Star Wars: AOTC Question

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JediKnightButler, May 11, 2013.

1. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got to thinking about AOTC the other day and was wondering about all of the great new military hardware that the Republic suddenly had in its possession and where it came from? We all know about the Clones, of course, but who built all of the cruisers, gunships, walkers, etc. that they suddenly had at their disposal to use during that opening battle on Geonosis and why did nobody ever question where all THAT came from? The clones were an incredibly well-kept secret until Obi-Wan showed up (for reasons that we learn as the movie progresses) but who in the world also managed to equip them immediately with such a massive military force and how did they keep THAT a secret from the Republic for years, if not decades? Was Palpatine already building all of this military hardware secretly for last 10 years? The Senate hadn't even voted to approve the creation of the Grand Army of the Republic until AOTC but there's obviously no way that Palpatine would have been able to build fleets of cruisers and everything else immediately to fight the Separatists on Geonosis. Any explanation provided by sources- EU or otherwise? I'm confused.:confused:

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wondered the same thing.

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

4. CorporalCaptain

Ah, so according to the EU, the Clone Troopers came with all their own accessories. Makes sense, I guess.

5. JediKnightButler

I guess that link explains that. Still wonder why nobody ever questioned the sudden existence of so much weaponry and/or how that could all be moved into place so fast following the revelation of the Clone Army and the battle of Geonosis but it was an emergency and the start of a major war, so..............

6. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

....so it was bad writing. Just one more plot point that made the prequels Jedi appear to be biggest dumbasses in the universe.

7. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

What a bunch of malarkey, accessories are always sold separately.

8. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I think the Jedi thought that Master Sifo-Dyas had ordered everything, because he had foreseen the coming war. (Though how Sifo-Dyas ostensibly afforded it, I don't know. Maybe he had really good credit.) It was only near the end of the war that the Jedi started to get more suspicious. (Which is admittedly a little silly.)

The public was probably just told that Palpatine was a super-prepared Chancellor, and willing to accept it if the alternative was being overrun by the Confederacy.

9. CorporalCaptain

;)

10. JediKnightButler

Hahahahahahahahahaha!:rommie:

11. Set Harth

Also known as "people placed in a no-win situation by an intelligent opponent". This universe... it permits no middle ground, does it? It's outcome-fixated to the exclusion of all else. It's a pushy parent. You either win, or you're the universe's biggest dumbass and shouldn't even have bothered to show up in the first place. Win or else.

12. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

And batteries are NOT included.

13. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's just say that the whole Sifo-Dyas subplot was not very carefully thought out.

14. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Considering it was once the oh-so-subtle Sido-Dyas subplot ... I tend to agree ...

15. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

So what would have happened if Obi-wan did not find Kamino or Jango did not try to kill Padme? Would Dooku's forces just attack the army-less republic? I wonder if there was a plan to introduce the Clones to the republic other than Obi-wan just discovering them.

16. Set Harth

Presumably the Kaminoans would have tried to contact the Republic at some point.

17. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you underestimate Palpatine. He's very good at planning.