Superman Lives! Artwork

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Found this Japanese website that has a bunch of artwork from Tim Burton's Superman Lives, it is a Japanese site so there's Japanese text along with the pictures. Some have been seen before, like the Frankenstein like drawing of Superman in the regeneration suit. Mania has the original article with a picture of Brainiac with spider like robot legs and his head incased in a bottle. Not sure how many pictures there are, but so far my favorite is the schematic sketch of the proposed Superman Tomb, damn that thing would have been nice to see on the big screen.

http://www.timburton.jp/gallery/unproduce/sl/

2. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

There were some interesting ideas mixed in amongst the bizzaro crap. But giving the project to Burton was the definition of suits making choices without any knowledge of what they have.

Burton did Batman and people seemed to like it, therefore he should also do Superman. Superheroes are all basically the same thing right? And make it as much like other popular movies as possible. In this case, The Matrix.

Thank goodness Bandwagon Superman died in favor of SR. SR was bland mix of camp and teenage drama, but it wasn't aggressively bad.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen those on wikipedia before. Very, very strange and I am personally glad it didn't come to the screen.

Although, as an interesting aside, it is kinda neat that the \S/ was later used as the Energy Superman \S/ (or maybe it was around the same time...can't remember).

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I fucking hate Tim Burton.

5. Admiral_Young

Bizarre to comtemplate what he was thinking on the designs...one thing to make a character dark and brooding but an entirely different matter to actually ALTER a character beyond recognition. I think the one of Superman looking like frankenstein is supossed to be the Eradicator but it's hard to tell. The sketech that really freaks me out is the one that looks like a little girl Superman or a zombie Supergirl! I wonder what that pile of Krptonite was supposed to be for? I don't remember reading anything about that in Kevin Smith's script, I haven't read the Dan Gilroy version yet though. Also is that gangly monstrous alien thing that Superman looks like he's about to confront supossed to be a version of Brainiac's skull ship? Hideous.

6. Trekker4747

I wonder if Johnny Depp would've played Superman.

7. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Burton cast Nic Cage as Supes, Chris Rock as Jimmy Olsen and Jack Nicholson as Lex if I recall.

8. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I'm so glad this wasn't made.

9. Trekker4747

Jack Nicholson I could see. Nick Cage as Superman I never undestood or got for an instant. I remeber reading that in the mid/late 90s and thinking: :wtf:.

Chris Rock as Jimmy? Oy!

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a fan of Burton's work, but he was the wrong choice to helm a Superman film. Now, a Doom Patrol film he'd be perfect for.

11. Admiral_Young

Nic Cage as Superman/Clark Kent was highly controversial at the time...and still is. People compared the decision to Michael Keaton being chosen to play Batman but that turned out okay. I don't think this would have though even though it would've been a dream job for Cage (he's a huge Supes fan and named his son Kal-El) I don't remember Jack Nicolson as Lex Luthor though, I would have paid money just to see that! I remember that teaser poster...

12. Trekker4747

I just couldn't see Cage working as Superman. Superman is a bulky, handsome, old-school weight-lifter type. Not an odd-faced, balding, average-sized guy.

13. Admiral_Young

I can't even see Cage as Clark Kent...he doesn't even have the right hair and probably would have had to wear a wig.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

They were going to try to do something with Cage where he would have looked dramatically different as Superman and as Clark Kent. I have no idea how that would have turned out, though.

15. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I wonder if there is enough interest fora comic book based on this idea

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I think there would be as an Elseworld's tale (if DC even still does that).

Since a comic book doesn't need the same audience as a big budget summer movie, I think it would be "successful enough" for DC to attempt it.

Although, if they go with the Kevin Smith version of the script, I'm not too sure. That script was terrible.

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's why they should cast Emilio Estevez as Clark and Charlie Sheen as Superman. Problem solved! :)

18. Newski

Newski Captain Captain

Now, I would have liked it if this movie had been made, but did not actually restore interest in Superman. Maybe then people would appreciate Superman Returns a bit more.

Maybe had this been made, and it essentially was, like Superman Returns, generally dismissed.

Because it would not have been good. But it would have been interesting to have seen.

EDIT: It blows the hell out of the JJ Abram's Superman. There were plenty of unproduced Superman movies. This, and the Kevin Smith script are very sadly the best you can get.... Technically, Smith's script was supposed to be the basis for this, but Burton decided to go in another direction.

19. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

"First off I would never steal ideas from, or read a comic book."

"I know. I've seen Batman."

20. Admiral_Young

As bad as some parts of Abrams script was I liked some parts of the rewrite but overall as a movie would have hated watching it.