To Rename A Show...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Australis, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I was reading through the Wikipedia article on Burn Notice when I saw a list of what the show is called in other countries.

Argentina: Operación Miami ("Operation Miami")
    Bulgaria: "Извън играта" ("Out of the game")
    Canada: (at Série+ only) Agent Libre ("Free Agent")
    Colombia: Burn Notice: Operacion Miami
    Croatia: Odstrel ("The Culling")
    Czech Republic: Status: Nežádoucí ("Status: Ineligible")
    Ecuador: Operación Miami ("Operation Miami")
    Estonia: Viimane Hoiatus ("Last Warning")
    Hungary: Minden lében négy kanál ("Four spoons in each soup". From the proverb "Minden lében kanál" ("He has a spoon in every soup"), meaning: "He has a finger in every pie.")
    Israel: סוכן מחוק ("Erased Agent")
    Italy: Duro A Morire ("Die-hard")
    Lithuania: Vilko Bilietas ("The Ticket of the Wolf")
    Panama: Operación Miami ("Operation Miami")
    Poland: Tożsamość szpiega ("The Identity of a Spy")
    Portugal: Espião Fora-de-jogo ("Offside Spy" a football expression meaning "Spy Out of the Game")
    Serbia: Nepouzdani agenti ("Unreliable Agents")
    Slovenia: Vohun v nemilosti ("Spy Out of Favor")
    Spain: Último aviso ("Last Warning").
    Venezuela: Atrapado en Miami ("Trapped in Miami"),

Some really interesting ones there 'The Ticket of the Wolf'? Sounds like 'Snakes On A Plane', with a werewolf. 'Offside Spy'? 'Last Warning'? :)

So, what intersting renamings have you seen for TV series?

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

when Smallville first started on C4, it was given the title of Smallville: Superman The Early Years.

Cant think of any others however, beyond Strictly Come Dancing, becoming Dancing With The Stars, when its remade around the world.

3. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Tons of shows in Germany, today most shows keep their original title but that wasn't always the case.

Some examples:

The Avengers - Mit Schirm, Charme und Melone (With umbrella, charme and bowler hat)
    Star Trek - Raumschiff Enterprise (Starship Enterprise)
    Murder she wrote - Mord ist ihr Hobby (Murder is her hobby)
    The Fall guy - Ein Colt für alle Fälle (literally "A Colt for all cases" but can also mean "a colt just in case")

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Wasn't EUREKA titled A TOWN CALLED EUREKA in the UK?

5. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

yes that reminds me of another one on ITV, but I cant recall it at present, will post when I do.

This isnt it but, The Office USA became The Office: An American Workplace, when it aired on ITV 2

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Back in the 60s and early 70s when a network show went into syndication they'd often rename it if the show was still producing first run episodes.

BONANZA became PONDEROSA

THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW was retitled ANDY OF MAYBERRY for it's daytime reruns.

THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW became THE DICK VAN DYKE DAYTIME SHOW.

MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY was retitled THE DANNY THOMAS SHOW

Those are the ones I remember but I'm sure there were others.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yes, butI believe that was down to a previous show in the UK having already used the title Eureka.

A quick wiki search says it aired on the BBC in the 80's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_(UK_TV_series)

8. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

In Croatian and Serbian, Alien is translated as “The Eight Passenger” (“Osmi putnik”, can be also read as “An Eight Passenger”). I know this name is also used in other languages (Spanish, Polish and Hungarian to name a few), but it doesn't sound as creepy there.

9. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On my Showcase listing It's still called Burn Notice,Wikipedia must have forgot to say in Quebec?

10. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

found the new I was thinking of Everwood, was aired by ITV under the title of "Our New Life in Everwood"

11. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wikipedia got something wrong? The DEVIL you say.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I kind of like "Free Agent". Can see where they were going with "Out of the Game" and the generic "Operation Miami" is understandable to sell it even if not very true to the nature of the show. "Four Spoons in Each Soup", well, maybe that works better in Hungary...

I think films probably get renamed more than TV shows and I've seen some doozies but nothing comes to mind off-hand.

13. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Like one of the Bond films relabelled 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang'?

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Série+ is a Quebec channel. Quebec in general tends to get weird retitles.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

This happens to books, too. My novel LOOSE ENDS was published in France in THE ASSASSINS NEVER FORGET.

Huh?

16. Dantheman

Dantheman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Some others that I know of are:

Happy Days became Happy Days Again in daytime reruns (Fonzie's Happy Days was a title the network wanted the show to be renamed as, to capitalize on the popularity of the breakout character The Fonz, but the show's producers said "shove it")

Dragnet was renamed Badge 714 (I think this may have applied to the 1950s version only)

Laverne and Shirley was renamed Laverne and Shirley & Friends for the daytime, to capitalize on the popularity of Lenny and Squiggy.

Three's Company wasn't spared the daytime syndication renaming trend: It was renamed Three's Company Too, with episodes of short-lived spin-off series The Ropers and Three's a Crowd being included in the syndication package with it under that name.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I've only had two short stories published in a foreign language (to date), specifically in Russian. "The Hub of the Matter" became "V Gushche Sobytiy" (в гуще событий), meaning "In the Thick of Things," which kind of works. Its sequel "Home is Where the Hub Is" got a more disappointing translation, "Tochka Vihoda" (ТОЧКА ВЫХОДА), which just means "Point of Exit."

18. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

"These Friends of Mine" became "Ellen"

19. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Here in Australia, TOS had a different name when it first aired in the 1960s. It was called, "The Space Adventures of Captain Awesome and his sidekick, Logic Boy!"

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except that wasn't a foreign or syndicated rename, but a retitling of the original show itself after its first season. And it always amused me that they made the change because they thought These Friends of Mine was too generic and weak as a title, but then, literally just weeks after the first season ended, a show called simply Friends premiered and became a smash hit.