Seven Deadly Sins--cover on amazon

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Greg Cox, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

FYI, amazon has posted the cover of the SEVEN DEADLY SINS anthology. Looks pretty snazzy to me.

2. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Ah, I was wondering when they'd put it up. S&S has had a tiny thumbnail version up for most of last week.

So, Jimmy Diggs is no longer contributing, then? And is that how Britta Dennison will be credited from now on?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Ah, it looks a lot better in colour!

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, I've been waiting to see a color version of this ever since the last PB catalog. I'm really excited for this one, I really like all of the races picked for this. I'm especially curious about the Pakled story. Will it be the first time they've played a major role in a Trek story since Samaritan Snare?

EDIT: I just checked S&S's website and they also have the final description up.

5. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

6. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Very nice :techman:. I'm really looking forward to KRAD's Klingon story (his only treklit of 2010 :(), and the Ferengi story which I take will have some Tarantinoesque sequences by way of its title :)

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Can't wait. I've been looking forward to this ever since it was first announced.

Interesting how the cover depicts TOS Klingons and Romulans...

8. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

that it does.

9. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't wait for Mr. Swallow's Cardassian story. He's one of my favorite authors for the Cardassians! :)

10. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Yes.

Yes it is.

:cool:

11. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I'm not complaining...:)

12. Paris

^Neither am I :). I prefer the Romulans that don't have the cranial ridges like the ones in the new movie (they seem more Vulcan), and I've always liked idea of the whole Qu'Cha / Hem'Quch Klingon seperation since it was first introduced in Enterprise's last season and in some books that followed (like M&M's Forged in Fire).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  13. rafterman1701

rafterman1701 Commodore Commodore

Very nice.

14. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that the theme for the anthology is rather silly, but I've ordered it anyway, and I don't mind if we get some good stories out of it.

15. Paris

^I, on the other hand, find the premise and theme to be quite interesting. I think exploring some of the defining character traits of the various trek alien cultures is a great idea. Wrapping it all around a concept like sin (the "deadly" one's to boot :rolleyes:) seems kind of natural. I'm actually kind of surprised that something like this wasn't produced before now...

16. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never liked the idea of a single defining trait for an entire alien race - feels too much like ethnic stereotyping - and wrapping it up around the Christian concept of deadly sin feels particularly cheesy.

Not to mention that using Borg as an epitome of some sort of metaphorical gluttony is... a bit of a stretch, to put it that way. :borg:

17. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

The sins aren't being used to "define" an alien race. They were simply matched up on the basis of what was considered to be the best way to tell a story featuring a character or characters from a particular race, and whatever actions they take (or fail to take) that could be described as falling prey to a given "sin." You could swap the sins around to the selected species, or substitute new ones, and come up with a completely different collection of stories. The seven here simply represent what those involved in the planning of the anthology considered to be the strongest selection. If it works, there might well be another collection somewhere down the road where the matchups/species are completely different. One never knows.

18. Paris

The fact that they were using a certain species matched up with a certain "sin" at first made me think of stereotyping as well, but to paraphrase Dayton, it's just a launching point for a story. I think that they used the whole "sin" thing because it's a concept that most people are familiar with, and will understand right away when they pick up the book.

It actually seems like a good theme as people who are only fairweather trek fans may see the book and be like, "Seven deadly sins? I know about those. And combining them with star trek aliens? Sounds interesting...". They'll probably sell more books because of the "sin" angle then they would have if it was just a collection of short trek stories. Which in turn, is great for treklit fans. We all know that the more a book sells, the more likely they are to keep on publishing more :)

19. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I disagree -- that's how the Borg were originally presented in "Q Who." The exact phrase Q used was that the Enterprise was something to "consume." And their "assimilation uber alles" attitude is pretty consistent with gluttony....

As for that being the TOS iteration of Kang on the cover -- youbetcha! :klingon: When Marco first came to me about doing this story, the way he pitched it to me was, "How'd you like to write TOS-era Klingons for a change?"

My story specifically deals with the QuchHa'/HemQuch dichotomy, and how Kor, Kang, and Koloth in particular handled it as high-ranking QuchHa'. The story takes place after "Errand of Mercy" and "The Trouble with Tribbles," but before "Day of the Dove," and is the first time the Big Three worked together.

(The story title is the literal translation of QuchHa'.)

20. Paris

^Fantastic!!! I loved the way those three were portrayed in Forged in Fire, and can't wait to read the story of the first time that they worked together. KRAD + Klingons = AWESOMESAUCE!!

Sorry for the sucking-up. I just like KRAD klingon stories...

..you know...

...a lot :).