I need a new fantasy series to read

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kelthaz, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I think some kind of objective benchmark in giving recommendations is usually more helpful than everybody listing their favorite fantasy series, regardless of how different it is from what the requester likes. Not that there's anything wrong with the latter; you never know what will catch whose eye.

The Lynch series certainly might appeal; it's basically caper stories in a fantasy world, gritty and laced with humor that's not unlike Martin's. It's not as concerned with depth of character or theme, at least not so far. Some of that may be entering the picture in the third book, but that's at least five years behind schedule, and with four more to follow at God knows what pace, it may not be worth picking up right now. The books are comparatively standalone, though.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I read the OP's spoiler notes about what he liked and what he didn't like. So my recommendation...

Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles or Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles. Both are serious attempts at retelling the Arthurian mythos in the historical context. Not a lot of magic, but serious worldbuilding and characterization.

Also, Harry Harrison and Tom Shippey's The Hammer and the Cross, an alternate history of the Viking Age. I'm not as sold on the next two books in the trilogy, but I think the first is great.

Best. Fantasy. Ever. :)

3. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to recommend the writings of Micheal Moorcock. Particularly the Elric Saga, The Hawkmoon Runestaff Saga, and Corum.

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

If we're recommending old classics, I think everyone should read Robert Howard's Conan stories. Still some of the best fantasy tales ever written, in my opinion, and I'm always surprised that so many fantasy fans are unfamiliar with them.

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    The Elric series by Michael Moorcock is great fun. Ninja'd by Davros. The Amber saga by Roger Zelazny is another great read, particularly the first series which features Corwin.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Absolutely. I just finished the Audio Books a couple months back and loved them all, including the Merlin Cycle

7. Bigjoe

Bigjoe Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TerryBrooks Shanara trilogy.

8. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

9. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I enjoyed the Merlin cycle much more the second time through after I'd put the books aside. The tonal difference from the Corwin cycle had not been very enjoyable when I first read it. The second time through was a lot more satisfying. I wish Zelazny' had had the chance to continue the Amber series from where it ended with Merlin.

10. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do love A Song of Ice & Fire for the complex three dimensional characters and political intrigue, but the gritty realism thing, uh, not really a fan. It works well in this series, but it's an exception to what I normally enjoy. Reading about seriously flawed heroes who live in a Crapsack World just isn't my idea of fun. It's exhausting. I appreciate the suggestions, but the ones I've looked into come across as too dreary for me. You can be serious without losing your sense of fun, whimsy, and adventure. Ideally what I want is something with the characters and tone of Discworld with the storytelling of A Song of Ice & Fire. Basically Buffy or Xena or even Babylon 5 in novel form.

I'm leaning towards checking out Tigana based upon this review of it. It also has a high rating on Amazon, so it seems like a safe bet.

11. Kelthaz

I've been looking into this series tonight and it looks incredible. Something fun and uplifting with some darker themes hidden throughout to give the series some depth. Yeah, I'll definitely be checking this out.

12. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I much prefer contemporary fantasy. Bob put me on to Mike Carey's Felix Castor books which, although not as well-crafted as Ben Aaronovitch nor as much fun as Jim Butcher's Dresden, are a good read and get better as they go along.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Have you read the three Babylon 5 Trilogies? They're excellent

Technomage Trilogy
    Centauri Trilogy
    PsiCorps Triloy

The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny was suggested, and it's not dreary/gritty at all, just fun Fantasy and Royl Family Political machinations

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you like contemporary fantasy Kelthaz? If so The Dresden Files, Rachel Morgan, and Kate Daniels series all have a lot of humor in them.

15. Kelthaz

Generally no, but I'm not opposed to trying something different. Storm Front does look interesting. I'm not sure if I would like it, but books are cheap.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Can I plug The Six-Gun Tarot by R.S. Belcher again? I just signed up the sequel, so I guess it officially counts as a series now. :)

17. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Is that the same Ben Aaronovitch who wrote a couple Doctor Who stories in the late-1980s? What did he write? (I might give him a look, since "Remembrance of the Daleks" & "Battlefield" were the only two Sylvester McCoy stories that were really worth a damn.)