Starship Size Argument™ thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

I just explained it above. I'll explain again.

We're supposed to believe that the nuE is twice as tall as the Empire State Building. I've been there. I see it out my window. It's laughable that the nuE is that big. The shots of people in the windows, the heights of the deck, and extrapolating out doesn't work to (haha) 725m.

2. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

To quote you.... Did you measure it?

Because there does appear to be a signifficant....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

size difference.....

Gonzo likes this.
  3. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

Artistic license.

4. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Yes. About 725 meters of it.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Read it properly. Bridge *window* would take up the entire height of the dome. It's 8' tall.
    But we know from the central plaza set the heIghts of all the decks.
    Yes. That's the Lawrence Livermore target chamber, the location used for the warp core in Into Darkness, correctly scaled and overlayed over a 366m Enterprise. And it's too wide.
    The shuttles are 40' long. That's how big the one they built for Star Trek '09 was.

Firebird and Gonzo like this.
  6. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

Where is it stated that shuttles are 40' long? I looked on Google and couldn't find it. Even EAS didn't have it.

7. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Slightly off topic, but The new shuttlebay has to be the stupidest design I've ever seen. Massive amount of floor space and you stick pylons out into it at an angle so you can't land anything bigger than a standard shuttlecraft.

starmike likes this.
  8. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

That's a lot of licence. ;)

jamestyler likes this.
  9. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

The way I see JJTrek, they took a lot of liberties with the design of the ship. Even the Kelvin's interior looked ridiculous. It looked like a factory. A starship, even an older one, shouldn't look like that.

And with the '09 movie, all those pylons and stupid Budgineering made me thing that nobody really gave any clear thought to what was going on.

10. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I'm sorry I can't quite work out if you are being sarcastic or not, as there are multiple 40' lomg shuttles parked in there already in rows.

What do you think they did flatpack built them inside the shuttle bay, there is clearly plenty of room in between the pylons if you actually bother to look properly.

I really do hope you were being sarcastic.

11. Beyond Darkness

Beyond Darkness Ensign Red Shirt

I honestly do not know why you bother doing the whole explaination procedure all over again... Trekkies like starmike will never... i repeat NEVER accept that nuEnterprise is 725m long NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO. For example... starmike claims that there are only 2 decks at the edge of the saucer because there are 2 rows of windows... but to do so he ignores that those windows are gigantic having almost the height of the deck itself (which is shown in many scenes) something that proves that at its edge the saucer is so thick that actually houses at least 4 decks (but simply not all decks have windows)!!! Then you point at him the artium domes and the artium scene that show there are 15 decks at the saucer from top to bottom and he simply says it is full of mistakes!!! Prior to all of these he has already refered to the shuttlebay, the primary engineering, the secondary engineering and the brewery-communications area (that all show how huge the ship is) as visual mistakes!!! And of course at the beginning of his arguments he complains that the creators of the new Star Trek series did not put on screen any visual evidence to support their 725m ship claim (i guess he is right about that since all the visual evidence that point to a 725m Enterprise are apparently visual mistales!!!). Finally, according to him, the designers of the nuEnterprise (yep the guys that actually created the ship) are also wrong about how big the nuEnterprise is... only trekkies from Team325m know:angel:.

PS. This post is neither a personal attack towards starmike nor an intention to disrespect fellow trekkies that cannot accept the 725m size. I have total respect towards all members of our community, especially the older ones who with their continuing support all those years have kept this fantastic franchise alive. It is simply intended to show how stubborn one of us can be once he/she has made up with his/her mind (perhaps a little vividly)!

Gonzo likes this.
  12. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

It's a total waste of space, putting the shuttles in the main bay.

13. Tyr

Tyr Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And several sets of the Kelvin and the Enterprise had clearly visible concrete floors. In a ship. A space ship. Yeah, sure...

starmike and Gonzo like this.
  14. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

This is why I love this thread the denial is so strong it actually stings my eyes, but it's all right anytime something doesn't fit in their world view they can just put it down to artistic licence. :guffaw:

15. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

Not true. The windows are the height of a normal window. In the shot where Kirk is running (about 22m into the movie), the top of the window is LOWER than Kirk's head.

16. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

I don't get it. I show multiple times where the ship is 300m long, and you call it denial?

Let's settle this once and for all: The filmmakers screwed up and didn't keep the scale consistent throughout all three movies.

Gonzo likes this.
  17. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Ahh there it is, you have moved from outright denial to bargaining.

Well done, it took some people years to do that you know.

You don't get to settle anything when you are wrong and dared to use the term "Artistic Licence" as an argument, I could have said the same about the sliding down the saucer scent, I mean come on its not like they are going to show him sliding down the entire length of the 300m saucer are they, it would take too long and is completely unnecessary to the plot.

The scale of the ship is consistent with a bloody big ship, thank you for playing.

18. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

But I'm not wrong lol. Thank you for playing.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Shuttle bay says it all. A Connie holds four shuttles. The Abramsverse Connie looks to hold, at least, a dozen much larger shuttles.

Gonzo likes this.
  20. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You misunderstand my point, the angled supports for the second level narrow the open floorspace on the deck to only the width of the "runway". Thus any vessel much wider than a standard shuttle craft would crash into them rather than be able to land safely in the shuttlebay, thus wasting a great advantage of having so much room to begin with.

starmike and Gonzo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.