New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Booji, May 20, 2013.

1. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Ooh, Greg Weisman's one of the executive producers! Let's hope for once he gets to finish a series. And Dave Filoni's onboard, which hopefully will provide some continuity with TCW. Maybe he'll get to resurrect/rework some storylines that were planned for TCW before its cancellation.

If it's about the rise of the Rebel Alliance, I hope that Bail Organa will be a major character and we'll get to see him raising Leia. I've always been curious about the Organas' backstory.

3. TV's Frank

TV's Frank Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed with Christopher... I really like that Filoni is involved and could possibly carry over some ideas and characters from TCW to the new series. It would be great to see where some of those aspects of TCW might wind-up in a post-SITH series.

4. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

The Clone Wars was a lot of fun, so I am looking forward to this a great deal. I agree that having Filoni on board is a Good Thing(tm).

5. Christopher

Well, I think having Greg Weisman on board is a much better thing -- as long as his cancellation curse doesn't follow him here.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Really excited for this as well. And yeah, even though I was no fan of the prequels, I wouldn't mind following up on characters like Ashoka or some of the other events of TCW. Although I hope if Vader is the main villain (and it's almost certain he would be), they don't make him TOO much of an anguished, tragic figure who's constantly grieving over Padme. I want to see him be a dark, scary badass again, dammit.

And while I'm sure they'll deviate from the TCW marionette look, I really hope they keep the animation CG as well. I'd love to see the same gorgoeous CG work done on the ships and worlds of the OT as we saw in the PT.

7. Mysterion

Not familiar with his work. What of his should I be on the look-out for?

8. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

So I guess this means the live-action series set between III and IV is now the animated series? right?

9. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mysterion asked:
    "Not familiar with his work. What of his should I be on the look-out for?"

Gargoyles.
    Though what merchandising there was tended to be all kiddified (and it was aimed at a younger audience, like most animateds then and now), it was an early example of building a long-range, large-scale epic storyline in nominally children's animation at a level adults could appreciate. I would argue that what Babylon 5 did for live-action sftv, Gargoyles did or attempted to do for animated fantasy.

10. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if this will use some of those Star Wars TV series scripts if the TV series(live-action) is dead?

I really hope to see Ahsoka appear in this Rebels show.

11. Christopher

Gargoyles is Greg Weisman's masterwork, but he was also behind The Spectacular Spider-Man (which, despite an overly cartoony design style, was a much smarter and better show than the Ultimate Spider-Man that replaced it) and the superb, just-cancelled Young Justice on Cartoon Network.

12. Mysterion

Thanks to FredH and Christopher both. Will take a look at those.

13. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I'm really curious what kind of time jump, if any, we'll get between Revenge of the Sith and Rebels. Since Filoni seems to be ecstatic over using more Ep IV based designs, I'm guessing we'll get about a 10 year jump. The Empire will have a chokehold (no pun intended) on the galaxy and the Rebels just starting to be pains in their collective asses. A 10 year jump would also makes things interesting if they bring back Ahsoka, which I'm sure they'll do. An Ahsoka vs Vader duel has to be in the cards down the road for this series.

14. Mysterion

Yeah, that needs to happen. Definitely.

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I don't know - they were pretty adamant that The Emperor, Vader and The Jedi would not feature in the live action show but be background characters acting off screen. The show was to be about ground level characters and this doesn't sound like the plan for Rebels.

I suppose there is a small chance the two shows could co-exist, but I'd say it is likely that the live action show is dead and so are the scripts.

And I am more interested in seeing if Ashoka and Ventress appear in the new trilogy...

16. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vader should not be the main villain but also, he should not be ignored. Would love to see him in holograms, etc.
    Well actually, this is quite fantastic news and helps the sting of losing TCW. Feeling optimistic about this... and I have a feeling I'll like it better than Underworld because really, we got a lot of bounty hunter stuff in TCW.

17. Christopher

But look at how many different kinds of stories and subject matters The Clone Wars tackled. If Rebels is anywhere near as broad in focus, it could incorporate stories and ideas from the Underworld series on occasion.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm, come to think of it, I almost wish the planned new movies were focusing on THIS period instead of the post-Jedi period. Getting more live-action stuff with Vader and the early days of the Rebellion would have been awesome.

19. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Vader will be the main villain. XD skews even younger than Cartoon Network. I'm sure we'll see plenty of additional villains, though.

20. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

This makes me want to see this Rebels show now. I really didn't care for the Clone Wars, but maybe with this guy involved and a new owner of the franchise, something like this could be good. That said, I hope it isn't just a continuation of TCW. Don't have Anakin's kid sidekick on the show, or treat vader like a whiny wimp like the prequels did. This could be good, and hopefully it will be its own show, not TCW: Part 2.