Ashes of Eden before Return?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by dispatcher812, Jan 7, 2013.

1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I thought that it was in continuity with the rest of William Shatner's books, since even though Kirk and Spock are in it and are working on the same thing, I don't remember them actually meeting, or if they did it was very informal and was brushed off as something that didn't matter, leaving open the first meeting as Shatner described in the first Totality book.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, the Tarsus IV flashbacks were incompatible with the ones in Avenger - one version has Kirk protecting young Kevin Riley during the massacre, in the other he's alone. I think Kirk's a few years older in CC's version too.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hovercars have been an established part of the Trek universe since they were seen on Vulcan in "Yesteryear." VGR: "The 37s" established that they were in use on Earth since the 2030s. Hovercars were seen outside Archer's apartment window in "Shockwave." Ben Sisko's biological mother died in a hovercraft accident.

4. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Given that in Avenger, all we really see is Kirk running through the woods after the massacre, and that his memories were "fudged" by a mindmeld, I never had any trouble reconciling Avenger with the flashbacks in The Lost Years. Is Collision Course that different?

5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I don't think they are.

6. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As for depictions of the first meeting between Kirk and Spock not jiving up, I'm still a fan of the TOS Starfleet Academy young adult trilogy. :)

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's deliberately quite self-contained. The hook at the end leads into the friendship we know today. We know that Kirk and Spock had many adventures together.

Strangely not quite, IIRC.

8. ProwlAlpha

ProwlAlpha Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoy the Kirk books for stupid fun. I loved the Ashes of Eden. However, the Kirk books are pretty much Kirk Rulz!!! and everyone droolz mentality. In one book, Kirk pretty much out does everyone like being more Klingon than Worf and outwitting Data.

In CC, I think it is a fine ending that theme, since Kirk does it all the while being a pre-Academy kid.

9. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved the Shatner books until Preserver when they just got weird and I couldn't handle it anymore. Shame too, because the mirror universe novels started interesting.

I read The Return before Ashes and it is still one of my favorite Trek books; I don't think I was lost by starting in the middle either. But Ashes does need to be read before Avenger. I loved the starship Monitor in the book, especially when it flew inside a Romulan Warbird and blew it apart from the inside.

So there is a comic version of Ashes? Who made it?

10. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Yes, indeed, to both your thoughts.

I have no problem with the 'Shatner Rulz' series, nor his CC for exactly the reasoning above...they are fun. I would like to have seen the Academy book continue just to see the completed path.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think they are. Or rather, I remember reading CC and thinking, this is definitely incompatible with Avenger, but I don't recall specifics beyond what I said above - and there's always the possibility I'm misremembering since I read them 4 years ago (although I don't think so)

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

13. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Yeah, that was cool!

I really liked The Ashes Of Eden, gave Kirk and company one last big "hurrah" before his "death" in STG.
    The Return: Michael Bay doing Star Trek, enough said. (All the action), but it was still a good and interesting read.
    Avenger: A more character-driven entry that dealt with chemical warfare. Of course, it still had a lot of hero worship, but it was enjoyable.
    Spectre: One of the best of the ShatVerse novels. The Mirror Voyager infiltrating this universe was a clever plot device.
    Dark Victory was pretty meh; it felt more like an overlong prologue to Preserver. Now, Preserver wasn't too bad, but I did find Tiberius' change at heart to be a little ridiculous. After hearing about how much of a butcher he was, it seemed uncharacteristic.

I've not read Captain's Peril yet and I barely remember Blood or Glory, though I don't think I really enjoyed either of them.