Last Classic Who Story you watched

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

^
    That's debatable too, IMO.

Mary Tamm's Romana is / was a vastly superior character to Ward's. But to each their own.

Watched Day of the Daleks last night. More Pertwee goodness (loved him dealing with a guerrilla without spilling a drop of the wine he was holding, then proceeding to drink said wine as though nothing had happened), but this serial isn't exactly a high point of his tenure and it was interesting to learn that (apparently) neither he nor Katy Manning thought much of it. The new Dalek voices and sound effects didn't do much for me. The Brigadier was in superb form but aside from that and Pertwee's usual brilliance, this wasn't quite as good as I'd remembered it.

2. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

After thinking I wouldn't watch another classic Who story for a while I find myself being drawn to the Pertwee era, and so am three episodes into The Ambassadors of Death (in full unrestored colour-and-black-and-white goodness).

Enjoying it so far. Been 20 years since I last watched it.

3. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started in on The Deadly Assassin again last night, it's been a long time since I watched it.

I forgot all about the out of place Star Wars scroll at the beginning with Tom's voice over about Gallifrey.

4. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I generally prefer Mary Tamm to Lalla Ward. Ward had her moments, particularly in "City of Death" & "The Horns of Nimon." And I love Ward wearing a pink version of the Doctor's costume in "Destiny of the Daleks." But overall, I much prefer Tamm's snotty, imperious interpretation of the character. She did a much better job of taking the piss out of the Doctor, which created a lot more character conflict.

Katy Manning is just hoping that you won't watch it and therefore won't notice the parts where you can see up her skirt!;)

I'm currently making my way through "The War Games" again. I think I left off around Part 6. This story gets better each time I see it (other than some of the dodgy Southern accents in the American Civil War zone). While it is very long, it's also pretty well paced and has a nice build up as it keeps dropping hints about the origins of the Doctor & the War Chief. And Lt. Carstairs & Lady Jennifer are great one-off companions. Plus, I love the way that the Doctor keeps bluffing his way into assisting the alien scientist, even after the War Chief already exposed him once.:techman:

5. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Knowing that today would be slow (less than 1/2 of my co-workers made it in today), I loaded up my Nook with episodes of classic Who, and watched one episode from each Doctor.

1 - The Gunfighters, part 1
    2 & 3 - The Three Doctors, parts 1 and 2
    4 - The Sontaran Experiment (both parts)
    5 - Black Orchid (both parts)
    6 - Twin Dilemma, part 1
    7 - Silver Nemesis, part 1

It's been a sort of marvelous day, I think. :)

6. Pindar

Nice, I have one day left then 10 days off for Christmas. I see lots of Who watching on the horizon.

7. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Yeah, that's one of my favourite scenes. I also appreciate the Doctor's casual disregard concerning personal property in this one.

Oh, I was thinking about rewatching this recently, this time on DVD because I also remembered it as being quite good. I believe I read somewhere that Jon and Katy didn't like it because of the underwhelming number of enemies during the assault and thought it was silly for that reason.

Interesting. I wouldn't call it well paced at all, at least when looking at all of it. Some of the plot struck me as needlessly repetitive and I think it would benefit greatly from being two episodes shorter. I did love the Timelords part of the story.

I've also felt like rewatching some Pertwee era serials. I watched The Three Doctors and really enjoyed it despite the somewhat silly and shallow storyline for the banter between the Doctors, especially Two and Three, and the Brig, the quirky supporting characters, the various 'people discover the inside of the Tardis' scenes and lots of memorable lines.

Right now, I'm watching The Mind of Evil and so far, it's as good as I remembered. This one has some of my favourite Third Doctor scenes and I just love the interaction between him and the Master.

8. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

"The Chase." Loved it. Hartnell is underrated.

9. Count Zero

In enjoyed that one a lot, too. A chase through time and space is a pretty cool story idea and I loved the different places they went to. The appearance of the Beatles on the Doctor's TV thing was a nice treat for me as a fan.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  10. Pindar

Not by me. I love the Hartnell era.

11. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

For Christmas I got "The Awakening" and "Ghost Light." I haven't seen "The Awakening" in over a decade so I'm excited to see it again, especially since it features my favorite Doctor.

12. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agree about Hartnell but for me The Chase is one of his worst stories - only episode 6 works well.

13. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Yeah, I read somewhere that Jon Pertwee thought an attack by two Daleks was pretty ridiculous, but I seem to recall they weren't impressed with it in general. I may well be thinking of something else, though.

Hartnell is very much underrated. There are some...err...ordinary serials in his era but his Doctor (along with many of his companions) is brilliant, IMO.

14. sidious618

So I watched The Awakening and found it to be quite similar to Moffat's Who in its tone.

15. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Listened again to Marco Polo - one of the greatest Who stories.

Had a bad cold over Christmas and was in a lot so managed to watch quite a few Davison's with the commentary on - Davison and Fielding make a great team, very funny.

16. Count Zero

I watched The Horror of Fang Rock last night which I had started weeks ago but then got distracted away from. While the story itself didn't really grab me I enjoyed the quirky and interesting minor characters, Leela's and the Doctor's interactions and also Tom Baker's antics. It's quite the contrast to Pertwee's Doctor but I like the craziness. I especially enjoyed the few scenes where Leela reminded him that he was a Timelord and that therefore he'd make short work of the enemy. That he had to be reminded of his power and skills and see the trust others have in him was a nice touch.

17. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I finished Warrior's Gate just this morning, it's a great but sad story as it's the lst Romana story and it heralds the end of the Tom Baker era.

18. sidious618

That episode has some awesome, darker moments for the Doctor such as when he gleefully announces that they're probably all going to die. :lol:

19. Count Zero

Yeah, that made me laugh.

20. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

The Daleks.