Albums bands might've wished they hadn't made.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by voggmo, Jul 27, 2008.

1. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

2. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

& to make the thread drift a bit, Purple of the big 3, ( Sabs,Zep & Purple were in my view the biggest & most significant progenitors of heavy rock-metal of the 70's), were alone in playing REALLY fast stuff. Fireball & Burn to be exact.

They weren't a metal band, but did have elements of it in them. That was one of em. Sabs played mostly slow. Fastest track perhaps was Never Say Die. Which was nowhere near as fast as the aforementioned Purple tracks. Zep played Communication Breakdown, but no other fast stuff.

Rats in the Cellar by Aerosmith was pretty fast, & Queens Stone Cold Crazy kinda fast, but these came out 74-75, well behind the Purps.

3. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

I forgot Alice Coopers Holy Muscle of Love. Pretty fast for that time.

4. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Who: Face Dances, It's Hard, and Endless Wire - They really should have hung it up after Keith Moon died, even moreso after John Entwistle passed away.

5. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

I know Ozzy wishes he'd never made The Ultimate Sin.

6. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

Eminence Front is a great song.

7. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ever hear the debut of Captain Beyond, which featured intitial Purple frontman Rod Evans from the days when the Purp began life as a psychedellic pop outfit? That's another early example of fast-playing hard rock. Sir Lord Baltimore from the same era also have a couple of tracks in the same vein.

8. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Just a few:

Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music
    Depeche Mode - Exciter
    Sex Pistols - The Great Rock & Roll Swindle
    Led Zeppelin - Presence
    New Order - Get Ready
    The Clash - Cut the Crap
    Garth Brooks - The Life of Chris Gaines
    Prince - Chaos & Disorder
    Moby - Animal Rights

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Grand Funk Railroad, circa Live Album and after, had a fair number of tunes that fit the "fast hard rock" category.

10. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Brooks & Dunn - Tight Rope

Every other album of theirs has songs that still get airplay or live performances, but songs from that one got dropped pretty quickly.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even the guys in the band thought so - didn't Roger once say that it's the only one on the whole album that's actually worthy of being released?

And if they ever make a CSI: London, there's your theme song. :techman:

Moving on...there was a rumor that Warrant absolutely hated Cherry Pie (the title track, anyway) but that was just one instance of the lead singer being interviewed at a really bad time and was in a shitty mood and said a bunch of things that got taken way out of context.

12. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Nickelback aren't ashamed of everything they have recorded, they should be.

13. Gaius Baltar

Gaius Baltar Commander Red Shirt

Nightwish Dark Passion Play without tarja turunen as their lead vocalist i really feel that they have lost the voice that made them unique and one of my favourite bands.

14. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally I think the live version of Staying Power (from their 1982 Milton Keynes Bowl show) totally tramples and stomps the studio version all over the dancefloor! :D

Personally, I think 5:15 would be a better choice!:)

15. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Guns 'N Roses The Spaghetti Incident.

16. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

No Todd, never heard of em. Cactus was another band I think that fond of playing fast.

I do remember a radio advert for a Deep Purple concert very late 70's. They were stopped pretty quickly, the DJ Jim Ladd warned that it wasn't the real deal. Always wondered who was behind that, some old member? Evans perhaps. Dunno.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Noel Gallagher wishes Oasis hadn't made Be Here Now, which is why it's unrepresented on their "Best Of" compilation, Stop the Clocks. Which shows what an idiot Noel Gallagher can be at times; I love that album. :)

And someone mentioned Garth Brooks' concept album as the Australian rock star, Chris Gaines. I think that strange album works well, and I've enjoyed listening to it over the years.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I remember Captain Beyond (which also included former members of Iron Butterfly) but not sure about Sir Lord Baltimore.

I was at that concert, or one of them. [The last one, as it turns out -- at the Long Beach Arena.] Someone had discovered Rod Evans working as a supervisor in a hospital in Los Angeles and put a band together to back him up, doing songs from all versions of Deep Purple, heavy on the Mark II era. Too bad Ladd didn't start warning until after they pulled the plug on the concerts.

19. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

He did warn before when the tickets were being sold. How was the show?

20. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah me too. I would have thought Standing on the Shoulders of Giants would have been a more obvious choice.