Voyager rebooted as a movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by F. King Daniel, Oct 17, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you seen these people nowadays? Some recasting is definitely in order. Unless they are all playing Admirals.. a ship full of Admirals. Except Kim of course.

Picardo, he could still be the EMH. He looks great and there's all kinds of reasons he cold be older looking. Perhaps he wants to keep up with an older lover, or more likely he gets it into his subroutines that he'll get more respect that way.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Sure.

Outside of Picardo and Russ, the acting couldn't be any worse.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Agreed. I love to watch and compare multiple versions of the same story; in a way, it adds to the viewing experience and gives you more to mull over afterwards. It's interesting to see how the same stories and characters are interpreted by different actors, and in different eras. I mean, just compare the Disney version of DR. SYN to the Hammer Films version with Peter Cushing. You'd never know they were based on the same source material!

I guess, in a way, it depends on whether you want to focus on the plot or the aesthetics/execution.

An odd comparison: Is anyone else watching HOT SET on Syfy? One of things I find fascinating about the show is how they can give the same script and setup to two different production designers, who usually end up going in completely different directions when it comes to visualizing the scene.

It's the same sort of thing. Here's VOYAGER (or whatever). What else can you do with this raw material?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  4. GSnail

GSnail Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't know about trying to tell the whole story of voyager in one movie. I just don't think it would work. There are basically three possibilities.
    AU prequel, like nutrek. They do the starting off thing, but its in a different universe so it is different.
    A long episode. The movie takes place during the seven years they are lost, and its like the two part episodes, only more movie-ish.
    An after movie. It takes place after they get home, and probably something happens and the universe conspires to bring the crew back together to save the day.

Personally, I like the first. It would be cool to see how it woul work with different interpretations of the same characters

5. teacake

I like the first too. Redoing Caretaker as AU. OR redoing it as NuBSG where you really step outside of the Trek box. I'm kind of suspecting something like that (but not with VOY) will happen in the next ten years. The lack of dark violent sexy grit in Trek will be seen as a deficit to be fixed.

6. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I still wouldn't want a Voyager-as-exists remake. But x years/decades down the line, I wouldn't be averse to a JJ-flavour reboot. That would give it enough time to look and feel completely fresh.

7. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

But isn't a different actor playing the part the same as, say, the different interpretations we already get of the characters in the novels? No two writers see them the same. I've read about Spocks who hide raging emotions behind a veil of calm, and ones who barely remember what feelings are like.

Heck, no two Voyager TV writers wrote Janeway the same, and it showed!:lol:[/QUOTE]

It's not the same thing. When I read one of my beloved Voyager books, I can "see" the characters from the TV series. I also manage to sort out the contradictions which can be found in some books.

If I have to watch a re-booted Voyager movie or series, then the whole thing is ruined for me because what I see on screen will not be the Voyager characters as I imagine them.

[​IMG]

8. teacake

The stuff you love now will be ruined?

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But wouldn't you love to see Richard Gere and Julia Roberts up on the screen together again?

Rick has always seemed a to have near illuminant degree of burnt sienna complexion, so he could fake being native American easily.

Good lord! Imagine Julia's Bun!

It would be like a basketball glued to her crown.

(Sandra Bullock and Hugh grant?)

10. teacake

At least you didn't say Hugh Grant and Meg Ryan.

Not that the suggestions you give aren't execrable, it's just possible to actually do worse.

11. Guy Gardener

I really though I was scrapping the bottom of the barrel with Hugh Grant as Chakotay.

12. teacake

Yes that is incredibly bad, painfully guttingly awful.

And the quips! UGH.

13. Guy Gardener

Eric Estrada and Delta Burke?

They were fantastic together on Popular, but if you're going to reboot it's a bit of an insult to replace the old actors with even older actors.

14. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

An excellent point! I enjoy reading diff author's interpretations of characters I've already "met" and consider it a way of getting to know them better!

I would love to see Voyager on the big screen. Actors? hmmm. Janeway's would be the toughest one; perhaps it would be best to go with someone unexpected to completely depart with what we know and love.

Will have to think about that one. Tuvok would be tough, too.

15. teacake

If Tim Russ dyes out the grey he will look exactly the same, especially with a little makeup.

Janeway.. sigh. The big qualities would be:

The warmth and her quality of seducing everyone into doing what she wants.

The directness, the barking out orders like you mean it. No one like Elizabeth Weir in SG:A who delivered all her lines like a terrified flower.

It's the ability to bark and seduce in the same character we need.

16. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes!

I don't think that I could love a Voyager with characters who don't look like and probably don't act like the real characters.

[​IMG]

17. teacake

So the VOY we have right now, your seasons 1-3 would be ruined if there was a VOY reboot movie?

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Ya know, I'm kinda wondering how Uma Thurman might handle the part of Janeway. I kinda think she could handle that balance you are speaking of. Uma's only about 15 years younger than Kate Mulgrew, so the age would be about right.

19. KarenLynn

KarenLynn Ensign Newbie

A few days ago, before discovering this forum, I had some thoughts about a Voyager movie. Not a reboot, but a post-Endgame story. That way they could still use the same actors. :) I would personally prefer that to seeing other actors as the Voyager crew characters, and I'm also curious to hear the story of what happened after they got home.

I have very little knowledge about the rest of Trek in general - I know about the other series and in what order they aired, I know there are Trek movies out there, and I know there are books. What I don't know is whether post-Endgame Voyager is really covered anywhere much. I do know about Admiral Janeway being in one of the movies, and I've heard about Janeway being killed off (not happy about that!) and Chakotay and Seven breaking up, I think. That's all I know about what's happened since Voyager returned, so I have probably missed stuff and this could all be irrelevant. :p

Now, here's what I was thinking... The movie could start with the scene from Endgame where we see them back on Earth celebrating the 25 (?) years since their return - what later turns out to be future Admiral Janeway's reality. Only the scene would be changed to reflect the Voyager crew's reality 25 years later. After that opening, they could go back and fill in the blanks on the years since Voyager came back, with some storyline tying it all together. One thing, though - I would really want Janeway to come back somehow. I would watch a Voyager movie if she wasn't in it, but to me it wouldn't be nearly as awesome without her.

20. teacake

Janeway has been brought back to sweet sweet permanent life in the latest novel.

The post Endgame books (referred to as relaunch as opposed to books set during the series) are quite good IMO. The vary in quality but there are some gems there and the story can be engrossing. The most recent writer for them who posts here sometimes is excellent. If you want a list of them just let me know, they are one long story arc(s).

Admiral Janeway appeared in First Contact for about 6 seconds. Otherwise we only have our imaginations..

And would I like to see Kate Mulgrew in the role of Janeway 25 years later?

YES YES YES I would.