American Horror Story - Coven

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gryffindorian, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IN Entertainment Weekly? How about spoilers on the cover of EW?

As soon as the box appeared on the front stoop, I knew it was Kathy Bates' head just from seeing the cover of EW and not by reading the article inside. I'm not a super anti-spoiler person but that cover ruined a pretty great surprise ending for this week's episode, IMO.

2. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

^ So you've seen the EW issue too? ;) From what I've read, the cast members seem to have a lot of fun and camaraderie. Like when Kathy Bates interjected at the end, "Help me!" Sara Paulson and Jessica Lange burst out laughing (off-camera, of course). Or when Frances Conroy delivered, "Can you imagine those poor Salem witches, traveling all the way down here in covered wagons without a proper charcuterie platter or bidet? Absolutely savage ...", all the other witches cracked up.

Madame LaLaurie's head loss is only temporary; so is Cordelia's blindness.

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I read that article on an airplane last week. Great article but the spoiler kind of bummed me out. I should have known better.

And yes, it sounds like they all have a great time, which is what I would hope.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

In the new issue of EW, they address the "spoiler" controversy. Basically, the editors' response is that, while they were aware that it was spoiler, it was just too great a cover image to resist . . . .

5. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I figured the decapitation was temporary. She’s still alive and we’ve already seen some unlikely resuscitations. Let’s see, there’s a girl whose throat was slit and was dead for a while, a woman who was burned to a crisp, and a guy who’s been assembled from dead parts from various people. Resuscitating a decapitated but living person seems a cinch.

6. Gryffindorian

Very good episode on Wednesday. There were a lot more characterizations. Myrtle was instrumental in getting Cordelia's sight back while also getting her revenge on the Council members who condemned her. The Corporation of witch hunters got some exposure, and we learned about Hank's background.

But man, too many deaths. I hated to see Queenie get shot and sacrifice herself to save Marie Laveau's life. Even Nan's boyfriend Luke is gone too, having been murdered by his uber-religious mom for learning about her secret.

7. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Intense mid-season finale, I look forward to the January continuation. :beer:

8. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

That was very good, IMHO.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they bring it all together.

Myrtle scooping their eyes out was pretty awesome.

:lol:

9. Gryffindorian

Wednesday night's episode was one of this season's best. I liked the chemistry between Fiona and Marie Laveau's characters; they make a pretty good team, an unholy alliance. :) It's too bad that they killed Nan at the end (the bathroom drowning scene with Papa Legba was hilarious), but Nan was one of weakest links on the show anyway. I just felt they could've written a better death for her.

Stevie Nicks still looks hot for her age, though I've never been a fan of her music. Is Misty dead or just unconscious? How does she get out of that tomb? And I wonder what's going to happen to Madam LaLaurie.

10. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

^ When Misty wakes up, she's gonna be REALLY pissed. We'll see if she's truly Supreme Heir apparent then. Getting a little sick of Fiona completely trashing her daughter episode after episode.

Good episode and love this show. Must see viewing in our house.

Q2

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Witches can't drown.

Of course traditionally that means that they float, but on Eastwick the TV series, which is of course a different lore, but the ginger girl fell asleep in the bath tub, slipped under the surface and forgot to drown.

12. Apple Goblin

Apple Goblin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Wow, I've never seen so many sociopaths in one show.

I am glad that Papa Legba pointed out that Fiona doesn't have a soul...I was afraid the show would attempt to 'humanize' her, which would have been a cop out.

Cordelia's regression is also interesting - she's regained her sight and lost her confidence.

Thankfully Violet wasn't in the episode that much, but it was kind of disgusting to hear her and Nan pretending they were much better than Madison. Sorry, Violet, but you lost credibility after you stabbed that Butler. Nan exposes her sociopathy in this episode, just more proof that the self-proclaimed 'good' guys are often the most dangerous. Granted, the mother had it coming, but the manner of death Nan chose...utterly sadistic.

What Madison did to Misty is fucking unforgivable and I hope Misty ravages that nasty, spoiled little sociopath. Smash her fucking head in with a brick PLEASE.

Marie Laveau stole the show. She seems to me to be the most powerful witch in the entire show, woman is a walking fire tank.

13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am smiling because I suspect that season 4 will have HITLER'S BRAIN as a recurring character.

15. Gryffindorian

16. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

If her character has a german accent she has to be a relatively recent german immigrant or a german living in the states for some reason ... mmhh, I hope it's no nazi stuff, they already did that in Asylum. Maybe it's cold war related, she could be an east german communist.

I also hope she does a realistic german accent and not one those over the top ones, that's too easy, everyone can fake cliched over the top accents with very little effort.

You posted old news, didn't bother writing a single word and obviously didn't even read the last two posts above yours. Great post, would read again.:p

17. Apple Goblin

Apple Goblin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

If Zoe turns out to be the next Supreme, I will kill myself and everyone I hold dear.

I mean really? Does that fucking sociopath deserve anything other than the shit on her shoe?

First she pulls a Willow Rosenberg by defying the most sacred laws of reality by sloppily resurrecting a dismember guy from DIFFERENT body parts. She's either incredibly thick, or she's a nut-job. Motive for this cosmic violation? Teenage hormones.

Also, killing that Butler doesn't make you a 'champion' Zoe, it just means you're as unscrupulous and violent as Madison, Fiona and every other witch in that ridiculous coven. I actually can see why the witch hunters want them dead - they are fucking dangerous, monstrous beings.

Actually, come to think of it, who isn't a sociopath on this show? Cordelia and Myrtle are the only ones in the coven I wouldn't get a restraining order against, but Myrtle seems to have lost the plot, and Cordelia is too weak-willed. Still, I guess they are non-sociopaths. The closest I can think of to a proper, normal person was Luke next door, and he's chewing coffin dust six feet down under now. Plus he was boring.

Coven is a fucking MESS, from a narrative point of view, and this is made more apparent as it nears its end. Still pretty entertaining though, maybe even because of said flaw, and definitely the best season thus far.

18. Gryffindorian

^ I have to disagree. Just because you have evil, unsavory characters on the show doesn't necessarily make it messy. If anything, Jessica Lange continues to dazzle us with her performance, in addition to other great cast members like Frances Conroy, Kathy Bates, and Angela Bassett. However, I can see certain characters like Zoe, Cordelia, and Nan are poorly written because they lack a certain chutzpah. The cast and producers did acknowledge that this season was more female-oriented, focusing on such issues as racism, injustice, and power.

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I couldn't stop laughing when Delphine served the witches Madison's shit in their soup. That was so frakking gross but so funny. And Myrtle thinking that the soup was delicious really had me roaring. Damn, this show is so perverse.

20. Gryffindorian

Sounds like a scene from The Help.