Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Sep 7, 2012.

?

How do you feel about the Spock/Uhura pairing?

Poll closed Mar 6, 2013.
  1. I LOVE them together! :)

47.5%
  2. I generally think they’re okay together.

18.0%
  3. Not my preference, but I don’t mind them together.

21.3%
  4. I HATE them together. :o

13.1%
  1. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Well, someone just sent me this link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/148562544/Star-Trek-22-Preview

It looks like I won't be watching the next movie, but I will still advocate for equality. Somebody on another thread called asking that they had dealt with Spock's PTSD in a realistic way in STID a "soap opera." Well, let me tell you, I don't think that could touch this in the soapy department. At least that would have been good drama and a decent follow up to the '09 film. I wouldn't be surprised if the next comic has Uhura and T'Pring mudwrestling in bikinis over Spock, with hair pulling and all...

My understanding of bonding is not that it is to the death. I think they confused that with how you can get over Pon Far. I was told that to get over it that a Vulcan needs to copulate or fight to the death. In other words, instead of getting "separated," Spock could have gotten a divorce. Oh well...
    ---

Anyway, to pretty up the thread, here's a nice Zoe and Zach pic:

[​IMG]

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

If there is pon farr in the comics hopefully we will be spared it on screen.

3. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't think the comics are strictly canon; apparently Bob Orci said they were once but has retracted that in subsequent interviews (per the STOG thread in Trek Literature)

Also I'd expect they'll pretty much return to status end of ST:ID before the next movie.

However I'll be surprised if S/U gets much more attention in the next movie - mostly I hope that Uhura gets more respect.

4. Spock/Uhura Fan

Well, I don't think either of those things will happen. They don't seem interested in writing Uhura well, and I'm of the opinion now that they couldn't write the Spock/Uhura relationship well to save their lives. I think they just lucked up and got it right in the first film as a fluke. That's too bad, really.

Anyway, more S/U goodness coming from some very talented illustrators:

This one looks kind of like the anime version of S/U:

[​IMG]

The other 2 pics are a little racy, so I'll put them under a tag:

[​IMG]

I like the way the back is drawn on this one:

[​IMG]

5. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

that was only the preview there are other pages after that and still one more issue after that that will be published in July.

I don't know if you read the comics especially the second part but there is a moment between Kirk and Uhura where Uhura talks about Spock and it's really interesting what she said about him and his vulcan side. I don't know if I can post that scan here but anyway the point is that she told Kirk that she understood that Spock hides some things of his vulcan side from her because he loves her.
    Summarized like that it doesn't make sense but I get what she meant. In short he didn't tell her about pon farr, that is a source of shame for him, because he was scared to lose her. But she says she loves his vulcan side too so maybe she will encourage him to share more of that part of himself with her in the future.
    Let's not forget that as a child of two worlds Spock had always been considered an outsider by both earth and vulcan the only one that accepted him was his mother but the others always saw him as the alien, different and "weird" from their perspective so I don't find it so crazy to believe that he might be scared to lose Uhura, especially after the loss of his home world and mother.
    I think there are sides of his human half that he doesn't accept or tries to control but there are also sides of his vulcan side that he doesn't accept or is scared to show.

Also I have to note that in no form it's ever implied that he wants to mate with T'pring. I have a feeling that the blood fever gets so bad for him (and man.. it's bad. I don't know what the comic writers were thinking here but I had no idea that vulcans could be like zombies :wtf:) precisely because he doesn't want her.
    At one point they have a group of vulcans having to basically carry him to the mating ceremony (because he's that sick and barely conscious) but suddenly he gets mad like hell and escapes from it.
    -----

having said that, the comics are always grey area between canon and not canon. They're a bit more canon than other comics because they're approved by Orci so they're useful to get hints and he has an influence, I think, but remember that the writers of the comics aren't the same writers of the movies.
    Furthermore, they're comics. Storytelling in the form of a comic is different than storytelling in the form of a movie or novel.
    I have to say though that by far Uhura had been amazing in the comics. One of the better developed characters. Have a lot of respect for the girl, I can totally see why he loves her he couldn't find a better match.

6. Spock/Uhura Fan

Without getting into it, I'll just say I wish I shared your optimism. Truly.

7. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked S/U is the first flick, but I confess I thought it was next to useless in this one.

8. Malaika

that's not really optimism per se, I think we just see things differently and have a different opinion (just like we have a different opinion about S/U in into darkness where I like how they're developed and don't have any particular issue with the writing when it comes to them ; ) )
    I guess I'm less critical, I'm used to read both the comics and the novels so I know what to expect from both kind of devices.

I just won't obsess over things that haven't happened.

I beg to differ. If it wasn't for them you wouldn't have Spock's speech in that ship on the way to the klingons planet and the writers wouldn't be able to set up his emotional development in the movie that culminated with his reaction when Kirk died.
    Kirk had similar issues with him but she was the only one who could make Spock open up about his feelings that way. That speech wasn't just about him admitting that he cares/loves her it was much more than that it was important to get an insight about his character especially after what happened to vulcan.
    I've read a review that said they could have made a whole movie only on that and focus more on Spock and the repercussions of the destruction of vulcan but instead we got the usual Kirk movie where everything pretty much revolved about his character growth and this created a lot of missing opportunities.

I think that Kirk's death scene was very out of character for Spock but that speech he made to Uhura makes it a tad less OOC and a tad more justified. This isn't the same Spock before vulcan got destroyed and he saw his mother and Pike dying and in that Kirk's death served as the last straw that broke the camel's back. Without his speech to Uhura and what we are told about him from that, the scene would have resulted even more forced and OOC IMO

9. Spock/Uhura Fan

Well, I don't read comics or the novels, and perhaps that's part of the problem. Most of the people that I've talked to that have been able to explain everything thing in detail, such as yourself, have read those things and I've even been referred to them by some of those people after I've pointed out what didn't make sense to me in the film. So, yeah, I disagree when someone tells me that they did a great job with the film, but see this comic or that novel to understand this scene better, lol. :rofl:

I've only watched the 2 films, and that's it. I guess I just don't consume every little bit of S/U that is possibly out there to get the "full experience."

In my opinion, the 2 films should be able to do that on their own, and I don't have on rose colored shipper glasses when it comes to STID enough to believe that it did it's part in that regard. I don't have a problem with other people liking it, or thinking that it did, but I just can't agree.

10. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a cynical attempt to make Spock more normal, less weird and less possibly homosexual. Though this poll shows I'm in the minority as most in this section profess to "LOVE" their flirtatious banter :lol:.

11. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I haven't commented on this thread in ages, However I doubt your comments are true. spock was never weird, homosexual, or not normal. Spock did have romantic encounters in TOS. Spock was also never weird he just lived by cold logic and spock was also normal...at least normal enough for humans to understand and poke fun off.

I believe that is why uhura made fun of his ears in that song or why bones calls him a hobgoblin.

12. DalekJim

I wasn't giving my opinion on Spock, I was giving my perceived explanation for why Spock is (*sigh*) "shipped" with Uhura. It's to make him more marketable.

13. Malaika

:rolleyes:

>>> attempt at trying to find logic in your statement <<< failed |

oh well you aren't the first one here that wrote their "perceived explanation" for why people like the pair and I'm starting to think that you are all participating to a secret contest to see who makes the most offensive, idiotic and ignorant comment.

14. DalekJim

I think you have quite plainly failed to understand my post, which is only fair as your careless posting style meant I found it difficult to understand yours.

Anybody of half-moderate intelligence could see I was referring to a Hollywood executive's POV and not my own. I feel like I'm insulting the intelligence of the person reading this post by even explaining.

15. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree on that point - I think the Vulcans in general and Spock in particular are probably both ashamed and afraid of pon farr*, he could well fear disgusting and/or hurting Uhura. Sure Sarek and Amanda managed, but this is Spock's first time.

* based mostly on TOS, but I think it's fair to assume anyone reading the comics is a Trekker

There's not much implied about Spock's frame of mind at all and what there is mostly says he's not over his PTSD, which I liked - just mentioning he had it in the movie is not dealing with it.

Certainly OOC for TOS Spock, I found it acceptable for this Spock - on the grounds that he's (understandably) unable to deal with anyone he's close to dying.

I thought we were now discussing the After Darkness comics, at least in part ?

I think that ST:ID used S/U mostly to shed light on Spock's frame of mind, but that's all I expected from it. I do somewhat regret Uhura's ending up in the girlfriend role, but that's a personal bias.

16. teacake

Being "not normal" is a major character component of Spock. He will always be a child of two worlds. He was tormented growing up because he was not a "normal" Vulcan. He's not human either, though he finds it easier to be on a human dominant ship, no doubt because he can be seen as truly Vulcan by them, something denied him at home. Yes that can all be called "weird" if a person is so inclined.

Spock being "not normal" and an outsider struggling to fit in is THE most compelling personality trait of the character, this is what enamored so many TOS fans with Spock and Star Trek. What is now generations of people who feel like outsiders have looked at Spock and seen a story they can relate to.

For the less nerdy audience it's still a familiar tale, akin to Peter Parker getting knocked about in high school and struggling to talk to girls.

As to the "homosexual".. modern fandom embraces preference ambiguity however the K/S subtext has never been so overt as to be in the face of a broader audience not looking for it. There is nothing to tone down, if that was the intention. But K/S has been there since the beginning, way back in the 60's. JJ is certainly aware of this and his films have played into it in a very satisfying way. Uhura being there has no effect on the often charged and affectionate relationship of Kirk and Spock.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

A broad-brush swipe - not great, but by itself not really enough.

Still not enough, whatever a "perceived explanation" might be.

There we go. You may be sincere when you say that you feel like you're insulting the intelligence of the person reading this post, or you may not. However, it's pretty clear that your two preceding sentences (particularly the second) were intended to bait or insult, and that will be sufficient to earn you a warning. Comments to PM, please.

18. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Oh yeah, I agree but you missed my point. what I meant is that Spock is at least normal enough for humans to understand and Spock will always have romantic encounters with women.

it has nothing to do with slash. slash fiction has always existed since K/S, The latest slash obsession by people is Tony Stark/Bruce Banner aka Iron Man/Hulk. Nonetheless we all know that Tony Stark like Jim Kirk likes to sleep with every pretty girl that says hi to them.

The whole purpose of Slash fiction is to ask What If? but it still by no means make Kirk or Spock homosexual. Going by Carol giving us a background of Chapel in STiD, it is clear that Kirk has even lost count of how many women he has slept with.

Kirk and Spock will always care deeply for each other and be affectionate. However they will always have lustful attraction, sex and experience romantic love with women. Kirk and Spock's relationship with women will have no effect on their legendary friendship/ bromance/ relationship.

The Kirk and Spock relationship is the central and most important relationship in TREK. All their romantic partners either it is Uhura, Leia, Zarabeth, Chapel, T-Pring, Galia and Carol are just mini subplots and like a post once said...the girlfriends.

That's is all am saying.

I have no issue with slash , all fandoms from Marvel to lord of the rings, to star wars to harry potter all have huge slash fan base. harry/draco, Frodo/Sam, Tony/Bruce, Batman/Superman , Anakin/Obi Wan, Wolverine/Gambit but I do get a little worried when most female fan fiction writers start saying slash is canon and the characters are indeed homosexuals who have not yet realised it.

19. Malaika

I agree. I also think that, actually, having him in a romantic relationship further shows that he's not "normal"
    the interesting thing is precisely the fact that he will never be a "normal" boyfriend/partner and his struggle to love someone all the while having to deal with the perceived flaws of both his halves.

Honestly I think that Tos Spock had it easier, in a way.
    He never fell in love, he never lost his mom and his home planet.. therefore he didn't have to face the challenges that this Spock is facing and that might make this Spock a more multi dimensional character and maybe reach the kind of peace that TOS Spock found when he was old just this time sooner and before all the people he cares about die.

Do I think that the writers will take full advantage of his potential as a character? Probably not especially if they insist in making every movie predominantly "about Kirk" and how people relate to him. But they still added a depth to Spock that he, IMO, didn't have in tos (not because Nimoy Spock couldn't but because at the time he wasn't given the chance)

yeah, I don't think that the writers care about people "slashing" K/S and even less they want to tone it down and put Spock with Uhura for that reason. It's stupid.
    I've read some reviews about star trek into darkness that even accused the writers of doing some "queer baiting" there.

anyway, I'm glad they aren't scared of subtext because I think that if you want to develop a friendship like theirs and make people think that these two are like brothers you have to make the characters close you can't stop and think about how the slash subculture will interpret the scenes. If you do that you won't be able to develop ANY close friendship.

If anything, slash will always exist regardless what happens on screen.

if anything the last comics showed how out of control the vulcans get when they're under the influence of the blood fever. There is a part where Spock is still "himself" and he pleads Uhura to not get too close because he knows he might hurt her in the state he's at the moment.

One of my pet-peeves in this fandom is when people say that vulcans have no feelings.
    They do have feelings and they're actually deeper and stronger than humans and this is precisely the reason why they desperately seek control and need it to have a "normal" life. We humans don't need that because our feelings are easier to control perhaps, at least compared to theirs.
    The question is: if Spock has both human AND vulcan feelings is his control vulcan or human?

Zoe Saldana made a point about it in one of her last interviews where she said that Uhura is starting to understand his vulcan side more and the depth of his feelings and that he's very scared to lose control because he feels that if he does that people (and therefore her) will suffer.

[/quote]

I don't think it's a coincidence that he became like the "vanished" vulcans: a group of vulcans that lost their mind and regressed to feral pre-Surak state due to the great grief they felt when their home world was destroyed.

20. teacake

Well there is this..

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCC0OaU8ndA[/yt]