Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

At last! And written by Dan Slott? I'm in!

3. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fantastic Four... the book nobody seems to read yet everybody claims to miss when it's gone.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Sara Pichelli's art is also really good. That's a nice combination.

ETA: I'll flat out admit I didn't read whoever was writing the book before it was cancelled. Hickman's the only writer to get them any attention in the past 10 years, frankly. Which is why I genuinely believe Marvel put them on hiatus - despite the conspiracy theories to the contrary.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You just found out about that now? That was huge news everywhere when it happened.

ichab likes this.
  7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The Fantastic Four are, and always have been, my favorite Marvel team. The recent launch of Marvel two-in-one, starring the Thing and the Human Torch is what got me back into Marvel Comics after over two years.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I literally found out about the X-Men a day before I made this post, watching a youtube about Jessica Jones Easter Eggs, wishing that the X-Men were going to show up on Jessica Jones.

Big news?

Bigger than Drumpf?

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Nerd world problems.

Guy Gardener likes this.
  10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Nice to hear that the FF will be back. It's ridiculous for Marvel's flagship title to be cancelled, every. I'm not familiar with either of those creators, but hopefully Marvel is smart enough to put their best people on the project. I might buy it if it looks good.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just recently started getting into the FF, but from everything I know about them, and about Dan Slott, this seems like the perfect match of writer and characters.

12. RJDiogenes

^^ I practically learned to read on the FF back in the Lee-Kirby days, so they are quite special to me. I hope he and the artist have respect for the characters and their history.

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

If Dan Slott is anything, it's respectful for the characters and their history. He strikes me as up there with Mark Waid as part of the old guard of Marvel. Sara Pichelli, I'm less certain of. She's an Italian artist. Her most famous Marvel work is with Miles Morales, first with the Ultimate Comics Spider-Man and now with his Spider-Man book post Secret Wars.

14. RJDiogenes

^^ That's good to hear. I guess we'll have to wait and see about the art. It doesn't sound like she's tackled anything "cosmic" as yet.

15. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She actually rebooted the Guardians of the Galaxy with Bendis, including bringing Angela into the Marvel universe and the crossover where the Shi'ar put Jean Grey on trial for what she did as the Phoenix.

There's no "wait and see", she's truly one of the best artists out there right now, there should be absolutely zero worries on that front.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  16. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, neither the artist or writer are very good, but still probably better then the last terrible FF creative team at least when it comes to writing (I think it was written by James Robinson, a man who has written maybe one good comic since Starman ended). Sure, Dan Slott has written the worst ongoing Spider-Man run since the clone saga ended, and also done some horrible shit that is mildly FF related (like his She-Hulk run that included her being mentally molested by Star Fox, because Slott is both an idiot and a sick fuck) but damn was the last FF book really, really boring. At the very least Slott is interesting in his incompetence, while Robinson modern work is always either just sad and boring or completely out of his mind (Cry for Justice being Robinson's rock bottom point and its admittedly worse then almost all of Slott's worst stuff outside of Slott's mentally abusing She-Hulk story arc).

So, I'm happy FF is coming back. I wish it was with a good writer, but Marvel only has two or three of them at this point so I should just be thankful they didn't stick one of their normal low quality writers like Hickman or Fraction on the book. At least Slott might be bad in a different way, and it probably won't be a boring type of bad.

17. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The soonest Disney's proposed acquisition of Fox will close is January 2019, and approval is far from a sure thing (look at the DOJ's ongoing lawsuit to block the AT&T / Time Warner deal, for example). Until that happens, Disney has literally zero operational control over Fox.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Since Fox has Fox News under it's umbrella and not CNN the DOJ probably won't block it this time.

19. RJDiogenes

^^ I don't think the acquisition includes the news department.

Good to know. I'll see if I can Google some examples.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think this is the first time I've heard Johnathan Hickman and Matt Fraction called bad writers. But given who said it, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

A new bit of theoretical/fan casting has popped up, John Krasinski and Emily Blunt for Reed Richards and Sue Storm.

Turtletrekker likes this.