Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

SHIELD training gear brought to you by Under Armor.

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

So Cap holds the record for bulldozer-pushing? Wasn't under the impression that he was supposed to be that strong....

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Wow, that was surprising. I had no idea the two plots were connected.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

:watching May and Ward fighting in Act-1 scene:

Wow. The sex between them must be great!

5. The Old Mixer

Shoot, I was gonna call Peterson buying it by the end of the episode and I waivered....

6. Alidar Jarok

I hadn't expected that, though. If he was going to die, I expected him to die succeeding. It was just so cold blooded.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Are you familiar with the works of Joss Whedon?;)

8. The Old Mixer

Well, we didn't see the body, so there's always a chance for a return. But I get the impression that they're adding another angle to Skye with this, since she seems to have been set up as the new surrogate parent.

Was hoping we'd get something substantial about Coulson's situation this episode, but all we got was the previews for next time.

Anyone getting the impression that maybe Po is the clairvoyant and there's a multiple personality/compartmentalization thing going on?

Or maybe Po has one of those eye things and communicates with the clairvoyant that way...and the "clairvoyant" got his name because he's the one watching everybody on Candid Eyeball...?

9. Alidar Jarok

Who is Po?

My guess is Ian Quinn (the guy on Malta). Two reasons. One, they suggested he might not be clairvoyant and hinted it's someone with a lot of financial resources. Two, more of these episodes are interconnected that I originally thought, so I don't see why that one wouldn't be either.

10. The Old Mixer

Po is the guy they broke from prison who contacts the clairvoyant, unless I misunderstood his name.

EDIT: Just checked on IMDB, the character's name is Edison Po.

11. Alidar Jarok

OK. I think the likely explanation is that he is being controlled as well (given his fear of being involved with Reyna and the fact that he had to stab someone previously). This seems like there needs to be somebody on the outside to run the whole thing, although who knows.

Does anyone think we'll get all the answers for Coulson next time? It seems there will be flashbacks, which suggests at least greater information, but there also seems to be scenes in that trailer of him looking at pictures of himself trying to find more info.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, I assumed it was Poe.

I Googled "Edison Po" to see if he was a pre-existing Marvel character, but apparently not. The top hits were either about the show or about the Edison, NJ Post Office. :lol:

This was a pretty strong episode, with a lot happening. J. August Richards was amazingly good here. He got to show a lot more range and depth than he did as the angry, unstable Mike in the pilot. And though I could see his fate coming a mile away, the manner in which it happened was still quite startling.

13. The Old Mixer

Oh, I'm sure they'll tease Coulson's story along, but to do that, they have to give us something....

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Simmons is a perve.

15. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

As long as they dont show Coulson driving again. The man was whipping the wheel around like it was fast and furious time.
    A solid episode this week with much misdirection as to the bad guys actual goal.

16. Christopher

One thing that threw me, since it involved my home state, was the "University of Ohio" in Cleveland. There's an Ohio University, but it's much further south in Athens, OH (and Ohio State U. is in Columbus). Cleveland is home to Case Western Reserve University as well as Cleveland State University. I don't know why they felt they needed to make up an imaginary university, since it was such a minor part of the story and they didn't paint it in a negative light.

They used a fictional lottery name too, but that's more understandable, since the Ohio Lottery's logo would be trademarked.

17. Alidar Jarok

Universities aren't trademarked?

18. Christopher

I dunno, are they? Fringe was largely set at Harvard. Lots of TV shows mention real universities; for instance, in Gilligan's Island, Mr. Howell was proud of being a Harvard man and had a low opinion of Yale graduates. Eureka often mentioned MIT and other real universities.

19. Alidar Jarok

Fair enough, I have no idea.

One thing that was interesting was what they chose on the previously. It seemed they wanted everything to be explained to a new viewer, but not everything necessarily was included in the previously clips. For example, they were able to keep the Eye Spy connection a secret because Michael Peterson could be audience surrogate. On the other hand, there was no realistic way to explain what Level 7 was through characters who would all know, so they had to include that as a clip (even for just the little bit of dialog).

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Calling a university campus a made up name is fine.

Calling a real university campus the name of another real university is a horse of another colour.