Sanctuary 1x01/02 - "Sanctuary for All" - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turbo, Oct 3, 2008.

?

Grade Sanctuary for All

1. Excellent

14.0%
  2. Above Average

46.5%
  3. Average

32.6%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

7.0%
  1. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    It was an internet series.

2. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Oh, thank you.

If I didn't know can I get special dispensation or do I still have to wear the JCL jersey?

3. Zod

Zod Captain Captain

Wow many of you guys liked this, and we are a pretty tough crowd overall compared to the average viewer I would say.

That impresses me, glad I recorded it and now I will check it out. :)

4. highlander

highlander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just watched it on DVR. I gave it above average. Amanda was great as always. I'll keep watching.

5. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure, but you need electricity to operate these things. Has that little problem from a few months back been solved there yet?

;)

6. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Overall I enjoyed it. Much more appealing to me than Fringe. I'm glad I don't have the Stargate baggage a lot of you seem to have, though even I got the "Daniel Jackson" vibe from Will. ;)

Every time Henry showed up, all I could think of was Harper from Andromeda. That's not a bad thing. I loved Harper. :techman:

I liked it. Which of course means it's doomed. I'm sorry everybody.

7. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Yawn... I was not impressed. It has some bright moments, but I just could not sit through it in one sitting. It *felt* much longer than 2hrs. I'll probably hang around for another episode or two...

Misc thoughts:
    - I just don't get the general Amanda Tapping worship around here. (maybe that's my biggest issue with the show)
    - The cop guy (also on SGA) is a *terrible* actor - in both shows.
    - Bring in the Dr. jackson clones!
    - 'Todd' was good.
    - The daughter was also decent - more interesting than her mother at least.
    - Are they only allowed to cast 'scifi' actors?

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me neither. She doesn't seem to have much of an acting range. The only difference between Helen Magnus and Samantha Carter is that she's deprived Magnus of much of a personality at all. Maybe she's going for a Zen feel but she just comes off as empty.

But in general, these actors are pretty uninspiring. Compare them with actors who can just take over a role and demand your attention - Zachary Levi on Chuck, Kristen Chenowith on Pushing Daisies, Zachary Quinto on Heroes, Michael Emerson on Lost - those are the types who can compensate for lackluster scripts (not that the shows they are on are bad, far from it, or that they don't deserve good scripts).

I think it's the budget - this show just can't afford to hire actors like that. They really need at least one to make this show work.

9. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Couldn't spot any mention, but episode 1 appears to be on in the UK tonight (9pm, ITV4)

Guess I'll take a look:)

10. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
    I'm not an Amanda Tapping fan. I think she is going for mysterious, but I just don't feel very curious about her secrets.

11. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I do like Tapping's accent. If nothing else, it helps pull her tongue out from between her back teeth. That has always really bugged me about her articulation. There's an interesting clip talking to Tapping on Hulu where she discusses her development of the accent. I don't know enough about British accents to guage her success, but I found it interesting how much thought she put into it. And that her English mother approved of the result. ;)

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

A.T. looks hot with dark hair, however she can't do the British accent at all.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The accent will probably get better as the show progresses. I didn't think it was awful. Not perfect, but not awful.

14. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not personally familiar with a wide range of accents. I know there's not just "a" southern accent, and can make a stab at distinguishing southern Appalachian from Virginian or Georgian, or Texas/Oklahoma from either. Exotica like Lousiana Cajun, Outer Banks brogue or Gullah I can spot too. Down East, ditto. And curiously enough I think I could distinguish a Quebecois accent. But Tina Fey's Minnewegian passes for Alaska to my ears.

How do people know Tapping's accent's terrible?

15. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I think she did have a point in interviews, when she said she wasn't going for "An English accent" she was going for "a Victorian accent" which had been tempered by 100+ years of travel, without losing the accent.

16. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    It was a series of webisodes that was touted as the world's first made for the net series.

I remember quite a few people on here bagging it, largely because they said the effects were not the level they wanted. It always amazes me that science fiction fans, who should be the most open to new things, are usually the most critical.

As I said, now all those same people will jump on the bandwagon and claim they followed the show "from the beginning".

:rolleyes:

17. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Well the ratings were good.

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=1779

18. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

19. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Interesting enough, even if some of the reedits from the webisodes made it play a bit differently.

At first I thought the Daniel Jackson clone was the same guy who played the Daniel Jackson clone in Cube Zero, but I guess not.....

20. Zod

Zod Captain Captain

Watched it last night and I liked it. It was above average with lots of room for growth.