The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Check back a few pages: It's the wonky 2ft shooting miniature.

2. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

3. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, I see. That would explain it. If there's any chance of going back and fixing this shot with what people have been speculating is Tobias Richter's CGI version of the ship, I would not mind that one bit here.

4. Sho

Hm, tough call to make. The 2ft model was used when the 6-footer was too big to get the camera far away enough or too unwieldy, so for practical reasons, and in terms of original intent using something closer to the 6-footer might be justifyable. Slippery slope and all, though. And personally, I still find these shots pretty interesting.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

When people restore an old car no one questions why the guy didn't put in new electronics. When they restore old paintings no one asks why the restorer didn't add some more flowers to the picture.

It's too bad it has to be an either/or proposition. I'd like to see TNG remastered as close to possible to its original presentation and to have a second presentation where they then go to town tweaking all the elements.

Ever see Antiques Roadshow where someone has some old piece in beautiful condition but because they had it refinished its value went from $10,000 to $500? That's my fear of randomly sprinling in some new CG elements here and there.

I'm not so sure about this argument.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Regardless of their previous rationale, I hope CBS/Paramount keeps it at a decent price this time. As much as I can afford something over $100, I'm just not going to spend that much for one season of a 25 year old TV show.

Even this one.

7. Sho

That's an odd remark. Would it have to be older or newer to justify the price in your eyes?

Personally, I don't find $100 inappropriate given the work going into this and the quality level of the work. Make no mistake, this is an unprecedented product in its scope and category. Other series have been remastered, but nothing like this, and that includes TOS-R.

8. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What the hell is this noise?

I want my awful color timing back.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well a lot of time and money goes into producing any TV show nowadays. And considering how much money TNG has made for them over the years, I seriously doubt there's a concern CBS won't make it's money back on this thing. They could charge $60 or $80 and they'd probably make a ginormous profit.

10. Sho

It's called film grain and it's nifty in motion!

11. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

Here ye here ye! I didnt buy Deep Space on DVD til i cost 20 dollars for season 4, thats acceptable. About the same price as one of those old crappy VHS tapes that Best Buy used to sell. Plus the film looks splendid with my hd cables. I never knew what a difference those hi rez cables made. I mean its not hd, but gotschdarn it sure looks like it, until they show a shot of the station it self then it looks like a VHS tape l aughinh o n l ine! LOL. :lol::guffaw:

anyway so are they gonna remaster this TNG or not? whats that goofy pic of the energy beam from farpoint thats posted previously. it looks awful. tell me please thats not remastered.

12. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sorry, but a more accurate response would be that Trek fans in the US are getting screwed. DVD and Blu Ray prices are waaaay to high. A season of TOS remastered on DVD still costs 70 dollars. It costs 12 pounds in the UK and 25 euros in The Netherlands.

13. Prologic9

Prologic9 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Where exactly can you find TOS blurays for 12 pounds? Amazon.UK has them for 45 pounds (about 70 dollars, go figure).

14. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I clearly said that TOS R DVDs are 12 pounds, not the Blu Rays. In fact, you can get the complete Original Series remastered on DVD for 45 pounds. You can't even buy one season of TOS in the US for that.

As for the complete serieson BD, you can get that at Amazon.uk for 101 pounds and that's 130 dollars, still cheaper than the 183 dollars Amazon.com is asking.

15. Prologic9

Prologic9 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Forgive me, I thought we were discussing the relevant format. I don't think closeout prices for old DVD releases really make your argument. When TNG-HD is released, the prices will likely be roughly the same on either side of the ocean, so I don't really see your point.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^You might need glasses then.

17. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ba-zing!

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yes, it's being remastered, the sampler set comes out next Tuesday. The picture of the energy beam going to Farpiont is apparently from the new effects and the flaws on the saucer rim aside the shot looks perfect and beautiful compared to what's on the DVD now from the original show. (The color timing of the original show was very green.)

Not to mention the shot fixes the "problem" with the energy beam coming from the ship's Captain's Yacht Calypso in the original version to it now coming (more appropriately) from the phaser bank.

The shot does look odd, the smooth edge of the saucer rim and the the lighting from the beam looks over done. Is that, for sure, the real thing in the finished disc or is this possibly an "early draft" of what is on the final DVD?

Eitherway, it still looks nice compared to what we've had forever now.

[​IMG]

20. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.