sam Adama.

20. Temis the Vorta

So I guess that's it for 2011, huh? The show will probably be back for midseason, but it seems terminally stuck at a rather forgettable level of mediocrity and imiation-X-Files-ity.

It's too bad the whole series isn't about the Big Bad Wolf and his misadventures trying to fit in with normal society and occasionally stumble across other fairytale characters - good, evil and inbetween.