Things about Star Trek you just found out

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by hxclespaulplayer, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While it's not something I *just* found out...I didn't know the Enterprise's viewscreen was 3-D (depth wise, not as in 'project out of the screen) until I saw "The Defector"

2. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

One of the Cardassians in Profit and Loss was played by the same actress as Susan from Seinfeld.
    [​IMG]

3. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

It's a VFX thing but the Excelsior class you can see get disabled by a giant Dominion disruptor beam at the very start of one of the acts of What You Leave Behind (just before the Defiant appears chasing a random Jem Hadar bug ) is a re-use of a background element from "Tears of the Prophets" where the same thing happens.

Last thing I needed to know about that battle was that it had even MORE re-used footage than I realised! :(

4. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    That's... amazing. Now THAT is what I call "TOS: Remastered". :D

Thanks, Greg. Now I know !

Well they do kinda explain the coincidences as the timeline trying to repair itself somewhat, which makes sense from a narrative point of view if not a logical point of view. Unfortunately the line was cut from the movie, and we're left with "how did you find me ?" and "fascinating" from Spock.

Yeah, Malachi Throne. What an awesome name.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I just found out that Doctor McCoy keeps ...

... some dead Tribbles ...
    ... around just in case they might come in handy.

:)

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Similarly, ST:TMP's Rhaandarite bridge ensign, Billy Van Zandt, played a cadet in "TAPS". All the cadets were sitting around a TV set watching "Spock's Brain" and Billy's character, Bug, knows what's going to happen... because he's seen all the episodes before. It was a coincidence that the scene was in the script but his Trek connection added a layer of meaning to the scene as it was shot.

A few years later, Billy was playing a wacky character in TV's "Anything But Love" who, in one episode, turns up to work in a magazine production office brandishing a phaser, which he's just bought from a Star Trek convention downstairs.

A few more years later, Billy Van Zandt's wife, Adrienne Barbeau became the second Senator Cretak in DS9!

7. J.A. Morris

J.A. Morris Ensign Newbie

This is somewhat embarrassing for someone who's been a fan going back to the 70s (I even have 2 Okuda books) to admit, but:

I never realized until a few months back that two actresses who played Catwoman (Newmar & Meriweather, of course) appeared on TOS. I knew Yvonne Craig's connection to TOS & Batman, never realized the other two guest starred. And I was a big fan of the Batman show too.

8. Belz...

MMmmm... Lee Meriweather...

9. Therin of Andor

Do you remember Grace Lee Whitney as King Tut's moll? Hilarious!

Not to mention Colonel Gumm (Roger C Carmel/Harry Mudd).

Frank Gorshin's Riddler (Commissioner Bele).

And Malachi Throne as... False... Face!

10. J.A. Morris

J.A. Morris Ensign Newbie

I knew about Gorshin, didn't know about Whitney and Carmel!

11. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started a thread exactly like this last night, not realizing this one existed. :vulcan:

I'll repost mine.

After watching an episode of the original series, I noticed one of the producers of the show was Edward K. Milkis -- who went on to be part of the production team of Miller Boyett. They were later responsible for such shows as Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy, and most of those TGIF series my generation grew up with on ABC throughout the 90s.

12. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't it that Brent Spiner is left handed? I don't recall TNG ever addressing Data being left handed, and in fact given his android abilities it would be illogical for him to be anything other than ambidextrous.

All the drones on the Borg vessel, but not across the entire continuum.

13. Therin of Andor

14. Belz...

Purrrrrfect.

15. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Wow, that one's new to me:techman:

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think one of the episodes when he was playing Sherlock he mentioned being left handed. But I just always figured that was him playing a character.

18. Statja Q'bel

Statja Q'bel Ensign Red Shirt

One thing that I have known for a little while is the origin of the Vulcan Salute: Leonard Nimoy created the famous Vulcan salute based on a blessing performed by Jewish Kohanim, representing the Hebrew letter Shin (ש), similar to the position of the thumb and fingers in the salute.

The accompanying spoken blessing is "Live long and prosper." The lesser-known reply is "Peace and long life." This is similar to a common Hebrew greeting, Shalom aleichem, meaning "peace be upon you", and its reply, "upon you be peace" (aliekhem shalom).

Being Jewish, and totally into Star Trek, I thought this was pretty cool. I think my next tattoo might be the image in the link below, but with "Live Long and Prosper" underneath it, in Vulcan. *Yes, I am a reform Jew with a different view on tattoos, and have several (including a a Jew-punk star of David)*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_salute

19. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Holy Crap! I had one of those as a little kid around 1970. I think the shape was just an inspiration. It was too long and too narrow. And made out of squishy plastic.

20. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If you click on the link they show how the box was used to form the bucks which then the kydex was used to fashion the comm body.