What is social media like in the Trek world?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by HaplessCrewman, Mar 31, 2014.

1. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Do they have the Internet in the 23rd Century? How do they get their news? Do they send emails through subspace back to Earth?

In TUC, Valeris says she heard "on the news" about Azetbur becoming the new chancellor. Was she looking at the Internet when she was supposed to be on duty? :rommie:

In McIntyre's novel, The Entropy Effect, Spock says he read up on Dr. Mordreaux when he knew the Enterprise would be tranporting the criminal. Did Spock just "Google" Mordreaux? :vulcan:

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek often overlooks all this, often times implying the ships' databases contain all information known rather than accessing Space Google or Wikipedia or Memory Alpha. Hell, it even got to the point where Janeway could look up the Excelsior's maintenance logs.

How they get their news is an interesting question. Since there is no television, one would think that must mean newspapers, or perhaps a digital version of them. Certainly, Jake Sisko seems to be a newspaper journalist. But then, all the reporters we see in Generations seemed to be filming everything, so there must be some sort of visual medium for news broadcasting.

Since no one foresaw the rise of Facebook or Twitter even in the 1990s (I think Facebook was only just starting off as a university only thing when Enterprise ended) we don't see that aspect of Federation life. Strangely enough, the Abrams movies don't even feature social media of any type. Perhaps this was eradicated in WWIII?

3. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

In the novel Spock's World, the Enterprise has a shipwide bulletin board system, which very much reminded me of the old local dialup computer BBSs that I used to use back in the 80's. There is a news media and a planetwide television network on Vulcan as well.

4. HaplessCrewman

Some great points!

Totally forgot Jake Sisko was a "journalist". Wonder what he actually wrote for?

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He wrote for the Federation News Service.

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

HoloFacebook and Subspace Twitter?

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Just as the United States and other countries have specialized radio and television networks for military personnel, Starfleet likely has something similar. So there might be a 23rd/24th century equivalent to Stars & Stripes.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a lot like today...
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0SJ9HuB5k[/YT]
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6n1zmyMbdg[/YT]
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F30KZFVcQSo[/YT]

The nuTrek crew don't have time for Facebook. They have entire missions on Twitter.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  9. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    I would think with humans expanding their knowledge and exploring the galaxy, posting pictures of their lunch, or mirror pics of their new bathing suit so everyone can "LIKE" it probably isn't really of much interest when you can be going where no man has gone before!

I'm sure there are news wires that send information out to relay stations so everyone can hear updates about political events and such. Jake Sisko was a reporter/writer for the Federation! He wrote and sent out lots of information. And as stated, I'm sure that technology has allowed everyone to be able to access any information they might need from a Starship or Starbase. And I'm sure there are terminals the same way on earth. I don't think there would a need for the internet the same way we use it today. I think it would be far more integrated into peoples lives without even realizing that they way they send and receive information was based of the internet as we use it today.

10. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the future they've discovered that social media are dangerously harmful to the human organism. By the late 21st century, they had nearly destroyed civilization before real life was reintroduced as a last resort.

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

*Gasp* You mean there is no Trekbbs in the future!?!

12. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, I'm sure there will still be a few of us 300 year old die hards still posting.

13. HaplessCrewman

Thanks for those videos. They are hilarious and answer my query quite adequately!