Am I the only one who loves SGU?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by samalex, Feb 24, 2012.

1. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Because, like it or not, Rush was an asset.

:)

2. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

And also because he was partnered with Wray, the resident humanitarian and de facto civilian representative.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Because for most people, it's not okay to murder someone, no matter how much you don't like them.

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

But Young didn't murder Rush, it was Rush though who framed Young for murder few people knew that part though.

5. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it was because the civilians (correctly IMO) thought they should be in charge since they were the ones actually trying to understand, maintain, and take control of the ship they were stuck on, while the military dudes pretty much did nothing except when they stumbled upon a planet. Then the military executed a stupid plan to get them home that nearly blew up the goddamn ship, Col. Young had his bunch of cronies do everything on the ship, and Young left Rush on planet under suspicious circumstances, so it's not surprising that they mutinied.

Of course, the writers ignored the fact that they had people on both the military and civilian side unite in their distrust of their leaders, so the whole black and white, civilian vs military thing didn't really make sense. Especially when Lt. James probably had grounds for relieving Col. Young of command for cutting her completely out of the chain of command.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Young abandoned Rush on a planet a bagillion lightyears away from anyone or anything that could save him. Young left him there to die. It's only by some freak coincidence that Rush was "rescued" by the aliens. So yes, while Rush may not have actually died, Young intended to murder him.

7. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Also, when Young found out Rush was aboard the Nakai vessel he ordered it destroyed as quickly and as recklessly as possible, even though Chloe was still aboard. He was trying to cover his tracks.

8. bullethead

Just curious, where did that name for the Blue Fish Group come from?

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I thought we had settled on Sombreroid? Or rather I had and was forcing it on everyone else.

10. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

The producers I think, probably Mallozzi.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

A freak coincidence? The aliens had been tracking the ship since the start of the series and the hatch of the ship the helped saved Rush was what he was examining prior to being left there. In the end leaving Rush on the planet worked out for the best, he would later save Chloe and the fact the had framed Young was quietly swept under the rug. Leaving Rush there was a cliffhanger they never would've done the other two series and it was a given that Rush wasn't going to die on that planet, he's just too important to the series for them to allow that to happen.

12. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

The ship on the planet was the same Nakai one that we saw leave Destiny in the pilot I believe.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

:wtf:

But nobody could have known any of that! When Young left Rush on the planet, he planned for Rush to die there. It doesn't matter that it was a cliffhanger or that Chloe would later be captured by aliens. I'm talking about what Young intended to do at the time he abandoned Rush to die.

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I guess Young could factually prove that Rush framed him for a murder that was in reality a suicide, but Young is in charge and it's not a democracy. I can't really imagine Shep or O'Neill not doing the same thing. And if Rush had obeyed orders from the start none of them would've been on Destiny to begin with. :shrug:

15. bullethead

Based on Stargate physics seen in both SG-1 and SGU, there's a decent chance that they wouldn't be alive if Rush hadn't dialed the 9th chevron.

16. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

We don't know that and in any event it was Eli dialed Destiny not Rush, there's no proof they'd alll be dead if they have dialed earth instead of Destiny.

17. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Yeah, Young is in charge and it's not a democracy - because Young says so. He basically set up a military dictatorship. It's no wonder there was a mutiny.

18. The Wormhole

Young was the commanding officer of Icarus Base and that was no more a democracy than any other military base. Even though Icarus was destroyed and everyone ended up stranded on the ass end of the universe, Young is still the commanding officer, and everyone was still required to obey him as they would on Icarus. And the civilians were always well treated by Young and the military personnel. In fact, Young publically beat the shit out of one his men for picking on a civilian. There was no grounds for a mutiny.

19. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Says who? The US military has no jurisdiction on Destiny, something even Young later began to allude to himself.

He stranded one of them on an alien planet and left him there to die, lied about it, then tried to cover his tracks in such a way that would have killed Chloe too.

20. The Wormhole

Icarus was a US military base, and Young its commanding officer. Though the base is destroyed, and everyone has relocated to a starship, it's mostly the same people there and Young was still their commander. And thanks to the stones, they remained in contact with Earth, General O'Neill and the IOA and no one ever rescinded Young's authority. Except for the episode Earth, but even then, they replaced him with another military officer who stone-swapped in (Telford).