Ringworld and Childhood's End mini-series coming to Syfy

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RAMA, Apr 10, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

2. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

A channel devoted to sf decides to adapt true stone-cold classics... too bad the prospect fills me with terror.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Honestly the execs must be on crack..too much real scifi happening here...

4. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure why? While the channel has not always been the best at scifi tv, it's mini series have usually been top notch.

5. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Interesting... But can we trust the syfy channel to do real justice to Nessus and Speaker to Animals? ...or even Louie for that matter. Teela should be easy I suppose, any Cali girl should do.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

My theory: a transporter accident has replaced the SyFy honchos with their Mirror Universe counterparts, where the SyFy channel isn't frightened of anything approximating science fiction.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm both excited and terrified by this news. Sci-Fi (back when it had the sensible name) had plans to make a Ringworld mini-series nine years ago (I remember being very excited back then) but it never came to fruition. Now Syfy wants to do this. I've been waiting for a Ringworld adaptation for so long that I'm happy that it's finally happening (theoretically), but Syfy's track record isn't very good.

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe there's a point of diminishing returns in sharks, disasters and reality TV?

9. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Mega-Puppeteer vs. Kzinti-don?

I've actually not watched anything other than BSG on Siffy in a decade or more... the reports about the Riverworld atrocity kept me away from their Dune ones, though I've heard OK things about those.

10. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I preferred the SiFi (er, SyFy) Dune miniseries over the David Lynch theatrical release. It's obvious their budget was much more limited, but I though the story was far more true to the source material.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I don't know the Source Material, but, I definitely found SyFy Dune Miniseries better than Lynch's

Matter of fact, I believe their Mini-Series overall have a great reputation, the only ones I've heard bad things about were the EarthSea and the RiverWorld ones. I didn't particularly care for their Wizard of Oz one, but, it was well received, so, it seems in this case, the problem was me, not the MiniSeries

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ringworld may have more impact. Childhood's End visuals have been borrowed over and over again by other SF movies and series for years. Ringworld has had few peers in visual fiction.

13. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

14. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Lynch's 'Dune' was way better than the trite Sy-fy put out. It was boring. Sci-fi should never be boring. I didn't like the lead nearly as much as KM. 'Dune' is a classic movie. Makes Trek look like bland soup.

15. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

SyFy original movies are just gawd awful. They're worse than just bad. But they have put out some very good mini series. That channel is a mixed bag to say the least.

16. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I only worry about the quality of major CGI characters like Nessus and Schmee on a TV series budget. Yes, a film would be able to do them in 100% perfection like Gollum, but can Skiffy afford that?

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I don't know about that, TV cgi these days is pretty good...even occasionally on syfy tv movies.

18. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People don't realize that the SyFy movies are supposed to be awful. They're made for next to nothing, and are going for the classic B movie feel. The movies aren't high art, but they're not trying to be that either. The movies are exactly what SyFy wants them to be, and they happen to generate a nice profit too.

19. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I dunno. Once Upon a Time recently had an episode that featured an all-CG character (technically, one that was mo-capped), and it was both a budget-buster and it looked plain awful. And that was on a major network!

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

BSG and Caprica did have the all CGI Cylons and I thought looked pretty good at the time.